You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Atlantean vs. Norse Which to use?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Atlantean vs. Norse Which to use?
xKanex
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 03:58 PM EDT (US)         
Hi! I'd like to start off by introducing myself. I'm Kane, feel free to call me Kane. :-p I have been browsing the forums for a little while now and checking out the site. Very good info here.

I personally like Norse and Atlanteans the best. I use Norse when I play Vanilla and Atlanteans or Norse on TT, depending on my opponent.

The thing is, I'm not very good with either of them. I'm pretty good with Greeks (which isn't saying much, IMO). I just can't micro effeciently and I don't know what techs to research first. I also can't get the hang of raiding and I don't know how many vils I should have when I play Alanteans.

I would greatly appreciate any tips, hints, strageties or anything anyone can tell me on how to become a better player.

Thanks!

-Kane

AuthorReplies:
jj11188
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 10:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Attie is easier and norse you get flamed less. Just take a look and decide what one you think will be the most fun. That is the point of the game. Once you make up your mind stick with that civ till you get a good rating, switching civs really keeps you from getting good. Also once you pick a civ just play alot and if one thing has got you down post in forums like these to get some help, you'll find someone to help you no matter what civ you choose.
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 05:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Atlanteans do best with turma raiding very early.

You can devise reasonable approaches to a game based from your god's bonuses. It's also best to be playing only 1 god for norse for a while as the norse gods tend to have very specific styles and strats.

Play whatever is fun, as it is a game after all. If you want some real satisfying success, find some expert recs at AOTS for one of the gods you want to play, and follow the strat. (like if you go find a good example of the loki rush, you could use that)

I'm not quite sure how good you are, so I don't know exactly what is to basic advice and what is to complex.

Quote:

don't know what techs to research first

Always research econ techs first. If you are not rushing, get the wood and gold econ techs during advancement to classical. In TT, it's usually better to get more pop and vil production by taking another TC than getting any upgrades for your units or armory. Otherwise, weapon armory tech is almost always a first after tc's and econ upgrades. Although, it still depends on if your using generally alot of one type of unit or not.(all murms and maybe a few chiero's?, get the medium infantry upgrade)

Remember that an attack increase can effect the amount of damage you get(just like any armor upgrade), because the enemy dies quicker.
Pierce armor is probably more important than hack too, in most circumstances. But if you were against another Norse, hack armor is more important because the lack of norse pierce damage units.

An easy way to tell what techs do what and the uses of units if you are not familer with them is by having the rollover help turned on under options. Also, know that you can right-click on a units picture to see more in depth stats and uses.

For both with atties, and especially norse, use quite a few myth units. They are very effective even when their are heroes being used by the enemy. The only execption would be a massed ranged hero being used.

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
ben_smith999
Banned
posted 01 October 2004 06:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
People call you noob or newbie if your Attie, but they are the best for newbies, indeed.
WrathofAtlantis
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 09:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
For beginners Norse, for experts Atlanteans. Atlantean units and building are way expensive and takes up too much space. I mean a Citizen costs 125 food and 25 wood and the take up three people, though they are treated as 3 villagers.

[This message has been edited by WrathofAtlantis (edited 10-02-2004 @ 12:46 PM).]

xKanex
Mortal
posted 02 October 2004 12:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
I've been playing long enough to know about the rollover help and the detailed help on units, building, etc. I really haven't played many rated games. I typically play against my uncle, one of the best strategy game players I've ever seen, and my cousin and a few friends.

I do like Attie a lot. I'm a big archer fan and Attie has the best archer IMO.

Basically, I'm asking for microing tips and how many Civs I should be making. I know you should never let your TC go idle but when your Civ takes 3 pop you have to stop at some point.

I'm not really sure about the Gods and Minor Gods to chose from and the Attie MUs seem to suck. The MUs never seem to have a good hit point, special attack, armor or regular attack.

Thanks for the help!

-Kane

SilentScreams
Mortal
posted 02 October 2004 01:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Kane> it's true that the Atties have the best archers or at least ranged units. Try killing a mass of Arcus, Turma and Cheiroballista with some meatshield as Norse.

The God Choices are usually based on GP (since theyre reusable, this should weigh in heavier than with other civs) and techs. IMO Minor Gods strength goed like this:

Prometheus > Oceanus > Leto
Rheia > Theia > Hyperion (who sucks)
Helios > Hekate > Atlas

Of course depends on what units you use and how you'd like to annihilate your opponent that particular day. If you like archers, you might want to pick Leto (Automata are GREAT meat shields for archers), Rheia (archer tech) and Helios (Hekagigantes scatter units after which your archers can pick em off).

Atlantis doesn't have "Tank" Myth units which can charge into basically any formation w/o dying, like Battle Boar, Hydra, Nemean Lion or Avenger. The only Attie Myth unit that doesn't require baby-sitting is the Hekagigantes, and its very expensive.

Instead, Atties get Myth units that are CHEAP and MASSABLE and thus serve as a valuable addition to your human army. Mix Automatons, Prometheans, Argus and Hekagigantes with your melee troops and let them kill units and buildings. They still have more HP than Human units.
Mix Lampades, Stymphalian Birds and Satyrs (the only MU which truly sucks) with your archers for extra oomph.
Micromanage Behemoth to raze strategic buildings while your troops kill the units.
Micromanage Lampades and Argus to take out key units. Hekagigantes are extremely useful against both units and buildings, micro them to disperse or raze whatever seems most important at the moment.

Good luck, Atties are actually fun to play (I don't know if they're overpowered).

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
St Jimmy
Mortal
posted 02 October 2004 02:40 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       

Quote:

I do like Attie a lot. I'm a big archer fan and Attie has the best archer IMO.

i dont know about that cuz mass gastraphetes from hades is insane for building killing and get 9 dmg from the
start and 16 when fully boosted, and about twice that against buildings

"what the hell?"
Bigsid
Mortal
posted 02 October 2004 04:00 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
youve got it the wrong way around norse is for experts atlantean for beginners.
WrathofAtlantis
Mortal
posted 02 October 2004 08:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Here is something you should know:

Greek: beginners
Egyptian: intermediate
Norse: advanced
Atlanteans: expert

BTW, for "newbies" i suggest playing as the greeks and choose zeus as your major god

U977
Mortal
posted 04 October 2004 10:43 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       

Quoted from WrathofAtlantis:

Here is something you should know:

Greek: beginners
Egyptian: intermediate
Norse: advanced
Atlanteans: expert

Atlanteans for experts? Are you a clown?

Atlanteans are certainly not the noob civ like so many say, but please don't make such jokes as newcomers may believe you!

Buildings cost more expensive, hence Atties are for experts... That's your argument? Then I can find plenty arguments equally good (i.e. with no value) to say that ANY civ is for experts!

[This message has been edited by U977 (edited 10-04-2004 @ 10:44 AM).]

U977
Mortal
posted 04 October 2004 10:51 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Here you are:

Economy
-------

Atties don't need ressources drop points.

Atties = less villagers

Atties require less microing for VILLAGERS, but it doesn't make the difference, because you have ways to handle more villagers quickly and efficiently with other civs. Greeks are almost equal, I would say.

Mention about Norse: have to produce/manage Ox carts, dwarves and villagers. Makes a hard time for AutoQueue..
Mention about Eggies: have to manage empowermetn of the Pharao to gain a maximum of benefits from it.

Military
--------

Regarding military, Eggies and Norse are easier to manage than Greeks: Greeks have 3 types of barracks, while Norse and Eggies have only one. Atties have 2.

Atties have expensive buildings? No bid deal. You have to defend them, like all the other civs.
You can have the strongest towers and walls, and the palace is pretty strong too.

Really, all the civs have their advantages and inconvenients. I would not say Atties are for noobs, but certainly not for experts either.
You can even reuse God powers. One bad use is less important that one bad use of a one-time god power for another civ!

[This message has been edited by U977 (edited 10-04-2004 @ 10:54 AM).]

Medium Slinger
Mortal
posted 04 October 2004 08:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
I started with the Loki Rush my first game. I love to use it. I think its cool to send out hersirs and watch them summon random myth units to add to the destruction. I hate playing and seeing attie. I love their fighting style EXCEPT for turmas. I have no respect for them, although they are an excellent unit, I just simply hate them.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames