You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Farms... Where to place them?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Farms... Where to place them?
Lord_Aaltar
Mortal
posted 19 May 2005 11:45 AM EDT (US)         
Do you think it's better to place farms around your town centers or out in the middle of nowhere?

Until recently I would have always just plopped them around my town centers, but I played a three player free for all and was beating both players... until they began building titans. I moved all my Norse vils and army to the edge of the map by a gold mine and forest and built farms. There we witnessed the complete annhilation of our base. However, it wasn't long before the two players turned on each other and I got my town center back. I ended up winning after the two of them beat each other to exhaustion.

An assimilating strat is the best strat
AuthorReplies:
Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 19 May 2005 01:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
it depends. your town centre is definetly the place to go aslong as you remember when to leave.

point 1- locust god power. if they get this remember your TC is the first place their gonna cast this and its going to kill a lot of villies, farms and buildings. the costs could be about 1000 resaurces if you have alot of farms!
point 2- if the odds are against your base, smuggle villagers out imeadiently. if their followed dont take them to your new base whatever you do! if you have to farm away from safty make sure it applys to these rules

OUT of the way, . no TC or gold near by also not in a place the market, or subsequent caravans will travel through from your enemys base.
Not an isalnd - a small island is the obvious place to hide a resaurce factory.
Be bold - hide in unlikly spots, you may have to go round an enemys base and hide in the unsespectingest of nucks and corners, as long as your sure your enemy will never guss!
Troups - if you build a militry at your hidden base NEVER send them staight at the enemy, they will probally send a scout troup in the direction they came imeadiently if its obvious your main base was not the source.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature

[This message has been edited by newreach268 (edited 05-19-2005 @ 01:01 PM).]

TOAO_Power
Mortal
posted 19 May 2005 02:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
A good player would raid your villis... It doesn't matter how late in the game, you need protection
Pug
Mortal
posted 19 May 2005 02:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
if you are gonna build em away from your tcs then put up a tower or something to garrison inside of. I see atlantean players do this, but thats about it.
Age_of_Jizzology
Mortal
posted 20 May 2005 01:03 AM EDT (US)     4 / 19       
I once saw this player who built his farms with a granary outside of the tc, he then surrounded them by walls. I was thor and went fimbulwinter but it was less effective because he could gather resources and my wolves are AI controlled.
nick2
Mortal
posted 20 May 2005 03:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
you should probablyonly do that against norse cause some of them (idk which) have fimburwolf it may be only thor i dont remember these things like i should be cause you can cast locust inside the walls
rust888
Mortal
posted 20 May 2005 06:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
a good idea is to place farms where the villies can be easily garrisoned (near tc's, towers, etc)

if the guy is egyptian and uses locust swarm, u can protect ur villies in the buildings and wait it out.

if you placed ur farms in the middle of nowhere, the villies will die from the swarm or from ur opponents raids.

another good idea is to spread out ur farms,put them in small groups near garrison-able buildings. this way, if one is raided it's not a complete loss cuz u still got another 4-5 sets working.

-hope this helps

Age_of_Jizzology
Mortal
posted 20 May 2005 08:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19       
you see the farms were by the intial towers so it would be hard to hack through those walls without dying from tower fire.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 24 May 2005 04:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
I suggest forward farming. Make your farms right in front of his base, so that you show him you are so superior you do not even need to protect your farmers.

"Where should I place my farms" wtf!?!

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
Lord_Aaltar
Mortal
posted 24 May 2005 01:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
Forward farming... brilliant!

lol

An assimilating strat is the best strat
Reckless_Boomer
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 02:31 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
it depends. personally i prefer to simply place my farms where there are no gold and pretty much away from the fighting. then i start farming there, and build up massive defense.

of course, i will still be raiding lots, and trying to keep up pressure, so that they concentrate more on my army, rather than my econ.

obviously, there ths problem of raiding, so i often put a few counter cavs there as well.

DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 03:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
Question remains why you do not place your farms at their natural position: besides your TC? The delivery path is minimal, your farmers could hardly be better defended (which means you save resources and pop on the cav counters), and in case of a massive attack, you can always garrison the farmers in the TC to keep them safe and maximize TC firepower. If you are not Norse, they can repair the TC during battle on top of that (useful in case of an all-out-attack against your TC).

Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 28 May 2005 01:14 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
ok this might be a bit on the edge but what if, u put walls around ur farms AND have them in diffrent locations, with the biggest one at ur TC.

lol it seems pretty basic, but not done much. i wonder why? the walls would help raids and even if they got through u would have more in diffrent places.

again lol, this is so dumb, just use common sense. if they can run into ur base and raid or use locust swarm ur base sux.

one last time lol,
Spike

All men dream, just not some as much as others. Some men dream of great things in the dark of night, but when morning comes they see that these things are out of their reach and forget them. Other men dream in the day, these men are dangerous men indeed, for they dream of change and conquest and fight for it with unmatched strength. These are the Chaos Knights
cake0792
Mortal
posted 28 May 2005 01:44 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
well then i try to build a laborer.. and she's trapped inside the walls!!

¸ ¸ ¸ ¸ ¸ ¸
| | | | | |
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻ|
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻ|
mmm.... cake....
Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 28 May 2005 12:49 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
cake ur worried bout the villes bein trapped inside the walls? cuz there is a thing called a gate to help wid that. please correct me if i miss understood ur post.

Spike

All men dream, just not some as much as others. Some men dream of great things in the dark of night, but when morning comes they see that these things are out of their reach and forget them. Other men dream in the day, these men are dangerous men indeed, for they dream of change and conquest and fight for it with unmatched strength. These are the Chaos Knights
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 30 May 2005 06:17 AM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Spike, the problem with your idea is that along with the gold you pay for the walls, you waste a lot of the most valuable resource in the game: mouse clicking time. While you are busy placing granaries and walls and walking your villies over the map to the desired location, the enemy is preparing the deadly attack or otherwise working on your doom.

You cannot waste mouse time like that on a competitive skill level. Ever watched how most elite players place their farms? Around their TCs, but not at minimal distance, but rather carelessly dispersed around the TC. They know that a little more delivery time for the farmer is less important than the micro effort to place the farms properly. They know there are better things they can do with their mouse time instead.

And I still do not see the point in creating an unprotected (other than by a few walls) remote farming site where your farmers cannot farm better than at home until the enemy stumbles across them and annihilates them (even if with some luck that may never happen)?! Locust Swarm might be the only advantage of this, but even that is not worth the effort. Often enough the locusts are actually cast on your gold miners, because that can hurt you more than losing a few farmers and farms.

Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 30 May 2005 10:56 AM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
This may be true, and mouse time is important. but haveing ALL your farmers at one place is dumb right? the best i think would be to have some farmers around ur starting TC and have most of them behind at another TC. that way if ur raided ur enemy might think that thats all of em. oh and as for the ville walking time if there out hunting in the middle of nowhere then they dont have to walk anywhere.

Now that i think of it ur right placeing villes to farm anywhere but around a TC is dumb.

Spike

Mighty Noldor
Mortal
posted 30 May 2005 09:22 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
If you are facing heavy raid, you can hide some villies on far corners of the map and get resources even if your base is attacked. But as said before, on default, TC farming is better.

"Let me hear the batlle cry, Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly, Before the storm begins
Let me feel the spirits soar, Destroy the enemy
Striking at the evil core, For all the world to see"
Judas Priest - One Shot at Glory
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 31 May 2005 02:11 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19       

Quoted from Lord_Spike3:

but haveing ALL your farmers at one place is dumb right?

Really? If that one place is around your home TC, you can - in many cases - safely argue that losing that TC usually means having lost the game. If you are raided there, you can draw the villagers into the TC until the attackers are repulsed.

Quoted from Lord_Spike3:

that way if ur raided ur enemy might think that thats all of em.

I think even better than letting my opponent slay so many of my farmers that he believes he has got all of them, I rather keep them safe within a TC so that he does not get any of them. As mentioned before, for non-Norse this also means repair capacity if the enemy attacks the TC directly.

Quoted from Lord_Spike3:

the best i think would be to have some farmers around ur starting TC and have most of them behind at another TC.

Having farmers at several TCs also makes sense to me, but for a different reason: You can easily achieve shorter delivery times (there is only so much space for directly adjacent farms around a given TC), and if your opponent manages to destroy one of your TCs, you do not lose all your farming. You also avoid possible problems with a TC becoming full when you try to garrison your attacked villies.

Remember that while fooling the opponent is basically a nice thing, the effort must be in a healthy relation to the gain. And your home TC is one that you usually will not lose (unless you are losing the whole game), and that is naturally fortified with several towers. Farming at a less secure location, just in hopes your enemy will sometime raid you at home and draw false conclusions, is not a convincing approach to me.

Quoted from Lord_Spike3:

oh and as for the ville walking time if there out hunting in the middle of nowhere then they dont have to walk anywhere.

True, but since there is wood pretty much everywhere, I usually set those hunters on wood and reassign my home woodies to farms. That way you make sure you are only losing your remote vills if they are found and slaughtered, but not the valuable farms on top of that. It also means your remote vills can run if attacked, giving you the chance to rescue some of them, while leaving no valuable farms behind.

Remember that you can always redirect any number of your vills to the nearest forest if you need wood. However, if your enemy manages to destroy your farming, then you cannot quickly increase your food income that easily (unless you happen to have tons of wood lying in the bank).

Quoted from Mighty_Noldor:

If you are facing heavy raid, you can hide some villies on far corners of the map and get resources even if your base is attacked.

During a heavy raid, your villies are doing a good job increasing the firepower of your TC. Raids typically do not last so long that you should run into resource problems because of them (provided you do not lose your villies). If your enemy can raid you so constantly that you are under attack all the time, ignoring the losses he takes from your buildings and defending troops, then it is no raid, but an all-out attack on your base. In other words, you are not being raided, you are being crushed. In that case, a few remote farmers will not make a difference.

Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 31 May 2005 03:00 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19       
Ok all that defo makes sence. I stand, yet again, corrected.

Spike

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames