You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Some cool stuff on SoO's Chain Lightning
Bottom
Topic Subject:Some cool stuff on SoO's Chain Lightning
leandro
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 08:03 PM EDT (US)         
Don't know if anyone posted something like this yet, but here goes...

Here's a few facts about SoO's chain lightning.

-Chain lightning does 60 unmodified hack damage. Unlike most other units, the 60 damage is per strike and not per second.
-SoO has a range of 18, meaning the initial bolt can hit a target at that range. The successive bolts make it possible for SoO's chain lightning to hit a target beyond the 18 range.
-After the initial bolt, a maximum of 4 successive bolts can strike.

Now here are some small observations:

1) While the initial bolt has a maximum range of 18, the successive bolts do not. Check out [Figure 1]. The first sentry tower is located exactly at the SoO's max range. The distance from tower 1 to tower 2 is obviously much less than the distance from SoO to tower 1.

[Figure 1]

2) This concerns the algorithm for how the successive bolts choose their targets. First of all, it is not random. When attacking targets, the lightning will always take the same target path as long as both SoO and the targets remain stationary. It seems as though the successive bolts' priority when choosing additional targets is direction rather than distance. Notice on [Figure 2] how the towers above and below the tower struck by the initial bolt are closer than the one on the far right? Yet the tower on the far right is struck by the 2nd bolt, and the other towers are ignored. Also notice that the direction from the inital target to the tower on the far right is roughly the same as the direction from SoO to the initial target.

[Figure 2]

[Figure 3]

Why does this matter? Look at [Figure 3]. It is the exact same setup as in [Figure 2] except SoO is positioned differently. Look how many targets are hit from this angle. Another little theory of mine is there is a maximum angle that is taken into consideration. What I mean is even if successive targets are in range, but at quite obtuse angles, then they will not be considered for targetting of successive bolts. That is why a bolt strikes from the bottom-most tower to the right-most tower in [Figure 3], but a bolt does come back and strike from the right-most tower to the bottom-most in [Figure 2]. They are exactly the same setup and the distance is exactly the same as well, but in [Figure 1] the angle is much more obtuse.

3) If two targets are at equal angles with respect to the last bolt, the closer one is chosen.

[Figure 4]

4) Can SoO’s lightning hit from ground units/buildings to air units and vice-versa?
Yup. Check out [Figure 5]. How does the flying unit affect the target path now? I don’t believe it does any differently from ground-to-ground, because air units have a respective ground position (to see what I mean try placing down a flying unit in the editor).

[Figure 5]

AuthorReplies:
Holy_Punk
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 08:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
Cool post. Especially pictures. Nice to know these things. However, in real game it would be much harder to do. Also, could you add one more picture related to caption below?

Figure 6. SoO deals a lot of damage with up to four lightning bolts that he can use repeatedly. But it takes only one Zeus's bolt to fry SoO. (See picture bolow).

Holy Punk.

Sexy_DeaN
Banned
posted 11 August 2003 08:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Nice
J_Bone
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 09:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Very informative. Thanks a lot.

Yes folks it's me!!!!
GOTD_FireCobra
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 10:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
The same can probably be assumed for Osiris too?

The very irregular poster...
Ekanta
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 10:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Where do you buy a staff like that?
AlphaUriel
Mortal
posted 11 August 2003 10:12 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Awesome post. Thanks for the info.

I wonder why some units' damage is listed per attack, and other units' damage is listed per second? I would think a uniform system would make the most sense.

*edit* Forgot to mention, that phoenix picture is hilarious.

[This message has been edited by AlphaUriel (edited 08-11-2003 @ 10:13 PM).]

KRool
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 02:57 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Great stuff! Thanks!

K.Rool,
Master of unnecessary knowledge...
OutThere
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 04:25 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
Good post.
I espescially liked figure 5
NS_Cymophane
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 04:46 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
Very nice post

Member of NoFx
ESO: NoFx__Cymophane from now on
My website: www.cymophane.tk with Odin recordings and some more
NoFx site: www.nofx.clans.cc
Spy_Lord
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 05:33 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Great post, should be front page stuff .
nifty_PS2MAN
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 06:44 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
yeah but you forget

SoS Range 18

Tower Range 20

Whats the problem here?

PS2MAN
The Mythod Clan Burns To Ashes
Long Live The Phoenix!!!!
Phoenix_PS2MAN an Norse Wars Expert

Currently Recuriting Experienced NW UK Players.
NIB
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 06:47 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16       

Quote:

yeah but you forget
SoS Range 18

Tower Range 20

Whats the problem here?

He doesnt say to use soo against towers. He just used towers cause they are tough enough(so that you can do many tests without having to rebuild them) and cause they are small and immobile. He just shows the pattern of lighting hitting. He could have used normal units instead but for the reasons that i said he preferred towers.

Good post btw.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

leandro
Mortal
posted 12 August 2003 09:20 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
Hey thanks guys.

NIB's right. I first tried w/ units, didn't go so well because they'd start to move around and other structures were way too weak or too large to demonstrate distances well and too large that they would make the lightning difficult to see.

BTW the server where the images are located is down at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[This message has been edited by leandro (edited 08-12-2003 @ 10:50 PM).]

Meow_Man_LOL
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 05:51 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Ekanta, hahah din pajas ^^

Gött mos säger jag

Vagabond_Meow
Rating: 1843 God: Ra
Rating: 1833 God: Isis
leandro
Mortal
posted 14 August 2003 03:20 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
*bump*
trade_clanleader
Mortal
posted 15 August 2003 03:41 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
nice post i was wondering about SoO btw what about that god osiris 20k xp and 5k hack,pierce and crush damage?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames