Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.62 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Pick me a god
Bottom
Topic Subject:Pick me a god
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
BaMbOo_OwNz_YoU
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 05:35 AM EDT (US)         
well first off im a 18+ oranos palyer and im starting to find oranos lame, op , and easy. so i decided i should paly maybe a second god. well my micro is fine so i can handle everything very well. plz dont tell me to paly like 5 gods cos i want to build on one. and pick me a god thats not mega op.
im thinking odin,thor,set,ra or zeus.
AuthorReplies:
Odinary
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 06:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 62       
If you can get to 1800+ with Odin in TT, then you are a good player.. ;-)
r o c
Banned
posted 10 September 2004 06:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 62       
theres a lot of nuances in playing with Ra... i mean if you play with this god you will have a deep understanding of the game.
BaMbOo_OwNz_YoU
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 06:17 AM EDT (US)     3 / 62       
that wont be too hard, odin is weak but odin can do many lame things and im best with norse now but it doesnt matter cos i can play anything.
Orion_Tok
Mortal
(id: Sp3ctre)
posted 10 September 2004 06:20 AM EDT (US)     4 / 62       
I say Set. He REALLY needs some love at the moment, and I think he's the least played god. I played with a 1700 Set the other day and I probably did more damage than him. Either he was playing crap or he was lucky in gettin 1700. Apart from Dean, I don't know of many experts who use him. Apart from me, and my clanmate Orion_Schwartz I don't know any regular Set users in the 1650-1750 level. I have contacts, so I do know a lot of players.

If you want the complete opposite of Oranos, choose Set. He's HARD to play, but very good when mastered. His versatility is brilliant (you can't FH as well as Isis or Ra, so it's Classical Rax fighting half the time!) and he has access to Thoth Eles and the best siege in the game. He's micro intensive, unlike Oranos, and his lameness is kept to a minimum (Mercs aren't easily spammable due to his crappy economy, and he can't get GP Blocking monuments and Anc+Eclipse).

Proud member of the Orion Clan
Orion_Tok
Check out my Japanese Civilisation Design Here!
BaMbOo_OwNz_YoU
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 06:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 62       
i see many set players in 175+ and 18+ level and sadly they have to lame to win. i dont blame them cos oranos is op. but the strats are soo lame. imagine this. 3 monuments in 6-7 mins mark spam spears, preists, slings followed by like 4 wadjets in early battles and tower lame. i dont know how lame is that but wadjets own all MU and chews archers and cheiroes and its hard to kill all of them because i only have 3 heroes and they only have 100 hp chewed by slings.
set is a good choice. and nemmy plays set.
Orion_Tok
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 06:57 AM EDT (US)     6 / 62       
I thought Nemmy was Dean?

I'm 1660, so I don't play many 1800s. I don't know how you can call Wadjets and Rax units 'lame'. They're the weakest classical units, and the whole point of them is to outmass your enemy. So you just faced a good Set player, not a lamer

Tower spamming is lame Vs Atlanteans and Norse, but Vs Greek and Eggy it's fine.

The great thing about Set is that he's fun to play. Animals are useless, but fun to scout with and harass the enemies starting Ulf/villies! Rax units are cool, and so is Wadjet spamming. All his minor gods are FUN gods. Anubis and Ptah are cooler than Bast, Sekhmet is uber fun with Scarabs+Uber Catapults and Horus Rax units are surprisingly ownage! Thoth is a great POWER god if you want to play competitively, and you can always choose Nepthyses if you need to kill Collosi and Fire Giants.

Orion_Tok
Nimlot
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 08:21 AM EDT (US)     7 / 62       
I would say the easiest to adjust to as an Oranos player will be Thor

You are used to raiding with turma - use RC instead.

Instead of Prometheans - use valkyrie or trolls

Instead of Murmillo - Hersir and/or Ulfsark

The strategies are pretty simular I would think. Apply early pressure, containment, go heroic and finish them off.

Only difference is - if the game drags into Mythic, you still have an excellent chance of winning (even if they manage to get out a Titan) because of Ragnarok/flaming weapons. Even more OP than anc/eclip. IMHO

You don't stop playing games because you get old, you get old because you stop playing games
Orion_Tok
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 08:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 62       
How about Rag+Flaming Weapons AND a Titan. Now that's lame

Orion_Tok
TheAmaizingDave
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 09:59 AM EDT (US)     9 / 62       
What about Hades, if u've been playing oranos u probably have experience with ranged units (turma) so go archers and peltists instead. Your a better player than me and i guess you already know the civs inside out so i wont have to explain the bonuses he gets.

Best of all he's not OP, but saying that in late game he's one of the strongest gods. He has many different tactics as well, im guessing you were a more agressive player with Oranos - raiding with turma's etc. Hades can be defensive or agressive. So many different tactics to try so you wont get bored; archer rush/raids, turtling, 2 TC boom, fast mythic and titan wonder and more. Great Hero's, great myths. Great units. strong buildings.

hr Meyer
Banned
posted 10 September 2004 10:30 AM EDT (US)     10 / 62       
I play Set. He is much more fun than Isis and Ra. And his scouting rox. Im 1670.
Meanotaur
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 10:42 AM EDT (US)     11 / 62       
It all depends on your style. Thor or Hades are very good choices - they are my two mains (at the moment) and they are really versatile and can easily go from Plan A to B to C to D. And unlike what some people say, Hades is a great combo of offensive/defensive. Tough buildings makes taking them down a nuisance, and sentinel makes him protected vs. most early rushes. The archer bonus works both ways, and with his god-path and units/playstyle, its easy to go all out destruction, too.
Fenris77
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 11:12 AM EDT (US)     12 / 62       
omg, I just found out there is a 'random god' button! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

Rating: 1750

Check out my Bellerophon Guide and my Myrmidon Guide

Member of the TpC_ Clan
Pwned
Mortal
(id: You_Are_Pwned)
posted 10 September 2004 11:27 AM EDT (US)     13 / 62       
You're 1750 and didn't know there was a random god button?
Fenris77
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 11:38 AM EDT (US)     14 / 62       
[/sarcasm]

Member of the TpC_ Clan
Sam_Ham
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 01:14 PM EDT (US)     15 / 62       
omfg rofl

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.
Carwash_II
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 03:07 PM EDT (US)     16 / 62       
1800 and your asking advice for what god to pick...wow
Pwned
Mortal
(id: You_Are_Pwned)
posted 10 September 2004 03:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 62       

Quote:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

That wasn't there when I posted.

[This message has been edited by You_Are_Pwned (edited 09-10-2004 @ 03:35 PM).]

hall_of_thanes
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 07:08 PM EDT (US)     18 / 62       
I'd say go with isis. She's pretty good when it comes to defending against GP's. With the minimized costs for upgrades, doing a FM is not out of the question. Flood of the nile also help out in early games when food is short, but the 200 gold cost is high. Also prosperity may come in handy when your are short of gold. Plus with the +3 pop per town center will make a big difference when playing an equally poped out player. We can't forget the cheap obelisks. With those you can have a very good "spy network". You have the opertunity to employ Anubis's +favor improvement if you go on his path. But if you go on a nephthys+osiris path for upgraded priest and pharohs, a myth unit maniac will have much trouble against you. We can't forget of course the SoO. he might be good to use as a lure to lure the enemies away from a hot spot. Or you could go for the Roc for roc drops.
It is a tough desision trying to pick which god to go for. I've sat in front of the screen torn apart between two choices. Good luck

[This message has been edited by hall_of_thanes (edited 09-10-2004 @ 07:14 PM).]

Fenris77
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 07:24 PM EDT (US)     19 / 62       
I never edited my post. You cna look at the bottom.

Member of the TpC_ Clan
BaMbOo_OwNz_YoU
Mortal
posted 10 September 2004 07:57 PM EDT (US)     20 / 62       
well set rax units arent lame but wadjets are very lame vs an attie if they have a meatsheild. wadjets do a huge amount of damage to cheiroes and turm and are hard to hit because of poor pathing and limit of 3 weak heroes.
and hades is a little op in some aspects and can only win vs some civs by lameing towers and forts and mega long range seige.
well im just asking for a civ cos i cant decide what to paly and isis sounds good but may also be a little easy and mega op.
isis is so gay that she can win 4 tc vs 2 tc not because of exxtra 3 pop bonus but bevasue of her excellent eco and cheap upgrades and lame lame lame....
Orion_Tok
Mortal
posted 11 September 2004 06:20 PM EDT (US)     21 / 62       
Wadjets aren't OP vs Atty. I massed 4 wadjets at the 7 minute mark and got completely owned by a Gaia! That's GAIA, worst hero unit GAIA owned my 4 wadjets!!!!!

Orion_Tok
BaMbOo_OwNz_YoU
Mortal
posted 11 September 2004 07:01 PM EDT (US)     22 / 62       
they are if u get 4 wadjets , spearman, preist , sling and zoo war. u can be full pop with set very fast
hippocrack
Mortal
posted 11 September 2004 08:08 PM EDT (US)     23 / 62       
I took your post to mean that you are looking to have MORE fun, it sounds like you are more bored with the same play style, the ease of play, Atleateans in general, and even the game in genreal, not that you need peoples advice on what the most owning god will be for you. I've taken a year off before and just recently spring through most of summer for the same staleness that the game inevitably brings.

Also based on your replies and your rating you must know the other gods well. I have been in the exact same boat as you, I am very effective with Thor/and nearly as well with Oranos. I just started to get that feeling again and instead of quitting I did the following:
I have played hundreds and hundres of games as Thor and that gets old - I use the same aggressive play style most of the time. All of us have tried our hand at Greek when we first got the game and probably tried to be successful with them when we first started playing online.
I can see why you would want to stay away from Isis, almost the same boat as Oranos. I found my solution and started to have fun again with the game. My solution was to pick something that was challenging and different and I had to see a purpose(like I could own with it)... My solution was my pnith, I think I had been neglecting it and I found after playing with it(mostly pulling), it made me that much bet.... jk My solution was Ra, while I just started with him a couple of weeks ago, I have been challenged heavily and more important am having fun again. I don't have that feeling like I've done every nuance a hundred different ways a hundred different times. Ra doesn't have the OP or lamer titles assoiated with it. And Ra is very flexible and universal. Immediate cons I am still struggling with - winning the water on said maps early on and changing to a different mind set(you can't go FH everytime so you must learn to counter effectively) ---> (The balancing act of low HP units - where you need a mixture of all 3 barrack units plus heroes/myth while trying to age progress is what I am trying to master. But - you can be aggressive, you can go fast heroic, you can boom, you can go barrack units and own, you can go migdol and own, you really have the best of everything - and it has been fun, challenging for me and killed the staleness.

BaMbOo_OwNz_YoU
Mortal
posted 11 September 2004 09:34 PM EDT (US)     24 / 62       
im gonna play odin. 8 mins fh tc and jarls. frost or walking woods to defend, ownage.
Carwash_II
Mortal
posted 11 September 2004 09:36 PM EDT (US)     25 / 62       
^^yes of course...odin ownage is always that easy :/.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames