You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » countering toxotes as norse
Bottom
Topic Subject:countering toxotes as norse
NoFx_Bruntino
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 06:45 PM EDT (US)         
what r the best norse units for countering toxotes? when a greek masses toxotes, nothing seems to work as a counter. raiding cavalry, and huskarl both seem very weak for countering toxotes.
AuthorReplies:
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 06:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
Don't know about you, but I find Raiders and huskarls both slaughter archers.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
NoFx_Bruntino
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 06:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
they never seem to work against large numbers of toxotes.
Mithrandir_88
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 07:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
Raiding Cav + Sons of Sleipnir = DIE ARCHERS DIE!

What if we die and it turns out God is a big chicken?? What then? ETERNAL CONSEQUENCES, THAT'S WHAT!
Click here
NoFx_Bruntino
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 07:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
yes, but what if u r loki, and do not get sons of slepnir?
jwj442
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 07:41 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Even if you don't have sons of sleipnir, raiders work decently and huskarls slaughter them.
alpha77
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 07:59 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
1 huskaral can take on like 20 archers, or at least it seems that way... but the prob is that in eary to late classical when you are at max pop and so are they and they have the effective meat shield going and with all the toxotes you cant do anything! I was rated 1780 and got beat by a 1720 poisidon... darn greeks
Lord Anatoly
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 08:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
Umm, how much of a "mass" of toxotes are we talking about here. Maybe the problem you have of countering the toxotes all lies in the numbers of the "mass".

ESO- Whitecrow
Rusky wave attacks ftw!
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 08:12 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
In which case the obvious suggestion is what the hell were you doing to let him get so many?

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
NoFx_Bruntino
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 08:19 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
in a DM, u can't help it if ur greek enemy makes a load of toxotes:P i shoulda mentioned that i play all DM, and this is where my problem occurrs. i attack at about 3 minutes and then non-stop, but a toxote mass can put me back in my place no matter what units i use.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 08:33 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
Ooooh....DM. Well that changes things a bit.

I should *imagine* huskarls would still be effective (huskarls more than raiders, because of their pierce armor) but they would be harder to mass than toxotes, and need a crapload more wood to boot. If you can get at least three forts up, you may work.

In DM you'll also want to consider Jarls - they work against archers and are a lot tougher than both Huskies and Raiders. Play Odin, then choose Freyja and Njord to get uber Jarls. (266 HP, from memory.)

TheShdwDwn
Zaknafien
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 10:17 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Rams?

Rams might actually work, because they would need to pull the shield(or a good part of it) away to keep the rams from killing their town, and that would leave the archers more open.

Using something like a battle boar to mess up their formation could also give you time to close with them and mnake it so cavalry can get in between them better.

NoFx_Bruntino
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 11:28 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
the jarl r a good idea shadow dawn, thanks. and i guess the rams would work too, but norse rams can get torn apart pretty easily.
Fhandab
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 11:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
"and i guess the rams would work too, but norse rams can get torn apart pretty easily."

Norse rams can get torn apart pretty easily......... by WHAT?
they're massing archers.. and if i remember right, 99% protection from piercing, which means the toxotes will do very little to the rams. Build like 6-10 of the suckers, and u got a nice few things sponging the damage from the archers, march them into your enemies base.. your enemy will be quite occupied with your rams, and you can run your cavalry/jarls/huskarls right up to their ankles, and run the rest of your army right in after them. ram's to dampen, counter-archers to soak them up as they chase ur rams, and then your army to flood your enemy with troops. it should works. If you use all the options given, you have a decent plan. Now just hope they weren't also massing counter-cavalry while he was attacking you with his mass archers!

Bouncer
Mortal
posted 23 December 2002 11:57 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
This is a good example on how important it is to micro manage your battles.
If you stand and fight a meat sheild then the archers will wipe you out.....BUT if you micro some cavelry around the meat sheild and attack the archers you will at least have a chance.
If the other player is not microing then chances are his arhers are just shooting front of there meat sheild.

Every action holds an opposite or equal re-action!!!

[This message has been edited by Bouncer (edited 12-24-2002 @ 00:01 AM).]

WGF_Flame
Mortal
posted 24 December 2002 03:08 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
Odin jarls can get up to 378 hp
Aranarth
Mortal
posted 24 December 2002 04:34 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Rams are a very good idea.
NoFx_Bruntino
Mortal
posted 24 December 2002 05:19 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
thanks shadow dawn and zaknafien, ur tactics should be very helpful for me in future games.
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 24 December 2002 08:24 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       

Quote:

Odin jarls can get up to 378 hp

I was close...

TheShdwDwn
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames