You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Simple question(s) sorry if they have being answered
Bottom
Topic Subject:Simple question(s) sorry if they have being answered
bo shek mafia ma
Mortal
posted 30 April 2003 03:36 PM EDT (US)         
Well, I'm making a campaing and I want to know what are the types of gameplay and what do they involve? What I mean is, what would an RPG scen have to have in it to BE a RPG?

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

AuthorReplies:
RiderOfEternity
Mortal
posted 30 April 2003 04:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Upgrades...
Eye candy...
A cool storyline, but with short cinematics...

Hope it helps
In fact I'll make you a section in the forums http://www.df.scnnetwork.com/forums/index.php?s=862bebaa22d7459d70b9aa2b88cf8738&act=SF&f=8

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 04-30-2003 @ 04:59 PM).]

LicensedDevil
Mortal
posted 30 April 2003 05:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
never miss a chance to link to another site..., rider obviosly doesn't know the answer to your question, so he does the next best thing and creates a forum. An rpg = role playing game, players take on a the role of a character and play it, like the name suggests, tends to be multiplayer, and as a result consists of one scen only. You then have B+D, which is Build + Destroy, kinda like a standard rm but you build the map. A campaign is basically a single player rpg really, except you have more scens and the storyline tends to be a bit more complicated. Hope this helps more than rider creating you an empty forum does.

Licensed Devil
I'm here to kill your self belief
-=[SCN Punk Network]=-
-=[WebMaster]=-
SCN Punk Empires Editor Guide (or here)

[This message has been edited by LicensedDevil (edited 04-30-2003 @ 05:13 PM).]

DarkKnight_
Mortal
(id: PW_DarkKnight)
posted 30 April 2003 06:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
Here's a snippet of an editor tutorial I amde:

Quote:

RPGs are games where the player(s) control 1 person and basically set out on quests to reach a certain objective. An example is the game “Neverwinter Nights”.

Anyways, RPGs are a lot of fun to make, and especially fun to play. However many times big mistakes are made in RPGs. Many times you can download 10 RPGs by 10 different people, and only find minor differences between them. Many times the storylines are too simplistic, or the map is a simple path to follow while killing stuff along your way. The most common mistakes in RPGs are:

ØLittle or no storyline
ØVery simple, boring map
ØAn overpowered character or team
ØA very common idea or storyline

Remember these things when making your RPG:

üMake a nice, deep storyline. Simply saying “Advance to the end and kill the boss” isn’t much of an RPG. Give multiple quests and storylines. Twists and turns in the plot are also good.

üMake your map unique. Making a simple path to follow isn’t good, even if it has eye candy. Try to give the player freedom of movement; try to make the map open, not a path.

üDon’t make it too easy. Many people do this so people will avoid frustration. Know I’d rather play a challenging scenario a few times rather than beat it in 10 minutes on my 1st time.

üMany RPGs are the same, such as advance and kill the boss. Make it unique.

Single Player

When making a single player RPG, remember, only 1 person will be playing. To keep this one player entertained, you need to have to have an entertaining storyline, along with some action. A very deep storyline isn’t much if the player is just walking from place to place. Remember to include some enemies to fight.

Multiplayer

MP RPGs are different than single player. The 1st thing to take into consideration is lag. Try to make a nice map, without overloading the eye candy. Next you need to figure out what unit each player will be. It’s a good thing to balance it out, yet make each unique. Would it be fair if one person was a Fire Giant, and everyone else was a Centaur? A good balance is to give each a strongpoint. Like make one have a long range, one a good defense, one good speed, one good attack, one a healing ability, one balanced, etc. Also, the storyline doesn’t need to be as deep as a SP one, and it should be a bit simple and not too long. Take into consideration that multiple players will be playing, and it isn’t likely that they all have a long time to play.

DK
zlng
Mortal
(id: KH_zlng)
posted 30 April 2003 07:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
If you have played SWGB just do it like those RPGs

or listen to the person posted above me

While in Rome, live in Rome
RiderOfEternity
Mortal
posted 01 May 2003 02:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
Well at least i helped a bit ....
WEll anyway I have a forum for the Dark Fantasy so why shouldn't i make a forum for COM (which Ragnarok Studios is hosting). And incase you didnt know; the previous name of Ragnarok Studios was Riders Of Eternity Design Studios and it was already hosting it before TDF mod had started :P
Well anyway good tutorial PW_DarkKnight

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
bo shek mafia ma
Mortal
posted 01 May 2003 03:21 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Thanks guys you have all being a great help (well when I say all I dont mean Rider...but thanks for making a fourum for CoM. I might post there soon...).

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames