You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Is this a sound strategy for online play?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is this a sound strategy for online play?
Luke Overthere
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 04:23 PM EDT (US)         
I have been merrily playing vs the CPU on hard and have finally cracked how to beat him everytime. I am sure there are many ways to do this but the one I find that works for me is to control the gold. I basically scout like mad in Archaic finding all the gold deposits and then when I hit classical I raid with hipp/cent and hover pegasus over the gold deposits closest to the cpu's base, When he decides to mine from a particular deposit I hit him with a raiding party and then retreat before his army get there. This seems to really upset the cpu economy as in some games he hasn't been able to hit classical !!!!

What I was wondering though, was is this a viable strategy when playing online and if it is, at what rating level will this not work at?

AuthorReplies:
Fobulous
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 04:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
yes, this is called cen strangle.. and this strat is being used by top players as well. Gold is the single most important resource to any civ..especially for Eggies.

just go online and you'll be surprised. but beware..human opps are much much different from the Hard AI.

Luke Overthere
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 04:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
lol ! I didn't know they had a name for it!!! I'll try it next time I play a rated.
Pug
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 04:54 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
dont wait, go find them and raid any vills you can. Never stop raiding them.

R.I.P Shiva
tbarak
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 05:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
I don't want to diminish your conquering the AI- that's a great start! But, the AI is very predictable and once you know how to beat it, doing so becomes a matter of routine. Controlling the gold will win you games but live opponents will bring surprises that the AI is just not capable of. Now that your confidence level is up it is time to start facing live opponents so get on ESO and start playing! There's a whole new world of discovery waiting.
Luke Overthere
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 06:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Well, I tried the strat online. It didn't go exactly as I intended but I won the game anyway. I played as Zeus and I was playing against a Norse player ( there seems to be an overabundance of Norse don't you think? ).

I scouted him out but he didn't seem to be straying too far away from his base for his gold (it was still early in the game so he didn't really need to) but I did come across a caravan with 10 of those nasty little dwarves collecting wood.

So I attacked them with 2 centaurs first (as that is all I had raiding at the time) and killed 2 before they ran after me. By this time I had 5 hipp heading that way so I let my centaurs run past my charging hip and it was goodbye beardies. After that I decided to move my raiding party out of the way of a counter attack which just happened to be the same place as a Norse temple. I had built up another raiding party by then, Hip only, as wood was getting scarce (archers queued), so I attacked the temple with my raiding party and then sent the second raidng party up as a second wave. The expected counter-attack came and we ended up cancelling each other out but my econ was booming by now so I kept building hip/tox with some Hydras thrown in (IMO hydras are excellent vs. Norse) and when I hit my pop cap I started upgrading. I took one of his forward tcs with the army I had built up and I sent some villagers up to take it as my own when he had massed an army of his own and attacked my villies. I then used Ceasefire then (I picked that up from someone on these forums - thx whoever it was!!) and by the time the Ceasefire was over it was my tc and I had a huge army sitting there.

It was all ever after that really. I just made more units than he was killing and with the help of the old catapults (petroblos??) it was gg.

From looking at the post game data it seems that the Ceasefire was the turning point of the game (he actually was beating me in every aspect most of the game)

Now, I am still a rookie as I am only 1599 (after that game) but I have won 3 games in a row now. Hopefully 1650+ awaits me soon......

bane_of_Canada
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 06:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
if you better practice vs an AI download the admiral AI or battlemachine. Its a more accurate AI to practice against and simulates humans more altho it may be a bit above your skill level you should still try it.
AlphaUriel
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 10:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Centaurs are definitely an awesome raiding unit. And don't complain too much about the over-abundance of Norse.. centaurs rock Norse Ranged MUs like wadjets and centaurs always give Norse trouble, since they have no ranged heroes. Especially on quick raids, since hersir are so slow and throwing-axemen have such a limited range.

When I raid with centaurs, I usually prefer to use the archaic age hero instead of hipps, but that's just a personal preference.

Check out this link: http://ksjoseywales.nodecam.com/index.php?cat=20

It's KS Josey Wales's write-up of his "centaur strangle", and has some great recorded games of it in action. There's also a bunch of them under the Zeus recorded games section. If you have any questions about it, ask them under the Q and A link on the bottom left side, chances are Josey will help you out.

Luke Overthere
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 04:24 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Thanks for the info. Any help on playing as Zeus is much appreciated!!
Letheb
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 05:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
the most important difference between people and ai is that people know how to raid you as well as you can raid them.

that and people raid before 10 minutes into the game (5 or 6 minutes for even rookies, but the computer doesnt attack at all until its sitting in mythic, and it doesnt do large armies either...)

ESO- Lehteb

Once upon a time, I thought I was good at AoM. Then I logged onto ESO. My views have been altered

MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 08:28 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
Letheb,

"Once upon a time, I thought I was good at AoM. Then I logged onto ESO. My views have been altered"

I hear that, man do I hear that!
-

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Thors_hammer_256
Mortal
posted 16 August 2003 04:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
that was the same for me, i thought i was really good then this guy norse rushed me and when i look back on him now HE SUCKS
but i didnt know how to play so it was unfair LOL

yes their is an overbundance of norse, all you 1650- ppl think you know how to use them but you cant, so greeks vs any norse 1650 - will win trust me.

yes the AI is very different to players, they will fight their army until it dies, players are smart and conserve their army. thats just an example.

your raiding tactics are quite good for someone who doesnt know anything about ESO play, did you see the noobie guides b4 you tried the hard computers? they are what helped me beat them.

oh and a thing when versing norse (i know i play norse all the time) in classical MASS TOXOTES it pisses norse players off so much trust me.
thought you might like some advice

good luck on getting to 1650

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames