You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.26 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Got any tips for making good maps? Share them with others!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Got any tips for making good maps? Share them with others!
tahunovas
Mortal
posted 09 March 2003 01:46 PM EDT (US)         
By posting them in here! You could teach someone something and someone teach you! So, in the end, everyone can make good maps!

Cirrend Projects:
    The Shaddowlands Capaign (AOM, 75%)
    Star Wars: A New Hope (AOM, 15%)
    Bahl (AOM, 50%)
AuthorReplies:
CheeZy
Mortal
(id: CheeZy monkey)
posted 09 March 2003 01:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26       
Zoom out so you can get a very wide view when you design your map. Especially if it's a large one.

This helps ALOT, thats why it only took me 1 week to make Asia an Europe as aposed to 1 month to finish North America and South america in my world map.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 09 March 2003 01:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26       
  • Donít clump trees. Instead make your forest gradually thin out rather than abruptly end.

• Mix the terrain. Donít make one large patch of grass. Instead paint your main texture, and then mix others in, such as darker grass, dirt, etc. Also place stray trees, flowers, bushes, and rocks.

DK
  • bo shek mafia ma
    Mortal
    posted 09 March 2003 02:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26       
    Dont get drunk and let people sha...oh this is an age of mythology site. Well this is basicly what PW said and dont make your terrian just end. What I mean is if you want a grass turning into snowy terrian dont just have grass then suddenly have snow after it. It looks bad and UNREALISTIC. Also dont rip off other peoples scenrios. Or stories.

Presenting...
    Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
    Coming soon..in Fall 04

Byz
    Mortal
    (id: Byzantine_Warrior)
    posted 09 March 2003 02:39 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26       
    Elevation is very important. Make sure that you have small hills. Even if they are unnoticiable, unconsiously, the player gets a more crisp feeling.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    "People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
    kinghades
    Mortal
    posted 09 March 2003 04:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26       
    If you create a snowing map make sure you have snow on ground and have fun creating you maps! If you think it looks nice it doesn't matter what others say as ling as you have fun. Make sure you save regurly

I am a alien from the galaxy Draco. I was here to plant life 1 billion years ago. I have returned to survey this worlds life. To my dissipointment humans have grown to be a menace. You must me eaten to ensure other species survival. You've got 1 month, Sorry. I tried to make it four.
    tahunovas
    Mortal
    posted 10 March 2003 11:49 AM EDT (US)     6 / 26       
    Experiment with Triggers, effects and conditions (I think that's what they're called) if you're going to use them. Like timers with messages to try it out, then you can move onto better stuff.

If you're making a snowing campaign, make water (The wierd icy stuff) and just put smaller ammounts of diffrent water in it to it looks like it the ice has melted

Cirrend Projects:
      The Shaddowlands Capaign (AOM, 75%)
      Star Wars: A New Hope (AOM, 15%)
      Bahl (AOM, 50%)
    LicensedDevil
    Mortal
    posted 10 March 2003 12:40 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26       
    don't join genesis studios

Licensed Devil
    I'm here to kill your self belief
    -=[SCN Punk Network]=-
    -=[WebMaster]=-
    SCN Punk Empires Editor Guide (or here)
    _Yhagoro_
    Mortal
    posted 10 March 2003 12:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26       
    about the same as PW said...but

dont make squares, not only for terrain, but also cities, no straight roads and stuff (unless your making a roman city)...

lmao devil

.: _Yhagoro_ :.
    | Woad Creations | Forums |

Don't talk to me, talk if you have a point, if you don't, use notepad. - Shiva.
    Yes sire, I'm going to have some hard, filthy, dirty, perverted, hot, romantic...monopoly-playing tonight. - AntiChrist.
    "You know, that's the problem, I don't know her. I'll just look at her from a distance, and if she's ugly, I'll just say I forgot our date." - Global Chimp.

[This message has been edited by _Yhagoro_ (edited 03-10-2003 @ 12:43 PM).]

Elpea
    Hal
    (id: lp_usa)
    posted 10 March 2003 10:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26       
    great to see u here yhagoro

well, the best thing to do is make a big mix and see what happens, usually its a good thing

Niadanac
    Mortal
    posted 10 March 2003 11:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26       
    Don't over think your triggers, sometimes the easiest way to solve a problem is to take a 5 minute break, take a fresh breath of air or have a glass of water. (Oxygen and Water fuel the brain)
    Brian maek yuo smrat... I mean Brian make you Smrat, sorry!
    jonnycartooney
    Mortal
    posted 11 March 2003 01:17 AM EDT (US)     11 / 26       
    - Try mixing some buildins together, some buildings looks really good together.

- Don't worry about what your mini map looks like when you look at it. Always look at the playing area.

- Design parts of the map at a time, don't concentrate on the whole map.

- Always try different lightings, and different sky types.

- When making cinematics, take the view back to normal after done. ( Unless done purposely )

- Always write down, or outline your story first, don't just start designing, unless a small project. It can get too boring, or hard if not outlined.

- Mix different nature objects together, to form better looking ones, exp. Camp Fire + 15x Rotten Log = Better looking Camp Fire.

--:: Jo NnYCaR tOoNeY::--
    AomJunkie - Junkie Assistant
    ~ www.aomjunkie.com ~
    The lighter side of Aom

MudokonGod
    Banned
    posted 11 March 2003 10:13 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26       
    why not join genesis studios?
    LicensedDevil
    Mortal
    posted 11 March 2003 12:28 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26       
    do i really need to explain? Yhagoro got it, i would have thought a designer of a calibre as high as yours *cough* would understand perfectly well...

Licensed Devil
    -=[SCN Punk Network]=-
    -=[WebMaster]=-
    CheeZy
    Mortal
    (id: CheeZy monkey)
    posted 11 March 2003 09:01 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26       
    I thought it was funny actually.

tip #2: Don't suck at map designing, that should be the #1 tip really :P

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
    "But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
    ----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy monkey (edited 03-11-2003 @ 09:02 PM).]

Niadanac
    Mortal
    posted 13 March 2003 00:53 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26       
    Hey cheezy,
    Please define for us,what sucking at map designing, really is, without using the letter Z or the combo of the letters N-i-a-d-a-n-a-c in the sentance.

Thanks!

GOTD_FireCobra
    Mortal
    posted 13 March 2003 01:13 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26       
    - When changing elevation, change the brush setting to circular for something natural. (Square only if you want it like that.)
    -> Also, don't forget to run the smooth tool over freshly changed elevation if you don't want it to look all sharp edged.

- Change brush setting to circular for painting land/terrain also, unless you want to make a road ect. (Since when have you seen a square forest...?)

- Take tips from pros. (Not their maps however...)

Kumar Shah
    Mortal
    posted 13 March 2003 02:37 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26       

DOnt suck at map deisgn means :

Mix terrains, grass/ sand/ grass-sand/ ice-grass, etc. Just having a single terrian at a place over a large area makes the ground look dull.

Mix elevations - all greography in the world has mixed elevations, a flat surface in the map once again looks less appealling then mixed-elevated surfaces. AoM dos the job easier for you through Roughen and Smoothen tools, so use them.

Trees - Dont just make a large clump of trees, and if possible dont make them too close and nearby either. Separate them a bit, add flowers there, grass, bushes, mix the terrain there as well.

Eye-candy : AoM offers good eye-candy oppurtunities, Use them wisely. Have rocks at river side, in roads, mix the trees, add pots/flowers/barrles near houses, use move-object tool to create spectacular new things.

Water - After using the beautify tool, which makes the water look wuite a nice, place some more rocks, trees, terrain mixing, mix them underwater too.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
    LicensedDevil
    Mortal
    posted 14 March 2003 11:37 AM EDT (US)     18 / 26       
    you missed out the bit about joining genesis studios kumar...

Licensed Devil
    -=[SCN Punk Network]=-
    -=[WebMaster]=-
    lief ericson
    Mortal
    posted 14 March 2003 12:42 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26       
    If you want natural looking elevation first roughen an area, then smooth out that same area until its no longer jagged. It works for me. And remember a lot of units have animations which can be used in the cinematics!

SEXITUP.
    Former Leader of the FPH Clan
    Acting-President of AoMH
    Alexandergreat3
    Mortal
    posted 14 March 2003 03:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26       
    My design tip:

Make and use a Design Log/Journal.

This log/journal is the designer's library of ideas with different sections including:

1) Story
    2) Map Designs/Tricks
    3) Triggers/ Trigger Tricks

I think everbody has many great ideas, but only a few of those ideas will actually survive in the designers' memory from the time they came up with those ideas until the time they sit down and implement those ideas.

Also, I think that ideas (good ones) don't come all at once. Instead, they come in trickles on, perhaps, a daily basis. Suppose that I get 1 design idea every 2 days -- in one month, I will have 15 design ideas. That is a lot! But if I don't write my ideas down, by the end of the month, I would probably remember no more than half of those ideas, especially considering that my other focus is on school studies/work, and I'm sure this applies to mostly everyone. =)

So, my tip is: don't try to remember all your design ideas in your head. Write them down, and keep them *organized*.

Parrothead jjohn
    Mortal
    (id: jjohn)
    posted 14 March 2003 07:21 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26       
    give a bit of plot

Parrothead Sines- Loveable Asshole
      Music ||Food || Womens
      jjohn is better than Elpea,and the Fonz put together - BK 101
      You're lucky I love you - Elpea
    Questionare
    Mortal
    posted 14 March 2003 08:42 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26       
    I got a good one that everyone seems to forget. It is don't forget the birds!! Some birds flying around in your map gives it allot more cheracter and makes it look allot more realistic. I always put some birds flying around in my maps. I like to put a little bit of vultures and allot more hawks.
    Parrothead jjohn
    Mortal
    (id: jjohn)
    posted 14 March 2003 11:34 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26       
    really thx

BTW-I am making a new scenario made to be a land grab these tips really help so thanks guys an' keep em comin

Parrothead Sines- Loveable Asshole
      Music ||Food || Womens
      jjohn is better than Elpea,and the Fonz put together - BK 101
      You're lucky I love you - Elpea
    GOTD_FireCobra
    Mortal
    posted 15 March 2003 00:36 AM EDT (US)     24 / 26       
    Definitly keep track of trigger tricks and other design specialties that you know. It helps a lot later when you are making a scenario that needs stuff like that.
    dutchpower
    Mortal
    posted 15 March 2003 02:17 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26       
    Try creating some side quests, i.e. some units locked up somewhere on the map by your enemy, who will join you if you kill the guards.

-----------Dutchpower Out------------

GoForGoldenJarls
    Mortal
    posted 16 March 2003 01:20 AM EDT (US)     26 / 26       
    edit:

@GFGJ : Discouraging people from making any type of scenario is not a map-design team.

Please refrain from doing so in the future

this post has good tips, keep it that way

Kumar Shah

[This message has been edited by Kumar Shah (edited 03-16-2003 @ 01:33 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames