You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Reaching 1700 seems impossible
Bottom
Topic Subject:Reaching 1700 seems impossible
huangys
Mortal
posted 12 May 2004 09:08 PM EDT (US)         
Hey guys, I am a Isis player at 1650 or so, I just can't find a way to reach 1700, is this normal, or its just me. I read a guide to reach 1700, however it just doesn't seems to work, I also watch a lot of recorded games. ANY ADVICE OR IDEAS?
AuthorReplies:
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 12 May 2004 10:23 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
I can't stay above 1700 hundred with norse because of Isis players. I can't beat them because the higher I get in rated, the more mercs I have to deal with.

Assuming you Isis FH then camel or some other heroic unit spam with siege added after you put up migdol over your next gold mine with ancestors-eclipse, I can't imagine what more you can do.

Get 3 houses on your gold tower early.
Get your monument up before any type of god power can hit your gold mine area.
Don't be afraid to use your pharoah to attack myth units for a little bit
Protect your towers with free buildings or any buildings whenever possible
Don't be afraid to attack a norse first temple before 5 minutes if you have vils nearby

Get a good trade route started in early heroic and empower it to start getting ready for merc fighting and midgol spamming. If your opponet is fendin you off. Let your army sit back inside your midgol mass and go mythic and either use catapults siege to break his defenses or get a titan.

I don't know much more than that, as I have never played Isis. Thoth is better choice mythic age because of his tech for villies and his ability to instantly destroy an enemy titan gate with meteor just when it is starting. Get coinage as soon as possible for you caravans.

If this doesn't work, you just need more practice in this game as you most likely are just not as fast and are outplayed. Make sure you fully use hotkeys and have your BO well planned. Water maps you should be able to make a lot of docks to garrison fishing ships in for defense against arrow ships and FH for siege ships and levithan water myth units.

Good luck and what not, but I hate OP eggies and think Isis is way OP.

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
metroid888
Mortal
posted 13 May 2004 00:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Well, are you playing vanilla or the titans? On the titans I can see your problem of Whoranos and I have no idea how to beat him. (lol) But on Vanilla it should be a little easier. What I like doing is the Isis FH strategy. You should hit heroic by about 9 minutes, as you get higher up get this faster. Once I hit heroic I take all my wood villes and build 2 midgols, then get the woodies on gold, while queing up wood villes from my town. Once you get your first midgol down if you have the resources and aren't being attacked alot, research levy midgol, that helps a lot in the long run. Once you get the midgols up just start spamming OP midgol units with no restraint. You can also use ancestors+eclipse to defend your villes while they get the midgols up. Also take some of those "builders" and start claiming town centers. Then you might be able to set up a trade route, though I normally don't, so you can then spam every non eggy's favorite unit, the mercenary! ;-) Not really sure how you can lose in 1700- with isis unless of course the smurfs, or your not doing something right. Make sure to learn unit counters, and get better at microing and you shouldn't have any problems.
decowboy
Mortal
posted 13 May 2004 10:32 AM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
The point is, whenever u c anyone that is rated higher than u, u will be scared, and not play optimal.

The only thing for me that worked was, play & watch rec, play & watch rec. It's also useful to make a smurf, where u try to focus solely on raiding, or something else, and when u can do alot of things alone, combine them. Sounds strange, but works. Also, don't focus on one god, try to do a bit of random, u will in drop rate, but when u return to ur isis, u will be easily 1700.

And DON'T do every game the same FH. U won't learn anything that way...

Said from a top 1000 player,

PW_DeCowboy aka IamDecowboy

[This message has been edited by decowboy (edited 05-13-2004 @ 10:33 AM).]

listerine
Mortal
posted 13 May 2004 03:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
I felt the same way for a very very long time. I seemed to play countless games and lose. I stayed 1590ish for what seemed forever...then suddenly I began to win. Slowly but surely I have made my way to 1750. Just try to play one game everyday and you will surely improve with time. It takes practice just like anything.
Matei
Mortal
posted 13 May 2004 07:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
1700 in The Titans is like 1800 used to be in regular AoM (probably 1850 now). It's hard to get there, because mostly good players have moved on to The Titans, while all the newbies are still in AoM.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
huangys
Mortal
posted 13 May 2004 07:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Thanx, but I did try the radom od method, but when I get back to Isis, my rating dropped, I don't know why. I used random and got to 1701, but when I changed back, I just droped to 1650.
huangys
Mortal
posted 13 May 2004 07:55 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Oh, by the way, I play the vanilla AOM. I also have a hard time being Isis, because I usually like to take map control early and raid, but I also love her obelisks and midgol units.
decowboy
Mortal
posted 14 May 2004 04:21 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
I would suggest odin in that case, he has ravens, and in heroic some very nice hillfort unit, but i don't know if odin is viable in vanilla

AoE 3 beta > AoE 3 > WoW & AoM
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames