You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Scouting with Norse...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Scouting with Norse...
User300
Mortal
posted 06 October 2004 08:00 AM EDT (US)         
Hi

I always whenever I play norse (which is not so often) run into conflicts between scouting and building (house as well as temple). Either my Ulf is everywhere but not where I want it at the right time (which slows me down) or i place the house/temple in the most unapropriate spot.

Then in classic I usually already have an Hersir out already but he is somewhere in the nowhere picking up some relic, so also not usable for building really. (Make a 2nd even if not Loki? Not really i figure.)

Do you really plan the scouting in a way that he is always in the right spot at the right time?? Then you would have to do a lot more scouting at a time when you need your men for better things...

Also, it's said Loki players have 2 Ulfs in archaic, right? So, when do you make them and if then why just for Loki?

I know this is kind of a noobish question (or maybe not? ), but recently I build my fwbase due to bad scouting right in the LOS of the enimy (lol), so before my Ulf had the 2nd and 3rd rex up, I got a nice visit...

Thats why I though maybe I can get some good clues bestowed upon me here

cya

AuthorReplies:
Pug
Mortal
posted 06 October 2004 09:22 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
make another ulf.
hr Meyer
Banned
posted 06 October 2004 10:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
I've seen Kon_Lion make three ulfsarks in arhaic, and have wonderful scouting. You can make everything from one to five ulfs in arhaic, it just depends on your economy, and how much of the map you want to have scouted.
NoAffinity
Mortal
posted 06 October 2004 05:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
If you're going to stick with one ulf in archaic, and you have your build down to advance at ~4:30-4:45, then you will want to start building your temple at ~2:50 at the latest. With this in mind, send your ulf to the spot where you would like to build your temple no later than 2:30.

You can start your rush with the first hersir to come out, scout some with your ulf while you advance, grab relic(s) with your second hersir, and plan on building your barracks with at least your ulf once you advance. The relic-grabbing hersir can aid in building once he's gathered all he can, while your third and later hersirs add to the rush with your free MU.

WrathofAtlantis
Mortal
posted 06 October 2004 09:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
If you play as odin, when you built a temple, you'll get two hawks to scout for you. If they are killed, odin will send you two more. However, for Loki and Thor, you'll be stuck with the ulfalsk, but I won't recommend you doing that. If you have allies, then let them do the scouting for you .
ZeusThorOranosII
Mortal
posted 06 October 2004 10:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
those ravens is only good in monitoring villies near gold mines, woods, hunting and its in CLASSICAL

he wants a good scouting in archaic..in high hunting map i always make the 2nd ulf right of the bat..i can even trick my enemy, that im gonna FB in the left.. while my temple is already up in the right..

and dont forget Zeus's deadly Bolt.. :P

Fight For Revolution Clan

Im a 1700ish AoT Player...

drgnfly
Mortal
posted 07 October 2004 00:33 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
My suggestion, when you start 1st thing Ulf does is build a house. Then send him scouting in circles around your base, you can pick up how good the hunt will be. By 2:30 to 2:45 have Ulf back to build temple. What I do is as soon as the foundation is laid, I make sure my TC is training an Ulf, with rally point on temple. Usually you get the second Ulf before temple is up.

So when done you know have two Ulfs. Build 2 more houses, while training Hersir. Then continue scouting, and get the food to advance. Just before you advance, time the blue bar to like 90% give or take, have all military units return to TC to begin 2 barracks.

You may have some idle time in your TC, but I play a little more defensive than most. You don't need to absently mindly spend resources on villagers when working towards a goal. So don't get so hung up on keeping your TC busy churning out units in the Archaic. True, you should have those villies and dwarves coming out prettily consistently. But by two & half to three minutes into the game, you should have a nice villie population to take you to the classical. Don't forget you are Norse, you get one TC in the Archaic, so balance its production.

Depending on who I took to Classical, will have a great impact on scouting. If I went Odin-Freyja, then my Valkyrie and ravens finish the job. If I went Loki, usually I already used spy on a villie, and know which gold mine I'm raiding. If I went Forseti or Heimdall outside Loki, get yourself another Ulf and send him out to scout as well.

User300
Mortal
posted 07 October 2004 08:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
I should have mentioned... Vanilla .. sry.

So, Odin ravens are certainly a help but rather slow, weak (eggi towers, and you cant even redraw them soon enough and 2nd heap comes too late) and late.

I actually never saw in replays and (1700ish) Norse player make aditional Ulfs in archaic but it really sounds reasonable. Basically the experience is, 1 circle around base is not enough to find good hunting, so the starting ulf will not be at the templespot soon enough. So maby i just make the 2nd to build temple if time is right and have 1st one keep running around.

I also tried building 1 house right at start and went quite good with that.

Anyway tks for replies.

NoAffinity
Mortal
posted 07 October 2004 01:50 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
I personally prefer to scout until around 12-14 population, then lay down the house. This gives you an earlier idea of what the map is like and how resources are laid out. If your econ can support a second ulf, then go for it, but certainly take this into account as well. As Loki, your focus should be the rush and early advance. Sometimes, your econ will be strong early, and you can go for a second and even third ulf in archaic. Other times, hunting is limited and your econ just can't support the loki strat and a second ulf in archaic.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames