You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Odin without Jarls, yes its possible!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Odin without Jarls, yes its possible!
Jedi_Wookie
Mortal
posted 22 May 2003 10:39 PM EDT (US)         
Yep, today I played Odin for the first tiem in a week and It was vs poseidon. Didn't sue 1 jarl, i went pure Ulf/Husk/TA!

PrtN_Poshwa
Bah! My other account got screwed!
I HATE RESIGN HACKERS
1800ish- Odin/Zeus
AuthorReplies:
futurehermit
Mortal
posted 22 May 2003 11:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
yeah, why wouldn't that work?

against poseidon u have ulfs to counter his hipps, huskarls to counter his tox, and ta to beat on his heroes, and other troops from afar. makes sense to me.

poseidon has the best prodromos so that'd make using jarls more difficult anyway.

good example of how a god SHOULD be able to adapt to situations. odin is very much like possy that way, a very adaptable god. theoretically, zeus is supposed to be adaptable too. we'll see come the next patch...

anyway, i definitely agree with u. i just wish other civilizations could adapt as well to odin as odin can adapt to them.

fh

NS_Cymophane
Mortal
posted 23 May 2003 03:52 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
I used to play Odin without Jarls and for a long time I didn't really care what those units left to the portable ram button in the hill fort were for. I thought they must be hard to mass anyway and my army of RC ulfs and TA is good enough already. I didn't need them.

Now I use jarls occasionally (and lots of huskies) and they can be pretty useful in certain situations. Sometimes jarls have saved me, they were just the units I needed. In other games you can do without them. Note that many players create lots of cavalry counters because you have a lot of RC in classical already. Like futurehermit said, it's all about adapting, it depends on the situation how strong they are.

Member of NoFx
ESO: NoFx__Cymophane from now on
My website: www.cymophane.tk with Odin recordings and some more
NoFx site: www.nofx.clans.cc
Hadephobia
Mortal
posted 23 May 2003 04:13 AM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
An Ulf + Huskarl combo works best against a Poseidon player using a Prod + Tox combo. In this case, Jarls are carved up like deer, they are practically useless.
Sexy_DeaN
Banned
posted 23 May 2003 08:01 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
I only make jarls if I need them to counter ancestors/myth units or have lots of upgrades for cav already and don't need rams ^^
Jedi_Wookie
Mortal
posted 23 May 2003 08:14 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
If they are using lots of MUs go ahead and use soem Jarls, they are like Heros. I'm talking about not making 100 jarls in a single game.

PrtN_Poshwa
Bah! My other account got screwed!
I HATE RESIGN HACKERS
1800ish- Odin/Zeus
TheGuy33
Mortal
posted 23 May 2003 11:54 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
Um, I haven't massed Jarls in about a month now, and all I've been playing is Odin. I don't get him because he can get uber-Jarls, it's all about the ravens and the healing for me! I use Huskarls, TA's, RC's, and Ulfies more than I use Jarls nowadays. The only thing I use them more than are seige, MU's, and Hersirs. Like I would ever use Hersirs in Heroic

So, how do you make Villagers, anyway?
Five Days Later: Well, I found out how to make Villies, so can you help me out with building a Temple now?
My ESO name is TheGuy33. Pretty clever, huh?
I thought of an ultra-strategic tongue-twister: "How much food is a Fimbulwinter Wolf?" I don't really know...
Mokon
Mortal
posted 23 May 2003 04:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
yeah u can go odin iwthno jarls doesnt need they dont need the nerf.....

also dont build ulfs vs hipps use rc

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Thors_hammer_256
    Mortal
    posted 24 May 2003 00:58 AM EDT (US)     8 / 14       

who are oyu my twin?
    i did practically the same thing not so long ago, i rushed him with ulfs, rcs, tas and kept putting on the pressure (he was poseidon) and then when i got to heroic he resigned cos he had no army. It was a rated game.
    im the same, the jarls are not my only reason or odin, the ravens as someone said are excellent, and the hunting bonus is great as well. huskarls are awesome, they've turned the tide for me many times against greek. remember odin has good 'hill fort units' not just jarls
    but i don get some jarls, they ofcourse come in handy

Sexy_DeaN
    Banned
    posted 24 May 2003 01:05 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
    No need for jarl nerf, just rc lowered hack armour and thundering hooves giving less of a bonus.
    Slogo
    Mortal
    posted 24 May 2003 04:20 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
    Doesn't it make the Jarls worse when the Odin player can also field a very strong army without them?
    Thors_hammer_256
    Mortal
    posted 25 May 2003 07:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
    thats right, this is a good reason the jarls should not be nerfed. ok they have a lot of health, but they get ripped by anti cav.... rcs get absolutely skewered by anti cav, classical age is the pinnacel age for most norse civs, i think it would be unfair if we nerfed their only classical cav. rcs only have about 15 percent hack armour, i dont see how changing that will make such a difference, and thundering hooves i think is fine, 300 food is a huge expense in the classical age.
    obviusly this is debatable, but personally i think the game is now fine how it is, i dont think we need another patch.

[This message has been edited by Thors_hammer_256 (edited 05-25-2003 @ 07:11 AM).]

BraveKarma
    Mortal
    posted 25 May 2003 03:13 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
    And remember that on Odin Jarls have max 14 attack(I'm not sure) and another strong unit Myrmidons have sth like 18 with Hephastus upgrades.
    Peredhil
    Mortal
    posted 25 May 2003 03:35 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
    Against a Norse or Eggie player, you can concentrate creating Myrmidons in Mythic, make a few Petrobolos or Helopoli, and go wreck the enemy town. Best thing to do with petrobolos is to use its range: group your Myrmidons around it for protection.

Peredhil
    Arguments are to be avoided;
    they are always vulgar and often convincing - Oscar Wilde
    emo
    Mortal
    posted 25 May 2003 03:56 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
    Against pos, go all RC in classical...Have like three groups of RCs and raid him hard...I am a pos player...This gives me the most difficult time really...

And to all Pos players, u dont have to stick to hippie+tox combo just because the general trend is so... In heroic use ur hypasists to give a quick death to ulf+huskarl combo...I know it costs alot but it is a worth trade-off...

We began to talk more and more about less and less...

ESO Name: Vagabond_Kanta

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames