You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » lol @ Ra's ships.
Bottom
Topic Subject:lol @ Ra's ships.
WILHELM_II
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 02:32 AM EDT (US)         
How many times do you hear that ra sucks on sea? In UKAK_Sando's guide it is said that Ra's only sea tech is war barge, in The Golden Arm's guide it is said that Ra is worst on sea.

Is everyone crazy? Ra get the best siege ships in the whole game with 2 awesome techs : Stones of red Linin, Funeral Barge. Please learn ur techs ppl.

FAC ID
AuthorReplies:
Liquid_
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 03:15 AM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
Oh so funny, let us Laff Out Loud
WILHELM_II
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 03:55 AM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
where did i say this is supposed to be funny??

N00B

FAC ID
Sorceror_Erebus
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 04:22 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
you shoulden't call people n00bs beacuse you can get a bad reputation

L...O...L
whats so funny?

(`..>σŕęŕŕ Σŕεbś<..)
Professor for the Tsuninversity
Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
Yohan Hoogland
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 04:30 AM EDT (US)     4 / 23       

Quote:

'lol @ Ra's ships.'

Quote:

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
Vassilis
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 05:32 AM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
That tech costs 300 wood I think and that wood should be used on getting more ships to win the see not some BS tech.

Hades and Ra get no free water MU in heroic and thats why they suck in water maps.

Minion_10
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 07:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
Ok, Ra is very good at sea, not because of the fact that he has upgrades for War Barges. When is the last time you've seen anyone upgrade a Myth Tech only for boats?? Ra is good at sea because of egypt's spammable docks, Priest/Pharoah empowering gold+wood, and the ability of fishing ships to create docks.

If you create 3-5 docks in archaic/transition to classical, you can easily outmass another classical boater or even Zeus FHr. I've only had trouble against a Kronos boat rusher(i hate deconstruction + Prometheons attacking dock )

ESO:Noob4_the_Minion
Rating:1700++(TT)
Currently playing:Ra, Zeus, Hades
Visit Noob4_ forums for Recs and chat!

Fwiffo del desierto
Mortal
(id: Fwiffo)
posted 04 May 2004 07:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
Ra doesn't really suck at sea....

1.) Priest empowering

2.) Cheap docks

3.) Bast's wood tech

4.) Sphinxes to raze enemy docks

If you galley rush hard enough, 1 or 2 scyllas isn't going to do a lot

Everyone got AIDS and shit
lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 08:02 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
My personal favorite strat is to spam docks early on with fishing ships. Then i pump out kebenits very early (have a pharoah empower their creation) and have a couple of them raze his fishing ships extra fast. Then i settle down to a more regular build and i should win since he is quite crippled. Now i realize this is a thread about ra but id just like to point out that plague of serpents rules on water. I use that GP (or if im Ra use priests empowering the docks and sphinxes to take down his docks) to further my lead. Then once they get to heroic and try to spam MU's i will start to focus on land much more. I then just have a few "wolf packs" of kebinits do hit and run on his fishing ships which if he does win water in heroic will stop him from gaining a lead from it. My kebenits outrun his MU's and siege ships while they counter the ramming ships. If he takes down my docks ill just use a stray fishing ship to remake them. If he has enough ships to cover the shores to stop me from building docks and to guard his fishing ships then hes not concentrating on land enough and id have taken map control and boomed which means victroy as an eggy.

Ra is actually an extremely good classical water god. He has a wood gathering tech and is able to use the pharoah to empower wood while still getting his ships out super fast using priests. However he has no heroic naval MU which is why i advise you to shift your focus quickly to land once your opponent is in heroic. You really cant beat naval MU's so theres no point in fighting for it. However keep your kebenits alive as long as possible and raid his fishing ships to stop him from gaining a better eco from water for the time being. By this time youll have mounted an attack on land while hes used up a large amount of pop for water MU's and focused on water far too much. The trick is to win water in classical and hold it long enough to have an uber boom and gain map control while your opponent then focuses too much on taking the water back.

Matei
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 08:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
"lol" means Laugh Out loud.

However, Ra is not very bad on the sea, because of 3 things:
1) Being Egyptian, he pays no wood and very little gold for making docks. This saves resources for ships. He can actually make 2 docks very quickly right off the start, with the Priest empowering!
2) He has access to Bast, which provides a very cheap technology for wood cutting.
3) The Priest empowering also gives his economy an extra boost for making ships quickly.

The only thing that other Egyptians have that helps on water is Plague of Serpents. Ra's economy makes up for this disadvantage.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 05-05-2004 @ 08:31 AM).]

Regalto
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 08:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
u guys act like a few water MU's is the end of the world
with the X-pack's heroic fleet, they should be no biggie
Also, you should have attacked and sufficiently crippled or destroyed his fishing, so its not worth it to him to build water MU's
If u have destroyed much fishing, he should be transitioning onto land food for him to even have enough food to get to heroic.
WILHELM_II
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 08:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
Quote:

'lol @ Ra's ships.'

Quote:

lol isnt always "laugh out loud"

Look Out Lads @ Ra's ships

and i called him n00b becouse while he knew i was eight he just had to give bad comment

FAC ID
GRUNT
Mortal
posted 04 May 2004 09:55 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
Some of us don't have the X-pakc .
Vassilis
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 06:23 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23       
You guys don't understand. Some civs can get a free MU while you have to pay for your fleet.

The MU will do massive damage to your fleet, imagine if the battle is equal (not hard with shooting docks) then suddently you see a leviathan appear and he also casts ancestors in water who do you think will win?

How could Hades or Ra counter that when they have no aggressive gp's to use in heroic? At least if curse or locust swarm could affect fighting ships, but no

Atties are even worse. Oranos and Gaia can have a free MU in classical as well as heroic. Carnivora kills a ship in 1 hit and can be casted 3 times. Chaos is lethal when used on your ships not to mention nereids.

Oranos on average can cast 8 times his gp's at sea (3 shockwave, 3 carnivora, 2 chaos) how many gp's can Hades and Ra cast?

I think the sea is very unbalanced I hope ES does something about it in the next patch.

WILHELM_II
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 08:19 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
Locusts affect civilian units, so ships too, thats one for ra... ra has tornado... ra has shifting sands.... sea is balanced. For no MU Ra get good ships. And heck, If you put down some priests at the beach and bring all your ships there, theyll just whoop the MU(s)

For hades... hes only got earthquake, but he got this great GP : restoration. It is really decisive. Pestilence is the most devastating in the game when you put it on someones dock in begin classical and then shoot it down. Often done.

Please know the game

FAC ID
ipso
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 11:39 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
if your 8, then why do you:

a) have such a horny sig
b)have such a rank/dumb location

?

also, comments like "Please know the game" after compleatly disregarding a valid argument dont win you friends. sure, what you said was right, but you should at least consider both sides before posting. for your own sake.

everything you post reeks of arrogance, and, although you have some knowledge of the game, you should learn to be more humble, it'll help you in later life.

WILHELM_II
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 01:53 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
1. i'm 14
2. i'll be more humble, k. But useless reactions that have nothing to do with topic = anger.

And my sig, well is my sig

Quote:

How could Hades or Ra counter that when they have no aggressive gp's to use in heroic? At least if curse or locust swarm could affect fighting ships, but no

Im sorry about saying "please know the game", but I got irrited becouse if it would damage fighting ships it would be OP. It is supposed to be villager/farm killing. Which = recource killing. But the argument was not really valid. Yes ra has no "real" (cough) offensive water GP, but that doesnt mean that he is totally useless on water. The Locust can kill a lot of fishing ships.

FAC ID
ipso
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 02:08 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
ok, i just confused by

Quote:

and i called him n00b becouse while he knew i was eight he just had to give bad comment

if your going to "discuss" someones views, quote them and give calm, correct reasons why you think they are wrong or why you disagree. no one god is so bad on sea that they cant win it, but yes, ra has a long-term disadvantage. if fighting as ra, you can anticipate things like gp's/free mu's, and build accordingly. ra's strength is in his eco, so at sea you should be able to outmass your opponent, especially as he makes the transition to heroic. remember a gp is just a short-term boost. this is nasty on sea, as one or two fight lost and your done, but you can always come back and raid his fishing later. most likely you'll be finished fighting on sea early on anyway.

Vassilis
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 02:35 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
Getting a free super unit in heroic can decide the water battle. He dosen't need to get another scylla/leviathan out and if it comes to the point were he is attacking your docks then you have lost the sea so don't count on priests or anything to save you.

And been so arrogant about your bullshit point of view makes me wonder whether you have ever played against oranos on medit or maybe jerking off as hard as you do must have caused you permenent brain damage

Yohan Hoogland
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 02:46 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
To be honest, Ra IS weak at sea. You can talk about it as much as you want, but experience learns that 99% of all water-games are done before those flashy techs come in play. (I mean that not the game is over, but the water is won)

Reality learns that Heroic Fleet doesn't really help you. Look at it this way: Water Myth Units are often unstopable. Heroic Fleet provides your "human" ships with a 1,5x multiplier vs. (water) Myth Units, but that hardly helps. Most Water Myth units have tons of HP, and often deal so much damage, that it can easily take out a few boats (with Heroic Fleet) before going down itself. Heroic Fleet is quite worthless. Expensive, doesn't deal bad damage.

WILHELM_II, you say the following:

Quote:

Ra get the best siege ships in the whole game with 2 awesome techs : Stones of red Linin, Funeral Barge.

In theory, you are right. But as said, water games don't go on that long, making those techs absolutely WORTHLESS. For the resources spent on that tech, you can better have 2/3 ships extra, or the attack/armor techs from the armory.

My point: Water games don't last long enough to make the techs you described worth getting, and Ra sucks at water because he is not able to get any water Myth Unit or good water techs.

Actually, all (myth) water techs are worthless. I can't remember me getting water techs but games where I had already won and I was researching techs to make Postgame look better. (more upgrades and stuff )

Ah well, I'm going to watch Chelsea - AS Monaco now, as everyone should

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
VAL_The_Speaker
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 03:32 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
funeral barge... wtf who uses that?
sea wars only go on till early heroic and at that time you arent able to afford those big techs

the only time you want to research those techs are in islands, archipilago and such games, maybe also on highland and medit so it can attack the land

(-speaker-)
:unsure:
lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 03:40 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23       

Quote:

or maybe jerking off as hard as you do must have caused you permenent brain damage

LOL!

Yeah i was wondering when you said you were 8 and you had that sig.

Anyways back on topic. Heres the fact. Ra is pretty good on water in classical but hes unlikely to hold it in heroic (although you can mass priests to take down his MU's that are taking down your docks). So use your economic advantage of having water in classical to make a quick land grab or quick attack while your opponent is trying to take the water back. At the very least he'll have to stop fosusing on water to stop you and youll keep the water.

[This message has been edited by lessthanjakeman9 (edited 05-05-2004 @ 03:41 PM).]

iam_Chrono_J
Mortal
posted 05 May 2004 10:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
Ra isn't very good on water because he doesn't get MUs. Those ship techs don't do a thing because you won't have them when you are fighting for the sea.
WILHELM_II
Mortal
posted 06 May 2004 05:39 AM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
[/quote]and i called him n00b becouse while he knew i was eight he just had to give bad comment[quote]

LOL!
eight=right. Typo :|

About that Funeral Berge is never researched, and that water games don't last that long. OKAY. But what is the key to haveing the sea? Getting enemy docks. And what do you need to kill enemy docks? Siege ships. These techs make them have more attack versus the main ship (arrow ship) on top of their original bonus attack. And the other tech makes it stronger and have more range. This is perfect to outrange those docks with garrisoned ships. Also nice to pick off one tower from the sea on medit (most times you could also pick off some houses). And the stronger the ships, the faster docks will go down.

But I agree, games don't last that long. But that doesn't mean Ra is bad at sea. Ever trying to sandshift enemy woodvils?

Soccer??? Watch more sitcoms... Abfab or The Office on Nederland 3 rock Yohan :P

And about that I jerk off so much... who said that? I just said I love the man who invented it... who says I even DO it???

Okay, okay, ill be less *cough* arrogant *cough*. But it's irritating when arguments are brought up that have no solid ground at all. And people keeping things up that it is right. And ipso, thx on telling me I know much about the game

About Oranos on sea.. I have tried. Servants = Little Devils With Tridents That In Comics Stick Them In Your Behind. Atties get the only Classical MU in the whole game. But a fun thing on Medit = Put 5 priests on middle island. It works well, but protect them. And one other thing I saw from Oranos was very lame. Builts Skypassage on Island and spawns Lampades form it. Really lame. Good strat, but very lame. Btw, did you know that if land units have less than 99% crush armor, War Barge will do crush armor, instead of normal pierce armor it should do on land units? Sometimes it gives more damage than if it would do pierce, sometimes more. Ill give a list on units where this applies :

Helepolis (50%)
Minotaur (80%) (Bull too)
Cyclops (80%) (Elder too)
Centaur (80%) (Polemarch have got 85% Crush armor instead of 80%)
Hydra (80%)
Manticore (80%)
Nemean Lion (80%) (Orthus ones too)
Colossus (80%) (Silver and Gold too)
Medusa (80%) (Matriarch too)
Chimera (80%) (Tyrant too)
Sentinel (10%) (Sometimes the enemy TC is close enough to sea when enemy is Hades on medit for when he casts Sentinel you can reach it with War Barges, although this is rare and should be considered a fault in the map)

Catapult (80%)
Anubite (80%) (Guardian Anubite too)
Sphinx (80%) (Criosphinx too) (Hieracosphinx has 85% crush armor instead of 80%)
Wadjet (80%)
Petsuchos (80%)
Scarab (80%) (weird though, while this is actually a siege Myth unit, that usually get less crush armor)
Scorpion Man (80%)
Avenger (80%)
Mummy (80%) (Vizier too)
Phoenix (80%)

Portable Ram (90%)
Ballista (90%)
Einherjar (80%)
Valkyrie (80%)
Troll (80%) (Hamartroll too)
Mountain Giant (80%)
Frost Giant (80%)
Battle Boar (80%)