You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » My scenario has been stolen . Waagghh.
Bottom
Topic Subject:My scenario has been stolen . Waagghh.
Jacobs_Ladder
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 07:22 AM EDT (US)         
Well, I updated a scenario i made for AoM to AoT recently. But before i even got the chance to release the final , somebody has taken the beta (i tested on ESO) changed some minor things and renamed it. Well the reason i am concerned is that not only is this version a lesser version of my own ( certain bugs remain in this older ver )
but they renamed it after another popular scenario so more ppl play the stolen version with my name still remaining in the credits.

What should i do?

AuthorReplies:
Austin Powers
Mortal
(id: Emperor_Julian)
posted 03 September 2004 07:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
tells the mods-one question, was it jaspian or weesnaw66 who stole it?

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
LJC
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 07:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
Thats why i wouldnt test over eso with ppl u dont know.

test with just friends next time.

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
|Member of|Ambition Designs| & |TOAO Clan|
|Download|The Greek Dream|
|Check|F.A.Q|
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 03 September 2004 07:43 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
Frankly, if your scn is stolen, you can't do anything against it, I guess.
Jacobs_Ladder
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 10:40 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
Well now it's been totally assimilated.

The name of the stolen scenario is Giant Mythodea. (That's what they named it)

I am still trying to pinpoint the culprit , so far ApOc_ clan member looks to be responsible , as he had a extrmely new version of the ripp.

IT's quite disgusting how somebody can do this , if they asked permission it would be a different matter. Not only that but they used the name of Xamos (?) scenario.

I'm hoping they'll be stupid enough to give themselves credit so i can catch em.

Auron_
Mortal
(id: auron 2)
posted 03 September 2004 10:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
this always happens to people. you cant avoid it. you cant copyright your scenarios, and you are not the only one:

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,20093,,all

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
Mr Muppet
Mortal
(id: Scrunch Muppet)
posted 03 September 2004 12:05 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
Live with it.
Archaeopterix
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 12:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
Testing your beta on ESO with total strangers is just not a very good idea.
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 03 September 2004 12:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
I would like to respond to something I saw in the other thread:

Quoted from tbarak:

I am no legal expert but as far as I know you can copyright your AOM projects. While the AOM license agreement does not allow you to sell the work, in North America, all original work, as long as it's documented in some tangible, non-abstract form (such as writing it down, making a scenario, recording it) automatically makes it copyright material. Copyright means just that, the right to copy it.

Actually, no scenario is copyrighted to you. Everything made by the AoK, AoM editor is propery of Ensemble Studios.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
EaZy
Mortal
(id: EazY_Ben)
posted 03 September 2004 01:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
This isn't the first time something liek this has happened.....just don't test on ESO from now on...
Jacobs_Ladder
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 01:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
So ur telling me that even after i released the final version it isn't thiefable.
I thought that u guys could send tha lads over and knee-cap the offender
On a side note it is quite endearing that somebody loved my scenario enough to steal it.
That does not make it excusable. I also think the ripp isn't as good as the original 8-)
ah well , win some lose some :/
Intrepid
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 02:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
Its shame that AoM doesn't have some of the features that other editors have. Generally when someone steals your scenario they remove your name from the credits and replace it with their own. All you need to do with most modern editors is hide a check text condition condition that will fire an end game effect if your name fails to appear.
Villi
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 02:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
Hide the credit message in a mess of effects wich does nothing, ESO n00bs wont have a clue

I think FOG.
EaZy
Mortal
(id: EazY_Ben)
posted 03 September 2004 02:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
Oh yeah, that remind me....I got an e-mail from the 'maker of Mythodia' today....hes not on AOMH and clearly only plays online....he started trying to give me advice:

Quote:

Most of the people on ESO are as dumb as hell and under 14

Then he 'telling' me why my scenarios weren't popular on ESO.

Quote:

They're too complictaed

What a dumbass, they're all single player.

Lexus_Reloaded
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 03:19 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
Strange people wander on ESO...

Lexus
Current Designs:
The Silmarillion 5% || Elenamon 75%
The age of Men is over. The time of Orcs has come. Gothmog
theNodgene1
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 03:38 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
Im inclinded to agree with the creator of mythodia.
Peeps on ESO are generally young and know 'PIXY DUST' all.

The only way to create something that is fully aplicable with copyright is to write stories or make a game. With this copyright milarke.

And if the state(s) had indoctrinated populations there wouldnt be lieing and dishonest scum bags out there!

Archaeopterix
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 06:23 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
In the final version:
- Remove all the trigger groups.
- Rename all triggers in a very unlogical way.
- Just put a MESSAGE effect in some random triggers, saying "A Scenario by [yournamehere]".
- Make a hidden trigger (like iNtRePiD suggested) with a chat contains (your name) condition, "NOT" checked, with the effects End Game and Send Spoofed Chat "You N00000bs forgot about this trigger! A scenario by [yournamehere]!".
- Create a little location on the map where you write your name with Rotten Logs, Fallen Columns, Bushes or Rocks.

And uh... If the Eso N00bs still manage to edit your scen properly then they are actually very good designers, and it should be an honour to you, the original creator, that they found your scenario worth editing.

And just always playtest with friends or fellow AOMH forumers, not with ESO strangers.

tbarak
Mortal
posted 03 September 2004 07:55 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
Like the chaps said Jacob's Ladder, you're SOL. Best to contact the site's mods to have them remove the counterfeit. The good news is it's a fairly tight community, and people who steal stuff are soon identified and their reputation noted by community members. Sometimes peer pressure can be a very powerful thing.

Before you read this I am not advocating contravening the ES license agreement and these are only opinions from a person who has limited knowledge of intellectual property rights. I write simply for scholarly debate and so hopefully I can learn something about this interesting subject.

Quote:

Actually, no scenario is copyrighted to you. Everything made by the AoK, AoM editor is propery of Ensemble Studios.

You are likely basing this on simply reading the license agreement, and while correct conceptually, it doesn't really address the finer legal issues. Game companies put all kinds of things in their legals- did you know that if you were follow the letter of the license agreements you're not suppose to lend or even sell your game used? So if I decide to sell my copy of AOM at a garage sale (heaven forbid) I would actually be in violation of the license agreement and open to prosecution. Have you ever seen anyone caught selling used games, never mind seeing a case where someone is actually prosecuted for doing so? The issue is one of enforcement and the legals (License Agreements) are a guideline, and until some cases are pressed I personally feel some of what they say in the legals would be impossible to enforce and indeed against people's personal freedoms.

If what you are saying is correct, then Ensemble Studios could take for example my Trip to Colosseum, included it in another TT xpack, sell millions of copies and keep all the money. It's an extreme example, however, you can bet if this actually happened I would have a good case for suing for royalties. While Ensemble owns the game (and the sole engine that can play Colosseum), I own the ideas behind that scenario. It's like a company that makes hammers suing a carpenter because he sold a house he built using a hammer he bought from the hammer company. The hammer company sold the carpenter a tool, but the carpenter's skill, talent and hard work actually used that tool to construct something valuable that people want to buy. Another example would be say I created a whole new game using the TT editor with lots of mods, custom triggers, and some changes to the code. I then take the game to a gaming company and show it to them and they love it, and decide to develop a new game based on the one I made with TT editor. They make the game and it sells millions of copies. Would Ensemble have any ownership of the idea I sold to the gaming company. Probably not.

I'm no lawyer, and don't go trying to sell your scenarios cause I said it was okay. But, my point is, even laws that are made by governments get stuck down in courts of appeals all the time, and the license agreements game companies include in their products are just as susceptible to testing in the courts to see how some of them would actually stand up. As an artist myself I understand the importance of protecting intellectual property, and I would never burn illegal copies of games or even try to sell anything I made in the TT editor. But if ES or anyone else tries to stake claim to the ideas I come up with, and profit by them, I will fight like hell to get my fair share.

Jacobs_Ladder
Mortal
posted 04 September 2004 10:17 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
Hey something funny i just saw on ESO.
Ya know i said i updated my scenario from AoM to AoT. Well i just joined a game and found it to be the original scenario , except this one had been ripped up into a crude 4 player version.
HAhah this is so funny . Strangley enough the guy who ripped up this one took away the music leaving it in silence :/ , he called all his changes debugging , damn what a mess.
And
Why oh why do they keep calling my scen's mythodea!! waggh
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 04 September 2004 02:39 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
I'm not here to argue about anything Tom, I agree with what you're saying. I was just stating something that I found interesting.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
tbarak
Mortal
posted 04 September 2004 07:35 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
K, k Shiva. It's a neat topic that I agrue over with my sister and another friend of mine all the time- both are evil lawyers. Anyone wanna buy a good use scenario or game?? LOL.
Guardian_113
Banned
posted 05 September 2004 06:48 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
Its the AoM community I guess- not as close and good to each other has the AoK:TC one is. For example, I've seen thousands of Germs Blood scenarios but in all of them the new creator gives credit to the original one (while mentioning that he added all the new stuff). Maybe its a general understanding between everyone in the community? I don't know. Anyways, this is probably why I never design multiplayer scenarios.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames