Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Poseidon Strat
Bottom
Topic Subject:Poseidon Strat
Tireseas
Mortal
posted 08 May 2004 01:01 AM EDT (US)         
I'm fairly new to AoM, but I've played AoE/RoR and AoK/AoC fairly extensively, so I'm not a complete newb. I'm also new to the forums so I don't know if this has been discussed previously...

Anyway, my Question is this:
If everyone expects a Poseidon player to go hipps, then why would he ever go hipps, at least right away?

Why not mass hoplites?

If you think about it its not a terrible idea, at least not in my opinion. It probably wouldn't stand up in the higher ratings, but I've been trying it out amoungst my fellow beginners and it seems to work with some effectiveness.

Look at it this way:
The enemy expects either hipps, or, if they suspect you of being a sly devil, tox's, or a mix of the two. Therefore, he will probably be producing anti cav/archers, which will probably take the image of infantry and a little cav himself. SO, why not go Hoplites? The worst case scenerio should be your infantry vs. thiers, because no sane person would really go archers vs. Poseidon. Just give them the hack armor upgrade at the armory, pierce armor if you have the extra resources, and they should stand up just fine.

To keep up a little deception, reinforce thier suspicions of a cav attack, I usually grab Hermes going classic, because his tech is Spirited Charge, a cav upgrade, so they should conclude that I would logically go cavalry. Also, that way I am able to use some of my extra wood on a few cents, as I'm not using much of it elsewhere. You could also concievably go Ares, as Pestilance is VERY nice when attacking thier forward/main base.

Anyway, after the initial shock of getting hit with ~20 Hoplites early classic, they should start pumping archers and other anti infantry, which is when i finally throw up a few cheap stables and spam the hipps, keeping in some infantry for a bit of a mix.

So my question, once again, is whether or not this might be a workable strat...

[This message has been edited by Tireseas (edited 05-08-2004 @ 01:10 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 08 May 2004 08:40 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
I know that against Poseidon i mass anti cavalry pretty exclusively. So basically mass toxotes to kill my anti-cav and still pump out some hipps because you still want to be raiding. If you really want to make hoplites have you main army be tox with a hop meatshield.
ipso
Mortal
posted 08 May 2004 09:01 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
this is one of those strats that works on the middle range of players- newbs are to unpredictable, and better players will either scout you out or adapt too quickly. it seems like you could get some success out of it, but there would always be a player every so often that will take you out with sheer stupidity
Johnny_Deppig
Mortal
posted 08 May 2004 01:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Thing is that possy hippikons are almost better vs anticav than hoplites are.. I played a game as Loki vs Poseidon today, it was completely off the edge.. he made an early hero and took tusks of the iron boar, of course I couldnt rush him with ceasefire, he just massed hippis. They beat my massed FU bragi ulfs in their sleep.. It was hilarious..
mini_ado
Mortal
posted 08 May 2004 02:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
I wouldn't reccomend tox/hip combo, as 100% cav of any civ beats that. Better to go all hips, or hip/hop.
FlipSickle
Mortal
posted 08 May 2004 05:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
I usually expect possy to get cav, but I almost always make murm since atties can't get classic cav so against possy i make turma and murm and maybe sum kata (counter-cav) thrown in. worst case is he makes infantry and archers turm waste the archers and help kill infantry sicne they do pierce (though only 5 without upgrades) but then its just murm+turm vs hoplite. the only way to lose is if you dont have enough nubmers or are under armored
SeaSerpant
Mortal
posted 09 May 2004 09:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
I've tried it its harder than it sound because your paying the exact price unlike hipps there cheaper and if your not making hipp. then your not using a positive about your god. SO i would say Either mass hops and tox. as you said. if your no your against someone like oranos, kronos, or Giaia since they get anti calv. in classical i would recommend using hades or Zues. I recommend zeus more because usually atties mass turmas and Kata's.
Regalto
Mortal
posted 10 May 2004 06:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
"I wouldn't reccomend tox/hip combo, as 100% cav of any civ beats that. Better to go all hips, or hip/hop"
Too food and gold heavy.
What would u do ith all the wood?
And to the original post-WHO GOES ALL ONE TYPE?????
if u expect a poss player to get all hips, then ur crazy
If they scout or adapt, the poss player is dead, especially since the poss has to build a new barrax, whereas the other civs can pump out of the same one???
I personally like 2/3 hips
1/3 -3 tox
3+ centaurs
all heros

BTW, calves from any civ dont beat that since FU poss hips kick
no other civ's calves can stand up to that

The only counter to this strat is eggey w/ camels.
I usually raid enough to stop midgol construction/heroic anyway

LOC_Wallace
Mortal
posted 10 May 2004 11:38 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
1- Because Hippikons are Poseidon's main focus. Not using them would be like not using dwarves as Norse or not researching techs like a madman as Isis. If you want to do that you might as well play Zeus. Most people still expect one to go Hippikons as Zeus, for the reason listed below, so they'd still pump anti-cavalry. Then again, as some other people have mentionned, good players will scout you and know already what units you are training.

2- Because Hoplites are too food consuming, especially this early. Keep in mind you have to keep a steady production of villagers AND get and army out fast. Also you must reach heroic quick, though this is not as important in Titans since you can build town centers in the classical age. Still, greeks' uber counter units, siege weapons and god powers make it very worthwhile to reach heroic as soon as possible, and massing hoplites delays it by a lot.

3- Poseidon is/should be (generally) played as a raider. Hoplites can't raid whatsoever, not even Zeus'. Poseidon's cheaper stables allow you to get a good amount of hippikons in no time and raid the hell out of your opponent.

I'm not saying your idea is worthless and that you could never win by doing this, but just that it isn't generally the best thing to do. Hoplites own from Heroic on, though, because raiding is not as big a part of the game after classical and larger battles take place. Also, food isn't as important, and you should have a decent amount of farms, after you hit Heroic so you can afford to mass them. However, most times as Poseidon I personally still use cavalry over infantry in heroic and mythic, since his cavalry is so uber with all those upgrades.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames