You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » whats so good about pusey whops i mean possi
Bottom
Topic Subject:whats so good about pusey whops i mean possi
BanditAnubite
Mortal
posted 22 June 2004 03:55 PM EDT (US)         
i dont thing posidon is that good tell me if he is if not tell me
AuthorReplies:
Antz
Mortal
posted 22 June 2004 04:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25       
I agree I don't understand why people think he is so good, hips are to slow to be effective raiders, to crappy armor to be good fighters and on the top they take 3 pop slots!

The best clan ever is TOAO Clan!
huangys
Mortal
posted 22 June 2004 05:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25       
well, possy really rocks in vanilla I can't remember how many times a posidon player advances very early (put all his villies on food) and then kill me with tons of hippi's

the problem with posiedon is that with his lure power, he can advance earlier, plus his hippikons are cheaper (really really dirt cheap) and posiedons hippikon can almost beat any classical army easily.

Plus they often hit very early and it is ard to counter, but the TT changed that(there is now many ways to counter it like rushes)

Pug
Mortal
posted 22 June 2004 06:18 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25       
Posiden does NOT rank high on good civs. At least not in the expansion.

R.I.P Shiva
Antz
Mortal
posted 22 June 2004 06:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25       
Norse players can advance as early as Possy playters and spam RC. It will beat hips.

SeaSerpant
Mortal
posted 22 June 2004 06:32 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25       
I like Possy but in Aot its almost impossible to do anything. other civs advance quickly and raiding isn't as effective. But in vannilla hes alot better but isn't still the best god.

Norse are my life.
lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 23 June 2004 00:02 AM EDT (US)     6 / 25       

Quote:

Norse players can advance as early as Possy playters and spam RC. It will beat hips.

Not necessarily. They sure do kill hipps pop effectively but the build times are almost equal (and 1v1 hipps do beat rc) so if the possy player can advance at the same time and be constantly making hipps then it will be hard for the norse player to stop them.

Amask
Mortal
posted 23 June 2004 10:28 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25       
hips are not dirt cheap - 36 food and 72 gold, + long build time, + crapy hack armour, + small LOS. For greek there is something called the hoplite, very effective againts all types of cavalry, and they cost 2 pop, and they build fast, and they are cheaper, and have decent hp, and move faster if you are Zeus. Just don't try to use your own hips against pos, because he WILL outproduce you.
He might be strong against Norse or eggy, but I don't know since I don't play them.
Osiris_the_Ruler
Mortal
posted 23 June 2004 12:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25       
well maybe it it just my playing style but i hate Poseidon, and the only time i sctually use cavalary is with norse RC. Otherwise what else is Poseidon good for?
FriedPegasus
Mortal
posted 23 June 2004 03:53 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25       
Yeah, if you say to yourself before the game "I'm Possy so I have to try for a quick classic and then pop out on horses" you are asking for trouble. Going all horses can win a lot of games as Possy, but often times it's better to go all hops or some combo of hops/tox or hops/hip.

With Norse mostly Hops with a pack of Hipps to flank TA's will often do the trick. All Hops can give Atlanteans headaches in Classic too as CBs take a long time to make and are expensive. A handful of CBs against a big pack of Hops are worthless.

One thing Possy does well is FH. Lure to bring in meat and Ceasefire to keep you safe make for an excellent FH. Obviously the fishing bonus helps on H2O also. Then you can just go counters such as Promos surrounding seige (maybe Promos+Tox).

Also, for all the bashing Hetairoi take, a small pack of them can cause real headaches for your opponent if used properly. Try to go after undefended buildings (preferably during a battle somewhere else) and run from any confrontation with more than a couple of units.

Obviously as Possy you also want to spam as many buildings as you can to force your opponent to deal with militia. Make building walls to protect unguarded areas of your towns and the militia will at least buy you a little time if your enemy attacks from that direction.

Also remember that Earthquake can be cast during Ceasefire, so if your opponent is putting up a gate and you've got both powers handy he is screwed unless he is Isis since Ceasefire will allow you to ride right through his defenses to get LOS.

Sephlock
Mortal
posted 23 June 2004 07:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25       
IMHO Poseidon's unique unit should be used like fenris wolves (well, vanilla fenris wolves... I hear they got speed nerfed in the xpac... ?).

Attack with your main army in one spot, then send in the Hetaroi to attack another location, leveling the buildings before the opponent can do much of anything.

Osiris_the_Ruler
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 11:14 AM EDT (US)     11 / 25       
well of course, like every god they have to have something good, the lure is pretty useful, and cease fire is ok but i still think hes not that great of a hero, as hips are weak against alot of units and they do take up a lot of pop. especially against Zeus' hops they cant do anything..
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 11:55 AM EDT (US)     12 / 25       

Quote:

Going all horses can win a lot of games as Possy, but often times it's better to go all hops or some combo of hops/tox or hops/hip.

Says it all right there. Hips aren't cost/pop/train time effective because of rather weak armor and attack. If they were boosted to be more reflective of their cost, I would enjoy all the hippikons on the fields. Oh, Posie is good because militia have 100 hitpoints(I think, or almost, that is what it is in the editor), and cost one pop. 100 hitpoints is nothing to laugh at, see, my ulfsark has only 80, and basically that is a lot of hitpoints for one pop.

Hippikons train 5 seconds faster in heroic than in classical, because someone thought that not worth their pop wasn't enough for hipps...

I imagine ES balance team, "hmm, axmen counter hack damage infantry, so they get 400% hack armor...Hmm, hippikons need to be balanced this game, so they shouldn't be worth building. hmm, lets make sure they can't be trained quickly either..."

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
Johnny_Deppig
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 12:28 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25       

Quote:

Hippikons train 5 seconds faster in heroic than in classical, because someone thought that not worth their pop wasn't enough for hipps...

They train slower in classical to avoid the hipp spam, which was rampant before this nerf. And hipps arent bad, poseidon hipps beat rc costwise and popwise with their upgrades.

Zappos
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 01:13 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25       
Possie Hips aren't that bad.....Compared to RC:

Cost/Per/Pop: Hip=36 RC=45
HP/Per/Pop : Hip=50 RC=52.5
Att/Per/Pop : Hip=3.3 RC=4

RC also have better armor.

Possie Hipps are slightly less pop-effective than RC, but signifigantly more cost effective. Don't forget stables are also dirt cheap. Researching the Myth Upgrades availible makes them better than RC all around.

Now, build time. For the sake of arguement, lets say both players have 6 rax in classical devoted to producing 90 Pop worth of Calvary.

Possie: 18 Pop every 20 seconds, 100 seconds to produce 90 Pop.

Norse: 12 Pop every 18 seconds. 144 seconds to produce 90 Pop.

Now Heroic. For whatever reason, both players still have only 6 rax devoted to Calvary. I can do more if you want, but it doesn't matter much.

Possie: 18 Pop every 15 seconds. 75 seconds to produce 90 Pop.

Norse: 12 Pop every 18 seconds. 144 seconds to produce 90 Pop.

Possie's Calvary isn't just above average. It also has a large advantage in Cost/Time effectiveness, which can be crucial.

Etendorf
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 01:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25       
What can posiedon hipps do that Zeus hops can't? (and you know zeus hops can do more than hipps)
That's the problem.
Raiders don't have to be super strong, they have to fast, or healable.

Vanilla.
Zappos
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 02:30 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25       
It doesn't seem to me that Posiedens Hipps are designed to be paticularly good Raiders. If you want raiding/scouting, you can go Hermes(and why wouldn't you?) for the Centaurs. Spirited Charge and Lord of Horses help out quite a bit though.

Possie's Calvary benefits lean towards horse flooding more than raiding. It's no suprise that Hipp rushing was the dominant Poss. strategy pre-nerf. If he had a bit more flexibility he'd probably still be good. His Hipps are great and all, but Podromos aren't that good, and not many people think much of Heitaroi.

Boosting Podromos and Heitaroi would make his being the Calvary God more interesting.

As for what Hipps have that Hops don't.......more speed and fewer hard-counters. It's probably not enough though, I agree.

[This message has been edited by Zappos (edited 06-24-2004 @ 05:48 PM).]

Antz
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 04:29 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25       
Stop this, Poseidon as a god DON'T need a boost!

Rather hips would need an armor boost. Or maybe makethem a 2 pop unit, buth then they have to be nerfed, cuz they can't be made 2 popped with that amount of HP.

Zappos
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 05:27 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25       
Oh, come now, increasing Hipp armor IS a boost to Possie, though an indirect one.
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 05:44 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25       
AAAAH! second time! should I not even bother coming up with anything if everything I say get's lost?!!!

Vanilla.
ipso
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 06:00 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25       
the raids dont have to be particularly effective, you just need to put them on the defencive. once you've dont that, start jacking tc's and switch your main unit around to counter and carry on raiding if he gets frisky. build up to heroic and seige lame. gg.

if vs loki put a few more on wood, get archery ranges and the tower upgrade first then go hop/tox. if/when you survive just carry on like normal with the raiding/seige laming.

IMO possie is far more fun than he is good. if you can take losses like a man no worries. if youre a sore loser play isis .

Zappos
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 06:13 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25       
Just for the heck of it, I should point out that Possie Calvary is some of the cheapest stuff in the game, pop-wise. Let me put it this way. Hipp cost per Pop=36. Spearman per pop=35. Thats right, Hipps are insanely cost effecient units.

90 pop of Hoplites=4050 resources. 90 Pop of Hipps=3,240 resources. Thats a difference of 840 resources, or enough to buy 7 more Hips and a villager. You can actually lose an awful lot of Hipps and still break even, cost-wise.

Not to say you should go around impaling your Hipps on infantry spears just cause they're cheap. But it's a rather subtle advantage.

Etendorf
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 07:35 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25       
Then what good is it? Eggy rax units, they are cheap, but if it takes 20 seconds to make one hippikon, how are they supposed to be effective?

That is the current use of cheap units. 20 seconds is not a flood friendly time.

Vanilla.
Zappos
Mortal
posted 24 June 2004 07:59 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25       
Ah, but Possie stables are only 85 wood each. You should be making more of them. The build time for Egyptian Rax units btw, are 9/10/14 for spear/axe/sling. And the training time does drop back down to 15 in Heroic.

I'm not really taking a position on whether Poseiden is good enough or not, just so you know. Someone has to play devils advocate.

lessthanjakeman9
Mortal
posted 25 June 2004 00:47 AM EDT (US)     24 / 25       
Im telling you guys its all about the Poseidon fast mythic.

Boom use your cheaper market trade to get to mythic uber fast. Also use lure so that you wont have to leave your base for food so soon (which means faster advances).

At the same time be building a load of cheap buildings everywhere so that if he wants to destroy your base he will need to fight militia. Do this in creative ways. You could surround towers with buildings. You could make walls with the buildings on a closed map like alfheim. You could also just generally flood your base with a lot of cheap stables. He will be in his mind forced to take those down which will give you an army to fight him with and in doing so give you time to advance (with a little help from ceasefire and free MU's).

Once youve gotten to mythic put down a plenty vault right away. Then just use your already spammed stables and absolutely spam hipps and hets. Raid them like hell. Use the hipps to raid vills and the hets to raid his buildings. He will have no escape from your relentless attacks. You should have the eco to support this because of having gotten plenty vault and aphrodites eco tech. This brings me to my next point.

Throughout all your raiding you will be getting map control back from when you lost it. This makes it important to be completely spamming stables as you advance (which is made easier since aphrodites tech makes buildings be built faster). This way he wont be able to take down your base while you are raiding without having to face a large amount of militia and he wont be able to ignore them and bypass them for more important things because the stables' LOS will find them and your highly mobile horse army will get back there to engage them. This also just gives you faster reinforcements. Combined with curse to win you a crucial battle i am convinced this is a good strat.

You could decide to not go for the plenty vault and have a not so great eco but instead be able to EQ him at like 15 minutes which could be just as good.

[This message has been edited by lessthanjakeman9 (edited 06-25-2004 @ 02:48 AM).]

Zappos
Mortal
posted 25 June 2004 01:16 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25       
Thats a thouroughly evil strat you've put together jakeman......I approve. It combines all of possiedens best aspects, militia, cheap calvary, and easy advancement, into one really annoying package.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames