You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Terrain Meshing Suggestions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Terrain Meshing Suggestions
LicensedDevil
Mortal
posted 15 March 2003 03:39 PM EDT (US)         
I don't often ask for suggestions from the community, mainly because although i often get a few good, constructive suggestions, i always get tonnes of half-arse stupid ideas. Therefore I say this: before you make a suggestion, think to yourself, 'Is it really a good idea?' then post.

This comment is mainly for the benefit of any members of genesis studios:

IF you suggest I use a hades gate, I WILL castrate you, don't now think 'Ooo Ooo I know what would be really funny, I'll suggest he uses a Hades Gate, that will have him laughing his arse off!' because it won't.

Anyway, stepping away from the rant, for my current project ( http://ids.scnnetwork.com/projects/4wof.php ) I'm trying to create a mesh between a hades (erebus) based terrain and a egyptian, desert terrain, and also (on the other side) a greek grass terrain. Obviously there is no specific terrain to do this, like there is between desert and grass, snow etc., but i'm interested in any ideas you have to do it effectively, and make it look reasonable...

Thanks

Licensed Devil
I'm here to kill your self belief
-=[SCN Punk Network]=-
-=[WebMaster]=-
SCN Punk Empires Editor Guide (or here)
AuthorReplies:
Byz
Mortal
(id: Byzantine_Warrior)
posted 15 March 2003 03:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       

Quote:

Therefore I say this: before you make a suggestion, think to yourself, 'Is it really a good idea?' then post.

Therefore I say this: before you make a post asking for help, think to yourself, "Will me complaining to people like a grumpy old man about how I get newbie answers really going to make them want to help me out?"

Anyway, here's my idea.

You could make a large mountain between the Hades terrain and the desert, and, as with all high mountains, make it snow covered at the top. Then, as thep layer goes up, the Hades terrain is slowly blended in with the snow. As the player desends the mountain, the snow meshes into a desert terrain. Just a "constructive" thought.

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
LicensedDevil
Mortal
posted 15 March 2003 03:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
but that still requires me to blend the hades with snow...

Licensed Devil
I'm here to kill your self belief
-=[SCN Punk Network]=-
-=[WebMaster]=-
SCN Punk Empires Editor Guide (or here)
Byz
Mortal
(id: Byzantine_Warrior)
posted 15 March 2003 07:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
Well, the way I see it, either way, you'll have to blend something.

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
mistacheese
Mortal
posted 15 March 2003 08:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
You can make a interesting wall ofland by rasing a 1x1 area with the circle tool to make a point, then copy the elevation and border the underworld-style land. For the way in, have a Charon Ferry bring you in through a river that eventually darkens to the color of Styx. The gravel-colored terrain might be useful for gradually fading in.

Or, you could have the underworld entrance be a entrance of some sort that brings you to the area with Hades terrain, but that is probably not what your looking for.

A very high mountain that you can't see the top of could have a cliff face of the style that it touches and the opposite side with Hades cliff.

I think the editor should have a mesh feature like the "Beautify Water" tool. I don't think that would have been too dificult if they had it from the start.

Hope I helped!

Exiled
Battle Dwarves
Battlefields: Kemsyt's Uprise

Mistacheese wins the "Person-who-secretly-emmits-CheeZy's-thoughts" award - Cheezy
CheeZy
Mortal
(id: CheeZy monkey)
posted 15 March 2003 09:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
AOM terrain can't mix as good as AOK terrain does. You'll have to be creative, and probably use some underwater rock terrain to mix from Hades to something else. It'd also be good to put tons of rocks or misc objects and trees along the general area where you'll be mixing the terrain.

I've had problems like these when making my World Map, mainly being with the underwater terrain not mixing well. Thats why I had to make the entire underwater be the blackness terrain, so as to layer better with the other terrains.

Just be creative, take a screen or two and ask people if it looks alright.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames