You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » dwarven mine - hold off?
Bottom
Topic Subject:dwarven mine - hold off?
Swyck
Mortal
posted 21 May 2005 05:30 PM EDT (US)         
Most Thor strats (and rec games) I see use it right away, and I usually do as well.

However, sometimes there's a gold mine not all that far away from where you would be putting down the dwarven mine. Is it worth holding off on the dwarven mine, and walking gold back to the TC? If there's food there as well its a no brainer since the cart will be there, but what if there's not?

I've done this on occasion, but I usually forget all about using the mine later. It could be nice to keep as insurance to bail you out in a pinch. I do recall a couple of games where I plopped it down in Heroic when my mines were in a battle zone.

AuthorReplies:
cake0792
Mortal
posted 21 May 2005 10:21 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
put it down right away. you save an ox cart for gold, and are able to make more dwarves sooner, allowing you to easily go all dwarves on gold in archaic.
Age_of_Jizzology
Mortal
posted 22 May 2005 03:44 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I save it for later like for instance if I am choked off my gold mines then I have asafe one to rely on and it gathers faster which helps you get back into the game. For rush strategies though casting the mine right awaywill save you time building an oxcart for food but I feel it really doesn't help too much since your thor and the longer the game goes for him the better.
BeatYouSilly
Mortal
posted 22 May 2005 05:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
i am a thor player so i usally use it when the game starts but there r some exceptions. Mostly i don't use it on ghost lake since each gold mine is separated and if your enemy grabs it u r srewed. the other maps i usally use it right away. i guesss it depends on the map.

Highest: 1942
Lowest: 1390
NOW BEAT THAT!
=P
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 03:56 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Accepting a longer walking path to your gold is no viable option.

You need the immediate mine on any hunting map, because this is the only way how you can obtain hunting dogs and pig sticker right away (and that is worth it!). That also goes for Ghost Lake, because on that map you have at least one boar close to your base in 95% of all games (worth the risk). Sometimes it is in the dark though, so if you do not see it right away, scout with your ulf around your base before making the first house. Sometimes you also get Aueroxens on that map. Do not listen to BeatYouSilly on that; it is wiser to go for an optimal start and make sure the enemy does not secure the mines than assuming that he will get them anyway, accepting a slower start and thereby allowing him to actually get them.

You also need the archaic Thor mine on any water map, because you want to make dwarves when your initial food is done. You can somewhat delay it there and let your initial dwarves gather some wood first, but you will still need it in archaic.

However, you can opt to save the mine for later on non-hunting land maps like Oasis or Alfheim. (Alfheim is sometimes a hunting map, especially when aueroxens exist on the map, but not always.) You can send your initial dwarves to food then and delay gold mining until you can spare the money for another cart.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
BeatYouSilly
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 07:47 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Well if u didn't hold your gold mine what if the map is against u?? like 3 gold mines r near your enemy and he is smart and builds towers there? now that one thor gold can give u time to build an army and send it and take the gold mines. i know a good start is critcally but on later games it is very critcally to have gold. It's how the game ends that is important.

Highest: 1942
Lowest: 1390
NOW BEAT THAT!
=P
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames