You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Let the competition commence!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Let the competition commence!
Wurmish
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 00:06 AM EDT (US)         
Well, I finally got around to getting myself signed up here, and I would like to introduce myself for those of you who don't know me.
I am Wurmish.
Done with introductions, I think I should start my posting here with something... noticable...
I have been working on an Escape for about 2 and a half months, now I know, I know, not another Escape... This escape is not revolutionary, but it will provide a very nice change in the escaping community.

Several new or relatively unheard-of things are involved:
The random hunter feature (suspense!).
The balancing feature to give runners or hunters an advantage.
The ability to create different types of games, which I will describe briefly in a bit.
The ability to set the game length to 10, 20, or 30 minutes.
The hunters can upgrade his/her units' attack versus heroes (i.e. the citizen).

Now, some people I have met seem to think that there is only one way to escape... they shall be disproved with the following list:
Game modes:

Classic: Two hunters agaisnt four runners. Shared LOS as well with timeshifting.

Competition Mode: Ah, the competing for victory! This mode directly influenced the map layout. There are four teams: Each hunter by themself and two teams with 2 runners. Each hunter attempts to kill his/her runner team first to win, but if both hunters fail to do so within the time limit, the runners will then proceed to kill each other in hand to hand combat, no buildings of any sort allowed.

Cut-throat Mode: This is the same as Competition mode, except there are NO teams whatsoever, and due to this, the hunter units are weakened somewhat for fairer gameplay.

Quick Set-up: Balanced Competition for 20 minutes if you don't want to spend time customizing.

Naturally, the true fun comes in when the 3-minute interval random events happen, and a few of the possibilities I think are new. One such ability is that with all my escapes current and planned, I limit the amount of towers and Sky Passages for fairness, and one or two events will increase or decrease the amount of buildings of a certain type. The other one that comes to mind is that the population cost of hunters' units can be changed to go up or down, thereby restricting or augmenting the hunters' chances.

One last thing, since some people will have noticed that there is an option to favor the runners or hunters, they might think that player 1, as the host, will abuse that ability. My solution is that all the options are chosen BEFORE the two hunters from each set (players 1,2 and 3; players 4,5 and 6), so the selector cannot favor him/herself.

Some screenies: Mind you, these are old, some elevations have changed, player colors, some terrain here and there, etc. But anyway...

Total Map: http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen03mn.jpg
Closer look at intro/quick setup area: http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen14qj.jpg
Hunter Base: http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen61wh.jpg
Runner starting area: http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen74za.jpg

And of course, you might want to know the random events.
Just for reference, here is what I plan to put in:

Increases to:
__Runners:
____HP (75 and 150)
____Speed (.25 and 1)
____Building Time
____Building Limits (+5 Towers and +1 Passage)
__Hunters:
____HP (100 and 225)
____Speed (.5 and 1.25)
____Training Time
____Population Count for Units (+1 each)

Decreases to:
__Runners:
____Building Time
__Hunters:
____Training Time
____Population Count for Units (-1 each)

God Powers:
__2 Restorations for Runners
__4 Undermines for Hunters
__Gaia Earthquake
__Gaia Volcanoes

There will also be some extra Sub-Events. These will occur when the QVs are a certain combination for normal Events.

Sub-Events:
__Gaia Meteors
__Runners get an Armor bonus (+.05 Hack/+.075 Pierce)
__2 Earthquakes for Hunters
__Hunters get a Lure that will become either me (Wurmish) or me(Wurmish_Alter_Ego). Yes, I am a little egotistical right now. The first me will have good attack, range, and HP, while my alternate (that's me at AS... confused yet?) will have better armor, LOS, and speed.

And for those who are rather new to this whole concept, I have managed to make a well-working explanatory cinematic with sound effects and visual appeal to keep interest for the newbies (there is a difference between newbs and noobs in my book). It worked rather well on some formerly clueless friends of mine

And for AS people who read this: Hey I finally got registered! *waves*

Something something a quarter of a century old.
AuthorReplies:
Neko Magi
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 00:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
Wow! This is accually pretty good! It's not the BEST scenario out there (No offence), but it definetly is a noteable one. By the way, nice announcement. It doesn't make the reader bored. All I can say is:

A) Welcome to AoMH
B) Good work on the scenario
C) Can't wait to see your next project

[This message has been edited by Neko Magi (edited 07-14-2006 @ 00:19 AM).]

V01ture
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 01:53 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
I know you.

Anyways, hi.

AdZyZ
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 02:55 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Welcome to the forums!

For your first scenario, it sounds very good, and well done. I'm not fond of escape maps, but I will download this to look at the trigger work

-[Hello..
Archaeopterix
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 06:02 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Please, add some eyecandy to it! Some trees, rocks, different terrains... It's really much more fun to play on a pretty map.
Nodgene
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 07:32 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       

Quote:

I have been working on an Escape for about 2 and a half months

Good lord.

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."
Protecting the public from the Christian Taliban since forever.
Tombit
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 07:47 AM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Wurmish isn't a newbie, he's been an active forummer at AS for a while now, and has contributed a lot. I've also playtested the Escape, and it is quite good.

Wurmish
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 09:35 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
There is more eyecandy to it, those pics are old, and I was too tired to go and get more recent screenies to show. And besides, if there is too much eyecandy, people might not pay attention due to the awesomeness I might accomplish

This has been in progress for 2 and a half months mostly because I am still learning how to forsee every possible situation in a scenario. For example, I had a small problem with the case of player one accidentally deleting an old man meant to set up a game setting (this I thought about actually). That is when I decided to add quick setup for a quick game, or if you mess up when in advanced setups.
2 and a half months also because I am almost paranoid about fairness, I keep testing to make sure the balanced mode of the game really is balanced. All I need to do now is put in those random events and maybe convert some terrain for a change here and there, then test a bit more, then done.

And also, why good lord about working that long? The longer you work on it, the closer to perfection you should get! Of course, after a certain point in time, the time spent does not justify the quality gained, and I have almost reached that point I do believe...

AngleOfLight
Mortal
posted 14 July 2006 10:14 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
Well..
1 Welcome to AoMH
2 That's got to be the best escape I've seen.
3 Good Job!
Mephiles
Mortal
(id: Titan602)
posted 14 July 2006 10:56 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
Hi!

For a new guy, this isn't half bad! Looks good

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
nuclear arbitor
Mortal
posted 15 July 2006 01:37 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
becarful with the escapies getting too good. u could help alleviate this by makking it so they could only build 2 sky passages

death is not the worst, it is the ultimate end
Wurmish
Mortal
posted 15 July 2006 07:03 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
I'm not sure if you looked at the screenies, but if you play in Competition or Cut Throat mode, you will notice that the essential playing field is drastically reduced in size, the map is rather small, and with strategically placed scouts, the escapers would need quite a few more than two passages to even stand a chance in the 30 minute games...
Of course, the main way to survive on this is to get lucky or to be much better than the hunter(s) in question. Most of the escapes I have made, am working on, or plan to do will be balanced slightly in favor of the hunters, so that the hunting community will increase in size. The one thing I hate most is hosting a fair (or relatively fair) escape and having two people connect at the same time, and the one getting the hunter slot just quitting because they probably had a bad hunting experience on an unbalanced map (007 Maze Escape & its ripoffs, anyone? No offense to creator, but it IS rather unfair).

Off-topic: That beta server is emptier than a tomb, not counting the experts that I avoid like the plague.

Paperfriend
Mortal
posted 15 July 2006 07:20 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Better then what I hear most of time,

gl.

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say
nuclear arbitor
Mortal
posted 16 July 2006 01:19 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
it would be nice if u made the map have some shape too, other then thust being flat with crapy hills and paint. most of them r like that. also instead of giving. the hunters myth units u could give them liike hoptilits or some other low cost unit. might help some. and no i didnt look at the screenies, i didnt even see them lol

death is not the worst, it is the ultimate end
Wurmish
Mortal
posted 16 July 2006 09:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Yeah, there's more than just crappy hills, I did my best to make the cliff terrain on steep slopes, which means that the map itself has several strategic hills you might want to place a base on if you're running, or a mirror tower/temple if you are hunting.
The only parts where the map is flat is in the setup area, the corners of the bases, and maybe part of a hill or depression here and there.

shadeslayer
Mortal
posted 17 July 2006 08:48 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
normally i hate escapes with a passion (not offense thats just me) but this sounds very interesting. Definetaly worth the work. Great job and good luck!
shadeslayer
Wurmish
Mortal
posted 18 July 2006 00:35 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
No offense taken, some people hate things, while others love them (I do not understand many Sims games... or Trojan Wall/Bridge things... or 007 Escape and ripoffs of such...)

But anyway, I just finished up almost everything else on a burst of inspiration that a friend gave me, and this will be ready to release tomorrow after a bit of tweaking . That way it will circulate while I'm off at camp and a river trip... hopefully circulate...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames