Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Beating Eggy
Bottom
Topic Subject:Beating Eggy
wildturkey_72
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 08:23 PM EDT (US)         
This topic has been discussed a number of times, and the answer is always "don't allow them to get a second goldmine".

My question is, what do you do when you play against eggy on a map like highland, where both players usually have a second gold mine (large) inside their base?

How can you beat eggy without raiding their goldies early?

Accept No Immitations
-Wildturkey
AuthorReplies:
jj11188
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 09:13 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
what civ?

In highland i'd say take the water and then use a wall to stop them. Then boom and with your fishing over his you can win. You'll need heroes for ancestors if they are like isis fhing.

DalTXColtsFan
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 09:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Krush
Neo_Ares
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 11:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
this has worked really well before...

seperate from your normal attack group, create like two or three archers.

do what ever you would do with your other mil units according to your strat but send your archers early on to pester his gold miners. the object is not to desroy his villies (obviously) but to play with your opponents mind. if your archers face resistance then immediatly flee them, then come back and do the same thing again and again. your probably asking well whats the point, right? well, your opponent isnt going to defend with any more than he has to, he see's that your archers stand no chance against say 5 or even 4 of his mil units, and that you have no idea what your by doing raiding with a few archers. so after youve pestered his villies a few times, do it again, but this time with a very formidable amount of archers! this will immediatly shift his priorites from whatever was being attacked before, now to his precious miners, consequently allowing your main attacking force to attack unchallenged, or giving you time make more units, or whatever you need to do. use archers because theyre cheap and have a ranged attack, and since the object isnt to kill, you dont have create a whole bunch. besides, creating a whole bunch would defeat the purpose of the strat. if he builds towers to do defend his miners then figure something else out...ive never had to deal with that

DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 01:58 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10       

Quote:

In highland i'd say take the water and then use a wall to stop them.

Easier said than done. You always need valuable villies or military units (Norse) to make expensive docks, while he gets his docks for a ridiculously cheap price and can make more docks with his boats. The latter is more effective than one might think, because he can easily make a dock at every fish patch without keeping a vill busy, and if you have defeated his naval force and even destroyed his docks, he might be fleeing from your archer ships with a few boats while at the other end of the highland river, his remaining boats are quickly putting up a new dock, preparing his naval comeback.

I found that it is extremely hard to banish an Eggy from water for good (unless you make a ridiculously large fleet and then lose the game on land).

wildturkey_72
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 05:10 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
I didn't think that the krush worked on eggy with their free towers. What unit would you train? - Turmas get owned by towers.

By the way i usually play poseidon, set and isis, and have the more difficulty against ra and isis. Set is easier to play in my opinion as they generally don't fast heroic because of the bonuses for the rax units, and there is time to take map control over set in classical (if you keep them busy).

The archer thing sounds good, but it can be risky, and if there are towers (or Midgols!) next to goldmines it doesn't work as said. Is there no way to beat eggy (isis and ra in particular) on maps with 2 gold mines inside their base?

Accept No Immitations
-Wildturkey
Pwned
Mortal
(id: You_Are_Pwned)
posted 01 October 2004 11:08 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10       

Quote:

My question is, what do you do when you play against eggy on a map like highland, where both players usually have a second gold mine (large) inside their base?

Alt+F4.

Menokal
Banned
posted 02 October 2004 04:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
lol, i am agree with the guy that's up to this message
DalTXColtsFan
Mortal
posted 02 October 2004 05:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Most Isis players advance around 5:30. A good Krush will hit around 3:30. 3 hero oracles and a prom do a decent job of harassing villies by themselves. You've got 2 minutes to spam turmae and proms before he even HAS a tower. And until he can get a barracks up ALL he has are the towers, which means you actually have about *3* minutes to spam. All this time you're totally harassing his economy while your own is uncontested. If you're a better player than the Isis player you'll win.
wildturkey_72
Mortal
posted 03 October 2004 01:14 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
3:30 crush???

What, you make 3 citizen in archaic?
Pharoah/priest will take out prom, 3 hero oracles will be taken out by villies in a second.
A 3 citizen archaic economy won't be enough to produce enough turmas to rush eggy, even so, not enough turmas will be able to come out before the towers go up.

Accept No Immitations
-Wildturkey
DalTXColtsFan
Mortal
posted 03 October 2004 11:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
3:30 may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but I've been krushed in under 4:00 a couple times, once 3:45 for sure.

Pharaoah and Priest against the Prom means less econ from the pharoah and less scouting from the priest

at 4:00-4:15, most of the villies are going to be on food, not gold, so the oracles can still raid the gold villies and then if the Isis player pulls food villies over to help, his econ is even MORE hurt.

Once you do advance you can continue producing citizens and econ undisturbed, erst the while Isis's econ is constantly being harassed. On top of that, Isis likes to produce 20 to 22 villies in classic, but will have to produce less than that *himself* to avoid taking too long to get to classical.

I still say it comes down to who's the better player, not who's using the OP civ.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames