Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Hotkeys,
Bottom
Topic Subject:Hotkeys,
DaWn_VeNoM
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 02:25 AM EDT (US)         
Every game I play I say right Im gonna use hotkeys but I never seem to be able 2... Mentally..

I was wondering is it really essential to use hotkeys to become a good player? If so tell me why, and which ones are most effective.

Cheers,

AuthorReplies:
Holy_Punk
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 04:01 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17       
I don't think one can pass 1670 without using hotkeys. Hotkeys speed up everything plus they keep you organized. For example, I assign all military buildings of one type to certain hotkey. When I need to produce certain unit I just press, say, "9+Q+Q+Q" and get NumberOfAcademies*3 hoplites. On maps like Midgard, when I build on both sodes, I assign buildings of certain type and side of the lake to the certain hotkey, so my units don't run around the lake.
"H+ shift + v" is a must in the start of any game. Idle villie and idle military unit hotkey is useful, combined with baners, especially idle villie. It's handy to use hotkeys for groups of similar units to direct those 9 Slingers on Toxotes (using shift+click on next Tox to get them one after one).
I would recommend to try some combinations and setup hotkeys the way you like it - default mapping is not very convinient.
I also find camera rotation being very useful sometimes when placing storehouse or checking relic.
By the way, try Ctrl+Down in the beginning of the game - it removes all these frames from the screen - makes all of your monitor work for you. I feel uncomfortable with all these useless frames on the screen.

Holy Punk.

[This message has been edited by Holy_Punk (edited 08-13-2003 @ 04:06 AM).]

Quintus
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 04:13 AM EDT (US)     2 / 17       
I use hotkeys for nearly everything.
It's speeds things up so much.
A must is H+V+V+V+V at the start of a game.
Another must is CTRL+D +F for a fishing boat (CTRL+D to cycle docks)
Also grouping military buildings is also a good thing.
When laying farms I always click the vill an then press F and then click where I want the farm, I timed it with and with out hotkeys.
With hotkeys I was 3x faster laying 10 farms.

I think that(for me at least) using all hotkeys slows you down, however a combination of hotkeys and mouse clicks can make you faster than your opponent.

Don't judge those who try and fail.
Judge only those who fail to try.
Meto
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 06:00 AM EDT (US)     3 / 17       
well if you want to learn the hostkeys then learn them a little at the time.

i started out with the tc villager build, that you use in the beginning.
h +v+v+v+v+v

then i learned the build keys for gathering camp
and it is granery (g)
lumber camp (n)
gold mine (m)
and for house (e)
you learn them a little at the time.

atm im not using all the hotkeys, but am beginning to use a lot of them, and it is faster, especially if you wanna train units from rax at the other side of the map, i have rax on 6 and then a if i want to train axemen, and that way i dont have to go to another part of the screen and select the rax, then press icon for axeman.

so i would say i save about 10 sec everytime i want to train something which is often.
so hotkeys can be use quite effectively.

Holy_Punk
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 06:01 AM EDT (US)     4 / 17       
FYI, "h -> shift+v" saves you 4 pressing of "v".

Holy Punk.

oxyGENIUS
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 06:41 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17       
i try to arrange my hotkeys so that ill never have to look at my keyboard. i use all the reachable keys on the left side of the keyboard as hotkeys. i also use the far left +,- keys of formation sence its right next to my mouse and easily reachable with my thumb.

Keep your allies close and you enemies closer.

Harry_Sax

RoD_ReaVer
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 07:40 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17       
i can never do that, ive tried, but it is so hard, i dont know howe they do it
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 08:21 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17       
DaWn_VeNoM,

"I was wondering is it really essential to use hotkeys to become a good player?"

I've read posts from some of the top (Stats wise) players who state that you can get to around 1850 without or with minimal Hot Key usage, beyond that you must use Hot Keys.
-

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Riantkd
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 08:25 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17       
LOL cant get past 1670 with out using them???? I dont think I have ever used them at hover around 1750+ mand ide say the main reason is the fact the god i use is Loki and excluding Rushing he is a very hard God to use. U must be a very bad player if u cannot pass 1670
IX_Chimera
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 08:38 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17       
i am 19xx and i use the shift key and h thats it
RoD_ReaVer
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 08:49 AM EDT (US)     10 / 17       
sweet, u in a clan???
NIB
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 10:08 AM EDT (US)     11 / 17       
I am pretty sure that there are even 2k rated players that only use shift and h too. But the thing is that hotkeys make your life much easier and enable you to play easier and slightly faster.

But if you are used to play without using hotkeys, learning hotkeys is really hard. Same goes when you remap your hotkeys.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

Seraphim13
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 01:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17       
Can someone tell me how to rotate the camera.....
ArtemisChimera
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 02:12 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17       
To rotate the camera, hold down ctrl then the arrow keys. Or you can use a mouse wheel.

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 02:12 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17       
"Can someone tell me how to rotate the camera"

If you have a wheel mouse, the wheel.

If not, the arrow keys I believe (may be shift or control arrow). I have a wheel mouse so I've never tried any other way.
-

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
oxyGENIUS
Mortal
posted 13 August 2003 02:47 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17       
you must allow map rotation in options

Keep your allies close and you enemies closer.

Harry_Sax

Seraphim13
Mortal
posted 14 August 2003 02:58 AM EDT (US)     16 / 17       
Thanks a bunch guys, will try that out...finally I don't need to suffer the agony of sending my gatherers to the other side of the forest to chop trees by mistake..
bad_mood_dude
Mortal
posted 14 August 2003 03:08 AM EDT (US)     17 / 17       
hotkeys are pretty important. I use chichiris hotkeys. I think that hotkeys will make u worse at first, but when u get used to them, it increases ur game speed.

~*Bad_Mood_Dude*~

ESO: badmooddude

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames