Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » The Gaia deffence
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Gaia deffence
Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 00:44 AM EDT (US)         
So i got bored wid my last favorite god (zues) and decided to change back to atty. i tried kronos cuz of his time shift rush. oranos cuz i thought his bonuses were really good. and then just for fun gaia. it was then that i found out just how powerful gaia really is.

So after a few games i found out that u can use gaia's forrest next to an existing forrest to block off areas, then wen u advance wid leto use spider lair on the open ares and uv got a pertty good defence around ur base (usless ur enemy has forrest fire). any ares left over can be walled off pretty easaly, or left open to lure in enemies to a waiting army.

now iv got no idea if this strat has been already thought of or not but iv found it holds off some rushers pretty good. also being only 1660 or so i dont play vs really good guyz that will find a whole in my strat in 2 min.

Hope it helps someones game,
Spike

All men dream, just not some as much as others. Some men dream of great things in the dark of night, but when morning comes they see that these things are out of their reach and forget them. Other men dream in the day, these men are dangerous men indeed, for they dream of change and conquest and fight for it with unmatched strength. These are the Chaos Knights
AuthorReplies:
Fanatic_Kaster
Banned
posted 23 May 2005 02:40 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
Using Trees as cover and Traps at choke Points is common sense.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 03:58 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
But that does not make Gaia really powerful in comparison to the other Atlantean gods.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
Fanatic_Kaster
Banned
posted 23 May 2005 07:17 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
I know :| Gaia is underpowered, Like Cheaper Caravans wtf? As if your going to last that long :/
Lush is looks pretty, but I dont find it that usefull.
Artiem
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 01:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
Mind you, I don't play Atties much... that said, I think that if you're turtling with any Attie you're not going to win against good players. Atties seem to be all about the early game rush with huge waves of turmas and murmillos. The exception is the Fast Titan (really obnoxious BTW) which is a Gaia specialty. Either way, Gaia's economic bonuses are what make her strong. They allow her to ramp up fast and pour tons of troops into an attack, while still growing with more vills and tc's. Her weakness is she has no real strong troop lines.

Summarizing... if I'm playing against a Gaia player and they're not raiding the crap out of me by 5:30 I figure they're either going fast titan or they're trying to do a straight TC boom. Either way, I feel pretty good about getting to Heroic in good shape and getting busy with some siege weapons...

(8-{)aRTieM
Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 03:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
i thought gaia suked too, untill i played wid her. on hunting or fishing maps gaia is really good. wid huntin dogz only 70 wood and 70 gold, or fishing boats only 45 wood. gaia is also the only atty god who can do a 6min fh (i cant though). wid gaia i usually do a turtle. get another tc while im advancing and surround my base wid gaia's forrest and spider lairs. then at around 10 min go heroic. 2 min after i go heroic i use gaia's economic power to fully upgrade all my troops. from there i just wear down the enemy wid never ending men. oh and i dont turma spam, cuz thats wat every one expects. u use turmas,murmilos,and atuomatons. although u guyz r probably 1800 pros and i dont know wat im talkin about. the best guyz i can beat r 1720 or so, and maybe gaia is just easyer to learn then the other two more powerful godz.

Spike

All men dream, just not some as much as others. Some men dream of great things in the dark of night, but when morning comes they see that these things are out of their reach and forget them. Other men dream in the day, these men are dangerous men indeed, for they dream of change and conquest and fight for it with unmatched strength. These are the Chaos Knights
Pug
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 05:20 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
ok, do that and at 10 min I will have taken all the other tcs and secured the gold.
nick2
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 05:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
pug i cant quote but notice he did say he is only 1660 and idk about you but you're probably 18+ so cut him some slack here and i bet those people her couldnt beat 1730+ probably did what you said.
cake0792
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 06:38 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
I didn't want to make a new thread but..

Quoted from AoM Heaven:

Economic bonuses cheaper

Her Purse Seine and Salt Amphora still cost as much as others'

¸ ¸ ¸ ¸ ¸ ¸
| | | | | |
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻ|
|ŻŻŻŻŻŻ|
mmm.... cake....
Fanatic_Kaster
Banned
posted 23 May 2005 06:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
I think Gaia does best on water maps, on account of the cheap fishing ships and Forests(All Boats cost wood)...Btw does any one know how faster Vills gather wood from Gaia's tree instead from a normal tree?
Pug
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 07:58 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24       
I wasnt being harsh, just pointing out the flaw in turtling in this game. You basically let the enemy have the whole rest of the map.
Etendorf
Mortal
posted 23 May 2005 09:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
Wasn't it concluded in some general way that atties are kind of one-dimensional for being OP: amazing classical advantages, but nothing special otherwise?

And then wasn't it that that Gaia was UP because she didn't have nearly as strong of a classical do to extreme weakness to myth units because she doesn't have promethues?

And then wasn't it decided that since anybody could build myth units, it doesn't matter what strat people would come up with, there wasn't any way to make a strat which could counter mass myth units?

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 24 May 2005 03:28 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24       

Quoted from Etendorf:

Wasn't it concluded in some general way that atties are kind of one-dimensional for being OP: amazing classical advantages, but nothing special otherwise?

You just pointed out yourself that Prometheus is op, not the whole Attie race.

Quoted from Etendorf:

And then wasn't it that that Gaia was UP because she didn't have nearly as strong of a classical do to extreme weakness to myth units because she doesn't have promethues?

Few gods are capable of actually spamming myth units as early as that. Gaia does not have Prometheus, but in return she has the economic power simply to pay for the heroes that she needs.

Quoted from Etendorf:

And then wasn't it decided that since anybody could build myth units, it doesn't matter what strat people would come up with, there wasn't any way to make a strat which could counter mass myth units?

Can anybody mass myth units? With Zeus you can, but what if you are e.g. Eggy? You can only have so many monuments (and these do not build themselves on their own). And if you are Norse, you need to fight if you want MU, and fighting against Attie in classical age is not really an easy thing.

But if your opponent is Loki or Zeus and does mass MU, then Gaia should be the best choice of all Attie, because Prometheus only grants you so many heroes before valor is recharged / used up, while Gaia keeps her economic advantages that allow her to convert units to heroes as needed. I agree that Atl heroes are not as good as those of other races, but they are still better than enemy MU, and the Atl can opt to convert the type of units that counter your non-myth units (so that he gets heroes that counter both your MU and your regular troops). Also remember that Attie can convert turma, so they are the only race that has heroes that are both fast and ranged (and not limited in number except by pop). Still I agree that MU are quite effective against Atlantean, but then again, it is good to know that there is at least one thing that works against classical Attie...

Reckless_Boomer
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 02:37 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
if i wanted to play to win, i'd play isis, and be called lame instead. i instead use gaia, because it's interesting to see what she can do if properly encouraged, and at least i won't be called lame.

besides, gaia is best in team games, where other players can defend her if nee be, and she can basically go about on her own business. also, note that she can simply go FH, spam a few TCs and strat pumping out behemoths, which are imo opinion one of the best heroic MUs(notice i said "one of" and "imo" here)

DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 03:23 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24       

Quote:

besides, gaia is best in team games, where other players can defend her if nee be, and she can basically go about on her own business.

And who defends Gaia's allies when they are doubled and Gaia is "on her own business"? Any god must be able to defend both himself and her allies in order not to suck. Not that I would see a problem for Gaia when it comes to defending. It is just your logic that is wrong in my opinion.

Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 02:41 PM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
It seems time for another one of my completly noob responses.

OK so, it would seem that most people can agree that gaia is quite powerful in the classical age. Which would meen that a player playing gaia would be less open to an early attk wen trying to FH right? Thats one of the things that i always found hard about doing a FH, leaveing your self completly open to attk for the first 6-9 min. but wid gaia's forrest and spider lair this wouldnt be such a problem.

You simply wall ur self off with the GPs and walls untill u reach the heroic and then attk wid destroyers and take out one of his TCs and use the time while he's recovering to build up ur eco a bit and upgrade ur army. then do a few raids and keep him on the deffensive untill ur ready to come out with fully upgraded men and a never ending line of troops thanx to ur good eco

im probly wrong bout everything i said but wat the heck, someones gotta be the noob here.
Spike

xentelian
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 03:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
But spike, the advantage for attie must be used in classical. After that the advantage goes to the other gods because attie player gets popped out and citizens become less efficient as a result. You must attack in classical to win OR go for fast titan.

Kastor, you can see link on my web page for downloading titans spreadsheet for gaia wood gather rates OR install tooltips (it shows for gaia forest as well)
Unit GoldWoodGaia Tree Wood

Norse Gatherer 0.901.081.23
ODIN/LOKI dwarf 1.090.801.00
Greek Villager 0.911.081.23
Egypt Laborer (d)0.820.981.13
Atlantean Citizen2.132.562.73
Citizen Hero 2.342.823.00

THOR dwarves gather gaia wood at 1.25 (not a typo) which is better than greek villie or norse gatherer

Sam_Ham
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 03:12 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
You can FH vs eggy, and perhaps hades/pssy, but against others it is suicide.

Thor/Odin will burn down your forests and raid you to death. No eco = no Fh.

Loki will rush, and that's pretty much gg unless the Gaia player severely outclasses his opponent.

Krush is self-explanitory, and Oranos will once again attack early, mass turma and raid you.

Zeus should hop/tox/mino rush a Gaia, as with the Loki rush, it's pretty much unstoppable unless he's noob.

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.
Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 28 May 2005 01:05 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
ok you make a good point. is there anywhere that i can see these "senarios" happening? to see how gaia is brutally slaughtered by other gods.

Spike

Sam_Ham
Mortal
posted 28 May 2005 05:09 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24       
Gaia gets brutally slaughtered by Loki rush, Zeus hop/mino rush and Kronos rush.

Against others she can be very good, but it is the above weaknesses which let a full gaia player down.

If you didnt realise it's her lack of the Valor GP which causes all this, you have to scrape up a huge amount of resources to make a few hero turma, and when you do the enemy micros his units on to them. Thus, Gaia is extremely weak to MU spam in the early stages.

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.
Ulrichomega
Mortal
posted 28 May 2005 12:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
Still, Gaia is one of the most underated gods in the game. Most people look at a god for how good their combat units are. I look at the whole thing, because good ecconomy=lots of heroe combat units, and a titan. And raids do not do as much to her as to anyone else because lush allows her buildings to regenerate, so the raiders have to constatly raid, and raid to have any effect at all.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 28 May 2005 12:45 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
Yes!!! someone who doesnt think gaia totally sucks!!!

Spike

DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 31 May 2005 03:07 AM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
Only that typical raids target the economy and not (or only to a much lower priority) buildings, so the regeneration does not help much.

Most important: What is the use of good defense if the god lacks the power of offense? Gaia is weak offense-wise. Like any Atl, her troops are pretty good in classical, but that is it. She is not bad, but Oranos and Kronos are better.

Quoted from Lord_Spike3:

You simply wall ur self off with the GPs and walls untill u reach the heroic and then attk wid destroyers and take out one of his TCs

You falsely assume that the enemy has done nothing in all the time. He will either be in heroic too (so that he can attack your defenses with siege as well), or have a large army. Destroyers lose to pretty much everything that lives (except villies). Especially any inf counter will do well against them. So when you send in your destroyer force, the enemy counters with his regular troops and wins.

Again: Gaia is not bad. But Oranos and Kronos are better.

Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 31 May 2005 06:27 AM EDT (US)     23 / 24       
i remember a gaia tower rush... you got a good economy and built towers all around the enemy base. (espically next to TC, gold mines forests) then when the enemy finally destroyed them the lush was everywhere! then he could not expand near his base ecomically (cant build reasorce drop sites or TC) and was forced to make bold exploits where you would be waiting. (ie left one gold mine and had an army near by with an oracle to see if they where mining)

remember no economy no raids/rushes/fast heroics or fast mythics or krushes coming your way

Also Gaia's lush stops norse players building a new TC on the ones it destroys straight away. this stops them getting the pop bonus so keeps their army the same size. then Gaia's defense can wittle them down.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature

[This message has been edited by newreach268 (edited 05-31-2005 @ 06:28 AM).]

Lord_Spike3
Mortal
posted 31 May 2005 02:52 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
wat i was talkin about was useing destroyers WHILE i was attking. sending destroyers out on their own does nothing. but it seems to be quite hard to kill those few destroyers running around while ur tring to kill the enemies army, and even if u do there will just be more. so basicly i send in my army wid 6-7 destroyers and just have them sneak in to do their work. but destroyers cant stand up to units at all.

Spike

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames