You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Idea for Thor start!!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Idea for Thor start!!!
BloodHawk123
Mortal
posted 26 May 2005 02:30 PM EDT (US)         
I haven't had a chance to test this yet but I thought it would lead to a very fast classical advancement. Start off putting your 2 starting dwarves on Thor's gold mine right next to your TC at the same time que up several Villagers, or put them on auto que, and send them to the nearest food source. THat would be either berries or hunting. Depending on the map get the required upgrade either hunting dogs or husbandry or maybe neither. Pump out 8 villies on food then switch to dwarves putting probably 2 on gold. THen rotate between wood and gold. Until you have 5 of each at least. All the while you should be scouting building ox carts as necessary. And maybe building 1 extra ulsfark for scouting. I thought this would work well do to the fact that you aren't spending the extra 200 food or so on a few villies for wood. Once you advance I would go normal rotating dwarves on gold, and villies on food and wood. Well what do you think???
AuthorReplies:
Pug
Mortal
posted 26 May 2005 03:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
thats a common thor bo.
BloodHawk123
Mortal
posted 26 May 2005 04:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
thanks

[This message has been edited by BloodHawk123 (edited 05-26-2005 @ 04:48 PM).]

BloodHawk123
Mortal
posted 26 May 2005 04:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
kcoolthnx
X2C_41nT2L82Qu1T
Banned
posted 26 May 2005 04:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
With that build order you probably would advance late not fast, I havnt tried but 8 vills on food is alot before switching to other ressources. Usualy 5 when its hunting and 6 when its berries/chickens (which is rare since thers almost always hunting near by) then after 2 on gold and wood or so put more on food again.
Pug
Mortal
posted 26 May 2005 07:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
I missed the 8 part. my bad. Yeah most people will do this.

cast mine, dwarves to mine

6-7 vills to food, get hd and pig stickerif its a hunting map. Killing a second huntable will give you the one favor.

2 vills to wood,

ox to wood

vill to wood

aq dwarves to gold till you go up.

Keep dwarves to gold till you have 10-12

add a few to wood and then start working on long term food with vills. ITs ok to use a few dwarves on food if you have to.

TOAO_Power
Mortal
posted 26 May 2005 08:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
you realize dwarves train slower right? And eco would be worse. Thats my FH build tho roughly
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 04:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
The main problem is that you start with 8 on food and then 2 on gold, and still you have no wood income. Unless you do without hunting dogs and husbandry, you will never be anywhere near the necessary wood for the temple when the time has come to erect it.

If you start with 8 gatherers on food, 5 gatherers on wood and then dwarves to gold (your initial ones being on Thor mine all he time), you still get enough food so that you can research hand axe and still have 400 food when the temple is complete. (which means it is a slow BO for a powerful economy)

However, his strategy might be viable on low hunting maps that do not justify spending money on hunting upgrades, but require more villies on food to compensate for the slower food sources. He can then make the temple using initial wood and live with the late wood gathering. That might also justify his early switching to dwarf production (as food is especially valuable on such a map).

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
BeatYouSilly
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 08:32 AM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
i agree deathandpain since his bo doesn't have wood at start. My Bo is this.

Cast mine - Dwarfs to mine
5 villies - Food(If high hunt get hunting dogs and pig sticker)
If you have enough resources for hand axe under 2 mins get it not including the villies that r building in the tc.
1 Dwarf - Gold
UlfSurk - House
1 Villi and Dwarf - Wood(Strangle if none add a Ox in it)
2 Villies - Hunt(If their are none then go herds and if their is little hunting put them to herd)
1 Dwarf - Herd
Ulfsurk - Temple
1 Villie, Ox, 1 Dwarf - Wood(if u havn't had ox yet)
If you r still buildign temple put more dwarfs on wood until it is compelete
You should have 8 food, 4 gold, 4 or 5 wood(if 6 then you should have enough for pickaxe and husbandry)
ADVANCE!
If their r relics get a hersir. If their are none then once u have advance make 1 ulfsurk from the TC.
Put your longhouse near your TC's range of fire so that any melee unit can get mostly hit but not too close.
i would make 4 dwarfs on gold and put villies on wood till i have 7 on it and hit on herds but if their are like 4 left i would keep hitting wood till have 9 and make farms.
It goes on from their RAID RAID RAID!

Highest: 1942
Lowest: 1390
NOW BEAT THAT!
=P
BloodHawk123
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 11:21 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
I have to agree with you guys. After playing several games with this starting BO it really only works on non hunting maps. IF you save that original wood for you temple by not getting hunting dogs you can put it up whenever necesary for quick advancement. This really won't work on maps with hunting though. I will try using 5-6 villies on hunting and then 4 villies on wood then the dwarves. 1 question pug, you weren't suggesting I get 10-12 dwarves before going classical were you???? It wasn't clear to me. Or did you mean post advancement you keep pumping the dwarves.
Pug
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 12:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
post advancement. If you head on over to www.aotsanctuary
You have to register for free but then go to recorded games and search for thor as god and Vagabond_Ourk as player. He rox with Thor. dl and watch his games
BloodHawk123
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 01:51 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Yes I actually have already registered and watched several of vagabond aorks games. He is amazing in 1 game he managed to win the game after he cast ragnarock and was beaten back by a Titan. He got his economy back up and running and built a titan of his own. Wow!!!
Pug
Mortal
posted 27 May 2005 06:38 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
I sometimes do a small change in that bo. I put one of the starting dwarfs on wood (straggler trees) and one on gold, then the rest the same. It allows to make the temple earlier because sometimes you have the spot picked out but your a bit of wood short so you scout more and then forget and end up not starting the temple early enough.

[This message has been edited by Pug (edited 05-28-2005 @ 12:44 PM).]

sychronizer123
Banned
posted 27 May 2005 09:26 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
Not to make you feel bad or anything, but this idea was invted about 5-6 years ago..
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 31 May 2005 03:14 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14       

Quoted from BloodHawk123:

I will try using 5-6 villies on hunting and then 4 villies on wood then the dwarves.

Never get less than 6 villies on food. 6 are the minimum, 8 the maximum. This is based on both all expert games that I have seen as well as my own experience. Water maps are the obvious exception. Go for the maximum for a late advance with powerful econ, and for the minimum for a fast (rush) advance with poor econ. Adjust the other resources accordingly.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames