You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies, Off-Topic
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Comments from trying out AoEIII Demo version
Bottom
Topic Subject:Comments from trying out AoEIII Demo version
Anastasoulis
Mortal
posted 31 October 2005 03:51 AM EDT (US)         
Hey guys, I've been busy with real life and hadn't had enough spare time to continue designing my Virus scenario this week, but over the weekend I managed to scrape off a couple of hours to try out the AoEIII demo, so here are my comments:

What's the big fuss about it?
It's a standard AoE type of game, where you get villagers to gather food and wood, mine resources (silver) etc.
The map is kind'a oblong (i.e. elongated circle), where about 1/3 is water from whence your colonists supposedly came from and you have a ship parked (caravel) which can fish and bombard. On the map, there's forests, silver mines, huntable animals, Indian habitations (you can build outposts so that you can befriend the Indians), etc.
There are many units (Cossacks type) Muskateers, archers, dragoons, ships, priests (healing), etc.
The buildings are simmilar to AoM, TCs, upgradable Towers, Castles, farms (plantations) etc.
Then, like AoM, you can advance to a new age (when you have the resources) where you pick one of two kinds of leaders (military focused, or economy) and you receive either some economic resources, or units, and you gain access to more units and buildings.
Also, you have various Techs according to level-age you're at, which help out gathering rates and mil units fighting abilities.

The different things are basically three:
1) the treasure sites, where you can acquire the treasures~obviously (money=gold) and which are guarded by some type of hostiles (crocodiles, bears, some gaia units)

2) you have a Metropolis off map, a European city which provides some resources and units that get shipped to your colony, according to the age you are and the type of nation and leader/age you selected to advance into.
and
3) experience is gathered from having set up a trade route along a line of outposts, and also from fighting and stuff.
This is like some kind of AoM favour.

There's also some other minor new stuff, that don't make such a great difference in order to be mentioned, like some carts that are shipped from the Metropolis and used to create Castles, forts, Town Centres, etc.

Errr, and that's about it...

This is my impression from playing the tutorial, a couple of Random Map, and the first mission of the campaign game.
Of course the game iss interesting and the graphics are pretty good (you need a 1.4 processor to run, as well as a good graphics card) and I see that it has enough "space" for designers to create stuff.
Sorry, I'll stick with AoM for at least another year, as I feel that it's not done as a game yet.

best regards

George

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
AuthorReplies:
Archaeopterix
Mortal
posted 31 October 2005 07:03 AM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
Fully agree. All hail AoM.
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 31 October 2005 08:26 AM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
Technically, this thread does not belong at the AoMH forums. However, since it's obvious that you've spent a bit of time on it, I'll merely stick an OT tag on it.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
dwieeb
Mortal
posted 31 October 2005 11:38 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23       

Quote:

All hail AoM.

I agree

Unfortunatly, the majority of the general public don't.

And there will be fewer people that play AOM

Anywho...maybe the expansion for AOE3 will have more nifty stuff.

I think the biggest reason for it having a "big deal" is that the graphics are absolutly incredible, with a fast computer. (yay!) But other than that, I don't see why it's better than AOM

btw the editor sucks!

Alex
(VIP) Reverie World Studios
(id: pEpsIdUDe_123)
posted 31 October 2005 12:20 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
I'm going to keep designing for AOM until AOE3 fixes all of their patches they need to fix.

But for now, I can't even stand looking at the AOE forum. What the hell is going on????

Angel Sith
Mortal
(id: X_SithLord)
posted 31 October 2005 12:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
It's Halloween, at which point HG traditionally changes the colour schemes of the forums. (Thankfully temporarily)

Sith
Halo 2 Stats | AoMH | AoE3H | FMT

[This message has been edited by Sith (edited 10-31-2005 @ 12:33 PM).]

Kumar Shah
Mortal
posted 31 October 2005 12:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
Hey guys,

I have played the full version of AoE3, and its really awesome.

Kumar

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
RiderOfEternity
Mortal
posted 31 October 2005 01:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
It does feel kinda bland without GPs doesn't it...

However I really would prefer to design for a game which has (or will have) a larger download base, and that looks more beautiful.

Having said that though, I believe the editor and modding part of aoe3 seems to be worse than aom at the moment (in some respects). I feel I'm going to delve into FPS modding/mapping.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Argalius
Mortal
posted 31 October 2005 01:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       

Quote:

Having said that though, I believe the editor and modding part of aoe3 seems to be worse than aom at the moment (in some respects). I feel I'm going to delve into FPS modding/mapping.

I've been looking into this too. The problem is, though, I hardly own any shooters.

Maybe Elder Scrolls would be a good one to try out, if my PC can run it...

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades

[This message has been edited by Argalius (edited 10-31-2005 @ 01:23 PM).]

Cavuy
Mortal
(id: jonathan1222)
posted 31 October 2005 04:52 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
They made the forum "scary" to fit Halloween.

I've delved into AoE3's editor many times, you can overlap buildings and all the other similiar things you could do in AoM.

But, the brush sizes are circular, and the raze elevation tool is not very good in usefullness compared to AoM. The mix tool is good, atleast we won't be seeing maps with no terrian blending in AoE3.

And, there seems to be no way to unlock the camera like in AoM:TT, alt-shift-C doesn't work. You can't rotate units like you could in the New X Editors. There is a ship unit that is independant of elevation, meaning that it won't be raised if you raise the elevation, and because it's big, it's an ideal object for camera tracks where units are on board a ship.

The cliff tool isn't as user freindly as in AoM.
In AoE3, you must first drag a bar to define what hieght your cliff will be, then place it down. To high? You have to undo it and try agian. AoM is much easier.

The forest tool is useless, it's extremely hard to place down trees with it.

So, so far I'm designing with AoM, playing AoE3, and occasionally praticing designing in AoE3.

Cavuy (formerly jonathan1222) | Writer, Graphic & Web Designer
ex-Modder and Scenario Designer | Legacy
Member since May 5th, 2003
Anastasoulis
Mortal
posted 01 November 2005 02:24 AM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
goodmorning guys,

Shiva, thanks for your action. I made this thread in order to support AoM which is my favourite and cost-effective past time.

@ KS
I'll buy it and get into the forum at the beginning of 2007, cause then they'll have it fixed enough. Perhaps, by then Reyk will have fixed the editor, and RiderOfEternity and the other guys will have produced enough mods to make it more interesting.

BTW, they keep making games that require "stronger" computer machines to play, is that to make us buy new machines ~ I wonder?

regards

the Elder
Albert Einstein
Rabid_Potatoe
Mortal
posted 01 November 2005 04:34 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
I hate it when my pc can't run things

Rabid Potatoe Is The Win.
Reinfire
Mortal
posted 01 November 2005 05:33 AM EDT (US)     12 / 23       

Quote:

and RiderOfEternity and the other guys will have produced enough mods to make it more interesting.

By that time, there will be lotsa awesome scenarios out as well.

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
Nodgene
Mortal
posted 01 November 2005 07:26 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23       

Quote:

btw the editor sucks!

It's based on the AoM one with more features you dolt! :P

And FPS mapping!? You need to know how to use a 3d editing application to make them, usually. Which is - AHHHHHHHHHHH!! Rather not - so - easy.

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."
Protecting the public from the Christian Taliban since forever.
RiderOfEternity
Mortal
posted 01 November 2005 11:45 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23       

Quote:

But, the brush sizes are circular

They're defaulted circular you say? Well that's great

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Anastasoulis
Mortal
posted 02 November 2005 03:17 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention:
You can't easily read the letters from the pop ups that appear explaining things, and specially the stuff with techs etc. at the bottom of the screen.

I think this game is directed towards the American market more, cause it's all about colonizing the new world basically.

Hey guys, do you want me to post an icon of what's shown on the screen during gameplaying AoEIII (the demo version)?

regards

the Elder
Albert Einstein
Nodgene
Mortal
posted 02 November 2005 05:58 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23       

Quote:

I think this game is directed towards the American market more, cause it's all about colonizing the new world basically.

Problem with that is the American markets isn't that paticular for RTSs. In general Europe is the bigger fan of them - and by far, better at them.

You go to any American servers for RTSs, in general - you'll find so many more newbie tactics being used. Whereas if you go to a European server for the same game - you'll get beaten by a 12 year old in 5 minutes.

So I suppose aiming it at an american market is baaad. They would have to n00bify it

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."

[This message has been edited by Nodgene (edited 11-02-2005 @ 06:00 AM).]

Gerbs
Mortal
(id: gerbil30)
posted 02 November 2005 11:50 AM EDT (US)     17 / 23       

Quote:

you'll get beaten by a 12 year old in 5 minutes.

Guess who that is...

i will only complicate you - trust in me and fall as well
Hessu
Mortal
posted 02 November 2005 02:41 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
I'm not that young!
Xdaamno
Mortal
posted 02 November 2005 04:01 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
Shame, cause I am:P

Or... slightly younger.

Gerbs
Mortal
(id: gerbil30)
posted 02 November 2005 04:17 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23       

Quote:

I'm not that young!

I meant me, you dolt.

i will only complicate you - trust in me and fall as well
Anastasoulis
Mortal
posted 03 November 2005 02:35 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
hey gerbs,
I know what you mean, cause one time we played online (me and my wife) AoEII, and got beaten by a storm of Egyptian chariots like in 7 minutes, although I think that the guy used some cheat codes.

I don't think though that you can find many 12 year olds in Europe whose parents leave them unchecked to devote so many hours to online gaming. I think that this thing happens in the US mostly, correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, I remember reading the statistics from the E.U. where it said that the Intelligence level of the people in Europe, is higher than the people of the US, and that's because of the education systems used and the type of citizens each country wants "produced".

As for AoEIII, already it's limitations became visible and the modders-scripters started work to provide mods and new RMS scripts in order to make the game have a wider scope+more variety in maps.

regards

George

the Elder
Albert Einstein
Nodgene
Mortal
posted 03 November 2005 07:49 AM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
Oh trust me, at least for "Red Alert 2" and most likely "C&C Generals", thats what you found. The older gamers I spoke to on the battlefield kept complaining that:
"Your 12? That's the fourth guy today that's been 12, and three of them have beaten me..."
I think the Europeans are far more hard-core gamers.

Rabid_Potatoe
Mortal
posted 04 November 2005 03:47 AM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
Why, thank you

Rabid Potatoe Is The Win.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames