You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » What would you have done here?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What would you have done here?
DalTXColtsFan
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 09:51 PM EDT (US)         
I was playing online against a 1625 Poseidon who got to Heroic pretty quickly, took forever to get to Mythic, and even 10 minutes after getting to Mythic didn't seem to be doing anything - I thought he was going to fast titan me for sure.

I was Isis and had a good 2/3 of the map lit up by obelisks and a 4 to 2 TC advantage. I advanced Anubis, Nepthys, Thoth.

It turns out there were 2 reasons he didn't seem to be doing much: one, there was a strip along the side of the map that I didn't have "lit up". He must have realized it wasn't "lit up" by scouting well where my obelisks were - he had a market, 2 towers, and 2 gold mines with lots of villies over there - they must have been there for 10 to 15 minutes without my realizing it.

Second, he was upgrading, upgrading, upgrading and SPAMMING towers and Fortresses. I went to attack him and there were so many arrows coming down it looked like it was raining.

So here's my question - what should I have done here? I know I had a map control advantage and I HAD to have had an econ advantage - there's no way I should have lost that game. What I did was try to spam thoth phants and chariots. That failed miserably (obviously). I tried to build some siege works but I made the mistake of building them too close to him - he sent out cavalry and smashed them to dust before I could even get one catapult built.

I really can't decide what I *should* have done - should I have walled up and built a titan? Or a wonder? Was going for ranged siege the right idea if I'd done it more safely?

Whadaya think?

AuthorReplies:
jj11188
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 10:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
In general just be more aggressive, if he is that stretched out and has resources to spam buildings your not doing enough to attack him. Also ranged seige would work just keep it protected, some camels and axeman for militia. You could have building spammed yourself and then titan + wonder but that is kinda lame. Almost anything would work, just keep on the offensive.
Fwiffo del desierto
Mortal
(id: Fwiffo)
posted 30 September 2004 11:09 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Bast > Anubis 99.9% of the time

Attack earlier. If the poseidon doesn't put any pressure on you, its pretty easy to advance to heroic, build a midgol, and spam ca - camels - seige - and use ancestor eclipse.

Get more upgrades. Get a titan earlier, and if you have an easy advantage, you can build a wonder and win easily.

Spam a lot of buildings, especially midgols. Build a market early and start the trade route.

Everyone got AIDS and shit
Neo_Ares
Mortal
posted 30 September 2004 11:26 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
yeah yer pretty much screwed after you realize whats happened. know your enemy, thats my personal number one priority. whats bizzare is if he really did assume you didnt scout that specific side of the map, and that he had based his strat entirely on that fact. he took a pretty big risk in doing that, and you just got hella unlucky
Matashiro
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 00:08 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Just make like, 5 catapults guarded by an army of elephants and just slowly break everthing down. If he attacks, just autoqueue eles and some axemen - you should be able to out-spam him

Yayce.
fenrisbrood
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 01:09 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
it was well past mythic and had no idea what the hell he was doing? SCOUT EARLY find out what he's up to he would of had a megar military force early on and if you had scouted him you would of been able to hit him hard with midgol units before he had enough of a defense force, You could of also closed arround him there is a tower limmit and if he's packed his defense tightly it won't be very wide, the only other thing you can do is use your 4 to 2 tc advantage and get a bigger army then just wonder lame :P
richard2000
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 05:05 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
u should be raiding him and attacking him,not standing there and letting him spam stuff,thats why ppl dont get above 1650 its becuase thier not aggresive enough

Make his fight on the hill in the early day
Constant chill deep inside
Shouting gun, on they run through the endless gray
On they fight, for they are right, yes, but who's to say?
For a hill, men would kill. Why? They do not know
Suffered wounds test their pride

wildturkey_72
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 05:28 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
what did you do with your meteorite gp?
you should have used it to take out all the towers and fortresses.

Accept No Immitations
-Wildturkey

[This message has been edited by wildturkey_72 (edited 10-01-2004 @ 05:29 AM).]

DalTXColtsFan
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 10:50 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I got a *few* of them with Meteor. I was having trouble, believe it or not, getting LOS to a place more in the middle of all of them due to the combination of all of those arrows raining down and him having 10 or 15 cavalry sitting there.

Side question - how should Isis counter cavalry? I hate to resort to spearmen but it seems like the only thing you can really do - cavalry counter archers, camels counter everything EXCEPT cavalry, and cavalry seem to eat elephants up when there's too many of them!

Pwned
Mortal
(id: You_Are_Pwned)
posted 01 October 2004 11:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Camels counter cavalry and archers, so you should have made them.
hr Meyer
Banned
posted 01 October 2004 11:29 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Horus spearmen eat phants, but Isis cant get them. Elephants eat everything. Crennelated towers rocks.
harr
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 11:41 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       

Quote:

camels counter everything EXCEPT cavalry

No, camels do counter cavalry and have a good bonus at that.

As for what to do, I wouldn't hang aroumd if the person doesn't appear to be doing anything in mythic, I would attack. Once you found out about what they had been doing it should be easy to take down their town center as all their army and defensive buildings are somewhere else on the map. Build on the town center, you should be able to take adantage of the extra population room and they wouldn't have the population room for anymore units. Once you've built on all the town centers then you should be able to keep them long enough to win (especially as this would damage the opponents economy and allow them to only use up 100 pop slots while you could use 208 or even more once you have researched fortified town center).
Other points are to aim to destroy all their houses and try to get fast units with high pierce armour (for fightig under the fire of towers and fortresses).

Pug
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 02:52 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
he had crencellations researched and towers in mass can take out even eles with that.
You should have been more aggressive.
You should have also had about 10 barracks ready to spam rax units and swarm and outmass his calvary.
hippocrack
Mortal
posted 01 October 2004 03:57 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
no pressure on you? against hades? lots of buildings? probably lots of archers?
Raid with Sphinxs and mostly --> Camels/spam siege towers
what Fwiffo said...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames