Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.42 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Trojan Prisoners
Bottom
Topic Subject:Trojan Prisoners
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Lupus
Sage
posted 11 December 2007 04:38 PM EDT (US)         

When you work with really big projects, you tend to get bored, which sometimes ends up with a little scenario besides the bigger one. My intention this time was to create a very short and a not so special scenario, but hopefully entertaining.

So if you have some time to kill, why not test "Trojan Prisoners". It is actually my first scenario which I've made as a member of Tsunami Studios. =)

Plot:
Our famous heroes have been captured by the Trojans and must escape from the Trojan Fortress during the night. They are separated from each other, however, both Arkantos and Odysseus manage to get out from their jail. Now they have to sneak out from the fortress without getting coughed. It's up to you to decide if you have time to rescue other prisoners too.

Progress:
Map design: 100%
Triggers: 100%

To decrease the pointlessness a bit, I've added one feature. During the whole game you can earn points by finding secrets. The result will be shown in the end. How many points can you get?
Yes, you can simply look in the triggers. Well, go ahead then, it isn't my fun that gets spoiled.

The screenshots aren't the best... But it's better to give some kind of direction. I suggest that you should play it instead.

Playtesters:
1. Alex
2. Banoffee

[This message has been edited by Lupus (edited 12-25-2007 @ 07:57 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Potato_Monkey
Mortal
posted 11 December 2007 06:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 42       
No offense, but this looks just like the campaign version...maybe add a bigger twist than said 'point' system?
AnnoDominius
Mortal
posted 11 December 2007 06:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 42       
Not to discredit your work. I idea sounds interesting and your shots are conventionally standard but like Potato_Monkey said, this is very much a carbon copy in terms of style of the ES Campaign. It seems Tsunami's entree requirements have dropped somewhat since I last recall. You used to have to be 'world-class' to get in.

ROME: 78 BC | | | | | THE LOST RUINS
Rome in your hands | Of Ancient Mesoamerica

AOMh Member since 2004
Lupus
Sage
posted 11 December 2007 08:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 42       
I'm not sure of what you mean with "ES Campaign"... But if it is the same as the main campaign "The fall of the trident" you have clearly misunderstood the whole concept, since it has nothing in common with any scenario I've played. (Except that you are inside Trojan walls, but with a totally new look.)

There is barely no war in this scenario, and in contrast to the ES scenario you have to figure out things and solve small puzzles to get out.
To make it more "exciting" there is plenty of secrets all around the scenario which you hopefully don't find the first time you play.

I don't know why you involve Tsunami qualifications in this... I didn't create the scenario to revolutionize the whole AOM community. No, it's just a extremely small scenario which probably takes 20 minutes to complete. And as a compensation I've added that point system so you can play it again and try to find more secrets.

I wasn't asked to join Tsunami because of this scenario. The reason was the scenarios The Relic of Water (which was awarded as the best single player scenario) and The Relic of Darkness (which has been reviewed as "one of the best scenarios I've ever played"). If that isn't good enough I don't know what I should do to satisfy people.

So once again, this is just a little scenario for fun. It takes more than a year to complete a project, and if I don't take some pauses to create something smaller, I won't barely be able to have any scenarios. I know that the screenshots isn't the best... However the only one I could take without revealing to much.
I just thought that it was a lot of judgements for not have playing the scenario yet.

Alex
(VIP) Reverie World Studios
(id: pEpsIdUDe_123)
posted 11 December 2007 08:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 42       
Geniet/Lupus is a fantastic designer. Just play his puzzle scenarios to find out. I was the one who invited him to join Tsunami, and I'm not about to regret my decision. Tsunami's mission statement does not say it only hires the best of the best. Before Lupus, Vandhaal was quite possibly the only active AoMer on the team. With that said, we would be screwed if every team member had to live up to his standard or not join. But anyways, we have seen great potential in our Dutch friend here and have decided he would make an excellent addition to the team.

Lupus, your scenario looks nice. Hard to imagine anything but a puzzle scenario from you, but I guess I will have to play and find out what this is like.

I'll playtest.
seventhstrike@gmail.com

Potato_Monkey
Mortal
posted 11 December 2007 09:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 42       
Ok...if you think so...but personally, I don't think it's all that great.
Alex
(VIP) Reverie World Studios
(id: pEpsIdUDe_123)
posted 11 December 2007 10:11 PM EDT (US)     6 / 42       
And that's fine but there's no reason for snide remarks. Even if this is just a quick scenario Lupus made between his famous large-scale puzzle scenarios, he still spent time on it and weighing down your posts with negatives is not a good way of showing appreciation.

Your first post was fine but the second post wasn't necessary. Nor was suggesting he was unworthy to join Tsunami as we (Tsunami) are not that shallow.

But anyways, enough of this. Let's get to the positives and any constructive criticism.

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 12-11-2007 @ 10:13 PM).]

Banoffee
Mortal
posted 12 December 2007 00:02 AM EDT (US)     7 / 42       
Ok...if you think so...but personally, I don't think it's all that great.
With all due respects potato_monkey, you're not the greatest scenario designer in the world either. Don't insult other people's work when you can't even do better.

Lupus, I look forward to playing this.
Playtesting:
toffee_banoffee@yahoo.co.nz

[This message has been edited by Banoffee (edited 12-12-2007 @ 00:03 AM).]

AnnoDominius
Mortal
posted 12 December 2007 06:51 AM EDT (US)     8 / 42       
Ok, you've fairly defended your position. I'm prepared to withdraw my statement regarding your qualification for Tsunami, congrats on that btw.

My main criticism, and perhap I didn't come across constructive enough nor as clearly as i intended, was that your visual style seems almost indentical to that of the ES designers (and yes i did mean the fall of the trident campaign). i wasn't talking about your scenarios concept, that sounds unique to it's own degree, however I find the ES campaign very structured in terms of the use of units and terrain, etc. I mean to say, that being compared to ES designers is of course a compliment, they arn't hired for no reason. However, I find that working outside the convention produces more awe inspiring results. Even if your scenario is only 20 minutes playing time the map design could make it amazing. I only fear that people will discredit your works because it looks too standard.

AOMh Member since 2004
Elrich
Hero
posted 12 December 2007 11:45 AM EDT (US)     9 / 42       
With all due respects potato_monkey, you're not the greatest scenario designer in the world either. Don't insult other people's work when you can't even do better.
You don't have to be great at something to be able to criticize it. What coach is better than than the players on the team? Look at movie critics. Do you think they can make a movie like the ones they criticize? It helps, of course, to know how to do what you critcize, but being 'good' at it is not necessary. Judging/criticizing is only part of the skill to create.

AnnoDominius, that was a pretty rough slam on Lupus and Tsunami Studios. You sound more like someone with an axe to grind. Though, Lupus made it easy by being the first to insult his own scenario "To decrease the pointlessness a bit..." "The screenshots is quite bad..."

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
AnnoDominius
Mortal
posted 12 December 2007 12:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 42       
It's a rough industry, the designing world... you have to learn to cope with intense criticism. To be honest, I was impressed by Lupus' rebuffle of my statement enough to retract it and if you've known me over the last 5 years I rarely go back on what I say.

I still maintain however that Tsuanmi's standard, in regard to AOM, isn't what it once was but that comes with age. When there are less designers to choose from, your entry requires must subsequently lower if you want to avoid clsoing down altogether.

I'm the sort of player and critic who wont play a scenario unless it's been 'sold' to me. If i'm not convinced it'll be worth my time, i won't bother. That's just how I work. Based on the evidence i see, I'd rate this scenario and concept as a whole 6/10.

AOMh Member since 2004
Elrich
Hero
posted 12 December 2007 12:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 42       
If i'm not convinced it'll be worth my time, i won't bother.
It's good to have someone like you who will tell the truth and not ones who say "oh, it looks great/nice/etc...". You don't grow from people agreeing with what you already know.

Lupus
Sage
posted 12 December 2007 01:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 42       
AnnoDominius: Then I can agree with you. Since ES created all objects they needed for each scenario, they were always consistent and used the objects "properly". With other words no eyecandy, which in fact is quite boring, indeed. However, it was kind of the point to resemble the Trojan fortress environment. I actually started to design it a long time ago, and now afterwards I just continued with the last sections.

I'm not a very active member, and few people know my kind of designing. Therefore I directly went into some kind of defence mood, to assure you that I actually have potential, even though it wasn't clear in this case.

Playtesters: I have sent you an email.

Elrich: Maybe criticizing myself wasn't the best way of getting a good impression... I didn't want you to get too high expectations though. And yes, I'll correct my grammatical mistake.

Nitro Tractor
Mortal
(id: Kill Herman)
posted 12 December 2007 01:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 42       
You don't have to be great at something to be able to criticize it. What coach is better than than the players on the team? Look at movie critics. Do you think they can make a movie like the ones they criticize? It helps, of course, to know how to do what you critcize, but being 'good' at it is not necessary. Judging/criticizing is only part of the skill to create.
This is something over the internet, with a video game. Movie critics etc, are experts in that category. They just don't say things are bad or a rip off of something. It looks like Lupus is putting alot of time into this. I don't see people walking in to Potatos topics and saying its content is crap (exept for HoV, but that's justified by the horribleness of the threads.)

I never asked for this.

[This message has been edited by Nitro Tractor (edited 12-12-2007 @ 01:57 PM).]

Potato_Monkey
Mortal
posted 12 December 2007 02:02 PM EDT (US)     14 / 42       
Whoa! I didn't mean that. I'm not insulting it, i'm just saying there's room for improvement.
AnnoDominius
Mortal
posted 12 December 2007 03:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 42       
@ Lupus: Glad we came to an understanding. Good luck with the project

AOMh Member since 2004
Lupus
Sage
posted 12 December 2007 03:58 PM EDT (US)     16 / 42       
I'm glad that you are honest, and I tried to change it a bit by adding some personal decorations in the base. So hopefully it looks a bit better now. (I don't have time for bigger improvements though.)

PrplPplEater
Mortal
posted 12 December 2007 04:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 42       
Awesome work on the 4th screenshot. Really shows a ton of improvement.
Elrich
Hero
posted 12 December 2007 04:37 PM EDT (US)     18 / 42       

I was going to respond to Nitro, but I think if you use more than three quote tags embedded, the server will crash

AnnoDominius
Mortal
posted 12 December 2007 04:58 PM EDT (US)     19 / 42       
agreed, huge improvement. And I even like your use of limestone rocks as borders when I have a vendetta against that. You implement the style in a much more realistic way, well done.

AOMh Member since 2004
Lupus
Sage
posted 13 December 2007 10:51 AM EDT (US)     20 / 42       
Thanks! =) The project will be paused until next week though, since I have a big chemistry examination on Tuesday and a Latin test tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Lupus (edited 12-13-2007 @ 10:52 AM).]

AnnoDominius
Mortal
posted 13 December 2007 12:01 PM EDT (US)     21 / 42       
ah Latin! how I love thee!

AOMh Member since 2004
Urgwaine
Mortal
posted 13 December 2007 12:17 PM EDT (US)     22 / 42       
I've had a Latin test today Love me too :P

Honourary Mention in the 2006 Pretty Town Contest
A Unique Age of Mythology Experience:
A Trip to Talos
It's f*cking awesome
Lupus
Sage
posted 13 December 2007 06:09 PM EDT (US)     23 / 42       
I love Latin, but the test is impossible tough... We had to learn the whole "Mozart's Requiem" (a bell ringing? :P)

Did you also take Latin classes AnnoDominius, since your name is Latin. (I think Anno = Year and Dominius = Lord...)

Well, maybe a bit of topic *cough*

By the way, do anyone mind if I use your names to the soldiers in the scenario?

Banoffee
Mortal
posted 15 December 2007 04:41 AM EDT (US)     24 / 42       
Lupus, how do I convert the file for playtesting you sent me to the addaquet file to put in my scenario folder?
Lupus
Sage
posted 15 December 2007 06:52 AM EDT (US)     25 / 42       
But I sent you a new updated file, which is a regular .scx file.

The other one was a regular .rar file, like a .zip but compressed with WinRAR instead of WinZIP. WinRAR is much better since you also can open .zip, .rar and more. And it's free. (you don't have to wait 5 years to be able to use it)

I also use to be in the Sims community like millions of other people, and there is .rar files the most common packages.
Alex also didn't know about the .rar which surprised me.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames