You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » What makes Norse the winner in games?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What makes Norse the winner in games?
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 07 May 2004 04:53 PM EDT (US)         
What specific accurances do you find in all of your games you play as norse or against norse that makes the Norse player win?

For me, I find that having a constant battle of units being constantly being reinforced into, especially if I have towers and/or forts backing me up. This battle commonly occures when I move a forward build right on the front side of his base, where me newly created units and his newly created units meet, out of his tower fire. This is mostly typical of what happens versus greek for me.

What makes norse win?

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
AuthorReplies:
Minion_10
Mortal
posted 07 May 2004 05:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20       
Well, in some of my recent games I played (as Ra or Poseidon), I have a tough time taking down Norse MU... In one game I played against Loki as Poseidon, the Loki player had 5 Battle Boars in one battle-with about the same amount of Einherjars-, I couldn't get my Heroes out fast enough to deal with them all. In another Mediterannean Game, the water battles were over and the Thor player got my TC, I couldnt fight kill off his Hersir+Ulfsarks and I ended up losing that game.
So basically, MU and forward TCs are good to take advantage of as Norse.

ESO:Noob4_the_Minion
Rating:1700++(TT)
Currently playing:Ra, Zeus, Hades
Visit Noob4_ forums for Recs and chat!

Freater
Mortal
posted 07 May 2004 05:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20       
for a norse player to win, he has to really force his or her opponent to stay in their base. fb, get forts/towers, apply constant pressure, and not let teh opponent think about expanding. keep the enemy concentrating on the fight at hand, or if they do not, raze their base to the ground. slowly take map control and gain an economic advantage while they are struggling to keep their villies out of your tower/fort fire.

He may be a democrat, but he is still a human being...
Antz
Mortal
posted 07 May 2004 06:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20       
To hit early and to hit hard! Norse have the worst army in classical so numbers, speed and early is your advantages. You should also try to get map control. Once you're in heroic (if the game goes there) drop down some hillforts, spam units from them, invoke flamming weapons, gg (usually).

The best clan ever is TOAO Clan!
Hrolf the Reborn
Mortal
posted 08 May 2004 07:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20       
the fact that Norse inf units can biuld and make units fast and right close to the battle, gives them an advantage, and there MU's are good too

Strategist, Age fan, owner of AoM beta, and future game devolper.
lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 08 May 2004 07:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20       
Norse has to get map control early and take down enemy buildings and raid. Without downed buildings and raids they cant win battles and without map control they cant win a long game so you NEED those things to win.
Tordenskiold
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 03:27 AM EDT (US)     6 / 20       

Quote:

Norse have the worst army in classical so numbers, speed and early is your advantages.

Which would you rather have ??

RC, TA, Ulfies and hersir.

Spearmen, slinger, axemen, priests.

I still say eggies have the worst classical army, that's why they have to FH 99% of the time.

However, they are still overpowered

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
Antz
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 05:17 AM EDT (US)     7 / 20       
Spears/axes rox Norse! Sure their troops are to weak to trash down a TC but they can win the battles vs Norse.

The best clan ever is TOAO Clan!
huangys
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 12:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20       
Yeah, I agree, eggys unit are dirt cheap and made superfast! However, Norse Units are differnt. Norse only advantage is speed (as they said) early map control is unbeatable, I almost always loose to that. If a Norse try to boom, it gets really ugly.
Orion_Tok
Mortal
(id: Sp3ctre)
posted 09 May 2004 04:35 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20       
Slingers+Spear or Slinger+Axe combo owns Norse in Classical. Eggy does have the weakest Classic compared to Greeks or Atty, but against Norse it isn't

Proud member of the Orion Clan
Orion_Tok
Check out my Japanese Civilisation Design Here!
ipso
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 04:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20       
if backed by a good enough econ, eggy has the best classic army, due to it being mainly hard counters in an ideal situation, the eggy player would be constantly making counters to whatever units you throw out; out massing you and countering you isnt that nice.

[This message has been edited by ipso (edited 05-09-2004 @ 04:46 PM).]

lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 05:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20       
2/3 axemen and 1/3 spearmen will kill all norse. Ulfs,TA, and hersirs are destroyed by the axemen. Axemen dont do all that bad vs rc anyways but with the extra spears youll kill them pretty well too. Theres nothing much norse can do with that combo.
arunprasaad_s
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 05:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20       
^^Are'nt TAs supposed to counter infantry?
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 06:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20       
How much of this makes sense when put together...

1. Norse myth units
2. Resource ownership
3. maintaing economic headstart
4. Staying close to the opponet
5. Constant fighting offensivly
6. Raiding vils
7. Key times to use god powers? (FW, walking woods, frost, all major game changing?)

So, you want to be attacking early and keep lots of pressure. This means favor. Favor means myth units, which are hard to take down. Attacking opponets vils while keeping your own safe because of offensive. Use infantry units building skills and speed to keep a forward base going to keep fighting offensive.

I specifically want to add for the offensive point, that if you watch in many recs, where they have equal tcs, usaully one, the norse player will fall behind in score in periods of no fighting, and will gain score wise when fighting constantly, yet loses score wise again in one big unreinforced clashes.

The counters to norse would be anything that would disrupt these things that make them win. So far we see that eggy hard counter quick flooding can beat norse units in a constant battle. Anything that can effectivly remove norse myth units quickly and with little damage to itself is a stopper. Anything that can prevent or destroy forward buildings would defeat norse. Anything to prevent GP from working might halt norse. Not being able to effeciently and effectivly prevent resources from the opponet stops norse.

Those stoppers must be norses uphill battles. Where do you find those problems, and what is the best work around?

And is there still anything else somebody notices that makes norse the winner, or yet is anything numbered debatable to be true or not, expecially if it goes for all civs and isn't norse uniquely effective?

Vanilla.
Fiyastone
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 09:04 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20       
TA'S are soft-infantry counters meaning they do good vs. infantry and decent against calvery and some archers
Axemen are hard-infantry counters meaning they are ONLY good vs. infantry.. they are decent vs. calvery because of their fairly high hack armor but die like flies to arrows... to kill axemen, lure them into a trap where u either have buildings or balista to kill them.. this is countered by haveing the high pierce armor spearmen....

but hey, at least ES made good checks and balances to the original 3 civs... that 4th one just throw the game into whack....lol

Ekalavya
Mortal
posted 12 May 2004 10:05 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20       
whoa. throwing axemen are soft infantry counters?
though ive heard rumors that in equal numbers hoplites actually defeat throwing axemen, i distinctly remember reading that throwing axemen are the strongest counter-infantry unit of all cultures in the game.
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 12 May 2004 10:29 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20       
^it's on a screen when you first install the game.

They have been nerfed a couple times, a now no longer fit that defintion, so that is why infantry beat norse classical units so well.

They are not exactly soft-counter. They just don't do all that well, and need to do better.

Vanilla.
magic
Mortal
posted 12 May 2004 11:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20       

Quote:

Which would you rather have ??

RC, TA, Ulfies and hersir.

Spearmen, slinger, axemen, priests.

I still say eggies have the worst classical army, that's why they have to FH 99% of the time.

However, they are still overpowered

Just shows how little you know about egyptians... You are not considering training time. Eggy army trains the fatest. You are not considering cost. Eggy army is the cheapest. Your not considering special bonuses, like free towers that let give you special protection from raiding.You are not considering mercs. They cost 0 pop train in 2-3 seconds and are really strong. They also have best scouting (Set, and Isis), cheapeast MU,some of the best classical heroic and Mythic Gp's. Best seige, etc.
Basically they have the best army, and yes their classical army is one the best second only in Titans to atlantean army. Besides that they have the cheapest and probaly best heroes in the game (only Zeus probably has better heroes). If you still can not understand why they are OP the nGod help us.

[This message has been edited by magic (edited 05-12-2004 @ 11:19 PM).]

enoughlong
Mortal
posted 13 May 2004 09:30 PM EDT (US)     18 / 20       
" i distinctly remember reading that throwing axemen are the strongest counter-infantry unit of all cultures in the game"

Thats the biggest joke

Melkor_
Mortal
posted 14 May 2004 01:12 AM EDT (US)     19 / 20       
Better people play norse

And he descended upon Arda in power and majesty greater than any other of the Valar, as a mountain that wades in the sea and has its head above the clouds and is clad in ice and crowned with smoke and fire; and the light of eyes of Melkor was like a flame that withers with heat and pierces with a deadly cold. - Tolkien
Eso Names: NoFx__Melkor beryl_acumen
Sorceror_Erebus
Mortal
posted 14 May 2004 05:54 AM EDT (US)     20 / 20       
Hero Of Ragnaroks Make Norse WIN
unless it is zues player (myrimdoms)

(`..>σŕęŕŕ Σŕεbś<..)
Professor for the Tsuninversity
Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register