You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Technical Help » please login with administrator privileges and try again (going Insame)
Bottom
Topic Subject:please login with administrator privileges and try again (going Insame)
Elendornn
Mortal
posted 05 January 2003 12:38 PM EDT (US)         
I have succesfully installed Age of Mythology on a Machine running Windows XP. I installed it as administrator and am trying to run it as administrator. When I goto run I get a message box saying.

Access Denied

please login with administrator privileges and try again

I would understand this happening when under a non-administrator password, but I`m not. I am administrator, installing it and running it. This is soooooooooooooooo frustrating, I have tried alsorts.

Somebody pllllllllllllllllllleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase please help.

Thanks,

Andrew

p.s. Installed it on my other machine and it works fine, but this is for the kids .

AuthorReplies:
STA_Temujin
Mortal
posted 05 January 2003 04:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
give kids admin privileges
Elendorn
Mortal
posted 06 January 2003 11:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
It doesnt work on any user login.

I have logged in as administrator to install AND also logged in as administrator to run the game yet still I get the.

Please login with administrator privileges.

It makes no sense what so ever, as my administrator account is setup fine and I have even tried creating a new user with administrator privilege but to no avail.

Diophantos
Mortal
posted 06 January 2003 01:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
I have experienced the same problem, with AoM and another game (EA's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets). Microsoft Tech Support is clueless as well, though not for want of trying. This message board has yielded some possible solutions, but none have actually worked out. I have messed around with permissions in the registry editor as well, but to no avail. I too, am greatly annoyed at Microsoft for this. You can, as I am doing, post at the support.microsoft.com message boards in hope of a solution. If you find one, please post it here for everyone's benefit.

[This message has been edited by Diophantos (edited 01-06-2003 @ 01:16 PM).]

Elendorn
Mortal
posted 07 January 2003 03:41 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
Yeah I will let you know if I ever find a solution. It is doing my head in, I have tried everything, it doesnt make sense.
Elendorn
Mortal
posted 08 January 2003 03:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
Bump
Ferdo
Mortal
posted 08 January 2003 05:08 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
There are as load of us in the same boat. I am also cursing Microsoft over AOM and Harry Potter. If I hear anything I will definately post here...
Elendorn
Mortal
posted 09 January 2003 11:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
I notified Microsoft Support on the 5th Jan and am still awaiting a reply. Not terribly hopefull as other people I have found with the same problem, say Microsoft Support havent been able to come up with anything. I find this very strange considering so many people around seem to be suffering the same problem.

((((((((((

Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 09 January 2003 12:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
It sure is a mysterious problem. What type of WindowsXP license is it? Could it be something that came pre-installed on a brand name system or otherwise non-standard license?
Elendorn
Mortal
posted 10 January 2003 03:52 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
I've heard on a different forum that this problem seems to effect PCs where the OS has been upgraded to Windows XP. I dont know how true this is?

I cannot remember whether the OS on my PC has been upgraded or was a new installation as it was done so long ago.

What about anybody else with these problems? Upgraded OS or new install?

Kaziglu Bey
Mortal
posted 10 January 2003 04:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14       

Quote:

I've heard on a different forum that this problem seems to effect PCs where the OS has been upgraded to Windows XP. I dont know how true this is?

At least it's a possibility. All I know is that these things doesn't happen with clean installation(clean out everything before installing again), wich is something I do every time. The result with special OEM licenses and so called "rescue" CD's may differ too, possibly.

Elendorn
Mortal
posted 10 January 2003 02:55 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Yet all considered, there really should be a solution for this problem. For alot of people wiping windows and starting again really isnt an easy option.

Windows obviously works fine, except for AOM and a couple of other games. Its something very strange but surely something that Microsoft can come up with a solution for, its not just a few people that are affected.

Elendornn
Mortal
posted 12 January 2003 05:29 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
Bump
Light
Pharaolympics 2000 Competitor
posted 13 January 2003 01:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
This is 99% probability some setting in your registry, and this could be easily solved if I had access to the computer.

MS could solve this problem too if they cared (maybe).

I don't have XP, and without access to your computer then you would have to be very technically inclined to solve the problem via my help.

I suggest you load up Softice and a registry monitor. Get cracking... no pun intended.

Specicfically check registry for any type of odd settings (what is odd!! I don't know). Also check for renamed directories and make sure you are really the admin.

I'll spend 5 minutes on this problem to see what I find.

Light
Pharaolympics 2000 Competitor
posted 14 January 2003 02:06 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
Ok, I spent a over 5 minutes trying to see a little of what is going on in this case.

First, I don't have XP so it is difficult to know exactly what is happening in your case.

My recommendations are as follows:

* If you haven't already try running a recovery on XP to validate or try to validate your core drivers. Related to this unload everything from memory or drivers that may create problems. This probably wont solve the problem but if it does then great.

* The game checks the registry settings under the following when installing:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses

You need to monitor the settings when it fails and compare them against a working installation to see what is happening.

Also, you need to make sure you are really the admin. It could be that your registry is partially corrupted or that some of the drivers are not working.

I don't think I'll be able to provide too much more help as it really seems a lot of work just to make a game work.

Anyway, MS should be doing this not me. If you really think it is important, and are technically inclined then e-mail me and I may or may not help you troubleshoot this. But, it will very involved work.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames