You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Timer/Unit Create Multiple causing other triggers to be inactive?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Timer/Unit Create Multiple causing other triggers to be inactive?
Duskofdead
Mortal
posted 28 August 2004 08:48 PM EDT (US)         
Someone help me out here..
I'm trying to make a "survive for x amount of time" trigger. Every 60 seconds, I want a trigger (set to loop) to create multiple enemy units. When I playtest with such a trigger, though, not only does it not happen, but none of the other triggers work (including play music). When I remove it, all other triggers work fine again. Is it something about having it set to loop that makes it interfere with the other triggers? Help appreciated.

AuthorReplies:
PseudoWalrus
Mortal
posted 28 August 2004 09:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
Just use Army Deploy with a ghost army. Ta-da. Problem solved. Unit Create and Unit Create Multi should not be used, in my opinion. They just create problems.
Duskofdead
Mortal
posted 28 August 2004 11:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Thanks, it worked!
Duskofdead
Mortal
posted 29 August 2004 01:23 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Editor is so testy...
Why would deploying a ghost army work in playtesting and in single player, and then not work when playing the scenario in multiplayer? Any ideas? The trigger simply doesn't happen, the units don't appear, but it works fine in SP and Playtest.
pftq
Mortal
posted 29 August 2004 02:22 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Army Deploy should work in multiplayer - it's the alternative to Unit Create, which doesn't work.

There's been some comments about it not working for other people as well, but I'm not sure why.

PseudoWalrus
Mortal
posted 29 August 2004 05:34 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
Deploying ghost armies does work in multiplayer. The only thing that would make it not work is trying to deploy an army of Player 0 units. To do that, you must deploy the army as player 1, and then use the effect Army Convert to change it to player 0.

Also in multiplayer, the triggers Unit Selected, Visible to Player, the Teleport triggers, and the Unit Create triggers cause trigger problems. Also, some cinematic-related triggers cause errors, but I'm not exactly sure which ones.

Duskofdead
Mortal
posted 29 August 2004 08:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
I'm really baffled why it's not working.

It's a 3 player scenario. Players 1 + 2 allied against 3. The Ghost Army is aligned to player 3 and appears at 20 second timer, 30 Prometheans. It still works in playtest & in single player. Does not work in multiplayer. The condition is timer, so it's not one of the "troublesome" ones you mentioned. I know I've played scenarios that did this sort of thing online, so I don't know what the trouble is. After saving changes to a scenario, do I have to close and reopen AoM for them to work in MP or something? I'm really grasping here cause I don't know what else the problem could be.

Or, do create unit/deploy army triggers simply screw up for some people, period?

pftq
Mortal
posted 29 August 2004 08:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
For me, Units in LOS caused OoS too. Not sure why. I used in Units in Area instead.
Duskofdead
Mortal
posted 29 August 2004 09:10 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I learned the "Ghost Army Deploy" trigger because I was told the Unit Create trigger tends to make problems... now I went back and re-did the whole thing with unit create instead of Army Deploy, and this time it works in online.... argh. I would hate programming as a career... things not working for no apparent reason... lol
PseudoWalrus
Mortal
posted 29 August 2004 09:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Unit create... works online? I've never been able to get unit create or unit create multi to work online, only army deploy, which has always worked fine for me.
pftq
Mortal
posted 29 August 2004 09:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Weird, everything seems to be the opposite for you DuskofDead. lol O_o
Duskofdead
Mortal
posted 30 August 2004 00:44 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Unit Create Multi did not work online. Army Deploy did not work online. But, I did SINGLE unit create, then just copied the effect for as many units as I wanted. So now I've got 5 war elephants appearing where I want on a 2 min loop, and x Prometheans appearing elsewhere on a 2 min loop, which is cool.

Thanks for the help... although I have a feeling the next time I try to make a scenario with unit create/army deploy, I'll have probs again... seems so random that it worked on a 3rd switch (unit create -> army deploy -> unit create).

oddy
Mortal
posted 30 August 2004 12:35 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       

Quoted from Duskofdead:

argh. I would hate programming as a career...

Are you mad? That's the best job you can get!

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
Duskofdead
Mortal
posted 30 August 2004 12:55 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
For carpal tunnel and monitor vision loss? just kidding
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames