You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » New designer question.
Bottom
Topic Subject:New designer question.
WENCProductions
Mortal
posted 05 December 2009 06:57 PM EDT (US)         
Hello and thank you for reading, I will try to make it short and quick.

short short background:
I am brand new to the AOM editor but I have some experience in coding.

Basic Gameplay:
I am looking to design a multiplayer map that will be fully control point based.
All units are spawned by control points at specific intervals.
No units or buildings will be able to be built but will spawn once a player "takes over" a control point.

Gameplay will consist of each player starting in a small village with a small timed unit spawn and then can expand out taking larger pre built villages/cities (by destroying a "key building" in that city)that spawn more(or better )units.
Buildings would not be destroyable except the "key building" which would respawn post destruction.

Loss occur when you loose all control points and all units.

Question:
What my question is to those more familiar with the tools given; are the built in tools going to be enough or am I looking at having to script/code this?

Advanced gameplay potentials:
Blacksmiths:
Taking over a village that has lets say a blacksmith would give all your units the first set of blacksmith upgrades. Taking two would give the second. losing one or both would take away the same until the village is recaptured.
Trade Routes:
Taking a city with a market would create a caravan between the cities that would slightly decrease the spawn time(or perhaps just spawn a unit upon delivery) of units in those cities. Caravans will slowly grow in size with each one speeding up the unit spawns
Temples:
Taking a city with a Temples would give some relic bonus or god power to that play while under control
AuthorReplies:
Alex_Of_Macedon
Mortal
posted 05 December 2009 07:00 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
There's no way you need script or coding for this, triggers are fully able to do this, it has even probably been done before.

Winner of the AoMH Screenshot Tournament IV
Some of my cinematics: Vinland Saga Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) The Bow of Odysseus The Final Destination of Alexander the Great
THYMOLE
Mortal
posted 05 December 2009 07:27 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
All of this is easily possible except for the part about losing blacksmith techs. However you could have the same effect by simply modifying the units instead of granting technologiies. The aom editor is very good, just download nottuds superpack from the download central.

All units are spawned by control points at specific intervals...
No units or buildings will be able to be built but will spawn once a player "takes over" a control point.
Condition Timer=whatever
effect: Army deploy

Then use the condition "Is owned" to choose what player to convert the army to.
Buildings would not be destroyable except the "key building" which would respawn post destruction.
Just set up a computer player who owns the invincible buildings and is set to peace with every player, and have the players own the destructable ones
Loss occur when you loose all control points and all units.
NOT
Condition: Is owned by(if none of the CP's are owned by that player)
Effect: Kill all units

For the blacksmith i would just use the "modify protounit all" effect and raise the attack points by a few for every blacksmith they got. and then lower it if they lose em

For the Trade Routes do the same thing as with the blacksmith, modifying the caravans to be faster, and deploying more caravans as you go.

For the temples just do:
Condition: Is owned by, Timer
Effect: Grant GP

Sorry if this is a bit messy. Seems like a good idea to me.

Protounit=Unit type
Quest Var (QV)=A variable
WENCProductions
Mortal
posted 05 December 2009 07:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Thank you both for your replies.
Hammerhands
Mortal
posted 05 December 2009 08:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
For the caravans, you could still have them running between a Town Center and a market, and just have the gold disappear upon reaching a certain value, and get 'changed' into something else. Take fifty gold give five HP, for example.

I can only think of one trigger that you might want to script, and that would be forbid units all. Because it would other wise take a GOB of trigger effects, or a lot of time in the forbid units box, ticking off every box, to forbid them all. Simpler to use forbid units all, once for each player. Or for all players at once.

I say go for it. Sounds good.

For the control point buildings, you could just use a plenty vault or healing spring and a 'units owned' condition to create the units and buildings. This would keep you from having to have a strange mix of building create strings. And that way it would work with dominate force in the area. Which in it's own way would not only mess things up for the players, but also help them. Because when the vault changes hands (Imagine a battle around the thing) the units that were being produced would no longer be queued.
THYMOLE
Mortal
posted 05 December 2009 08:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
If you are not building units just put a "forbid all units" effect into the start, no need to script
Hammerhands
Mortal
posted 05 December 2009 09:11 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
I do not recall such an effect. Which is why I figured he'd have to script it.

[This message has been edited by Hammerhands (edited 12-05-2009 @ 09:12 PM).]

Alex Pan
Mortal
posted 05 December 2009 11:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
I like the idea. It reminds me of Unreal Tournament's slaughter.

Though I think you can do everything you mentioned in triggers.
Ruairidh888
Mortal
posted 06 December 2009 05:48 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
Makes me think of the Star Wars Battlefront games.

Yeebaagooon: See, he's hardcore. Opting for people rather than vegetables!
perpetual_n00b
Immortal
posted 06 December 2009 08:25 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
I do not recall such an effect. Which is why I figured he'd have to script it.
There is a Forbid ALL Units effect in nottud's superpack. I also came up with a shortened version for CASTWCRT
<Effect name="Forbid ALL Units 2">
<Param name="PlayerID" dispName="Player" VarType="string">1</Param>
<Command>trQuestVarSet("ModProtoRandomQV", 0);</Command>
<Command>while(999>=trQuestVarGet("ModProtoRandomQV")) {</Command>
<Command>trForbidProtounit(%PlayerID%,""+kbGetProtoUnitName(trQuestVarGet("ModProtoRandomQV")));</Command>
<Command>trQuestVarSet("ModProtoRandomQV", trQuestVarGet("ModProtoRandomQV")+1);}</Command>
</Effect>

<Effect name="Unforbid ALL Units 2">
<Param name="PlayerID" dispName="Player" VarType="string">1</Param>
<Command>trQuestVarSet("ModProtoRandomQV", 0);</Command>
<Command>while(999>=trQuestVarGet("ModProtoRandomQV")) {</Command>
<Command>trUnforbidProtounit(%PlayerID%,""+kbGetProtoUnitName(trQuestVarGet("ModProtoRandomQV")));</Command>
<Command>trQuestVarSet("ModProtoRandomQV", trQuestVarGet("ModProtoRandomQV")+1);}</Command>
</Effect>
Nick The Hun
Mortal
(id: Nick_The_Hunn)
posted 06 December 2009 09:52 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
This reminds me of Fate of The Dragon,
you have to destroy the gate for a percent of damage (around 75-80%) than the gate collapses and you can fight enemy armies, archers on the walls etc.
You'll have to destroy the City Palace to capture his/her city and control it, this way the player looses. Like a Sudden Death in Rise of Nations.
nottud
Mortal
posted 06 December 2009 06:25 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
I need to get round to shortening effects such as forbid all. I never knew such shortcuts or such when I was around and such "all" type of triggers never existed. It was only after me making a few that someone else figured out how to make the short versions...

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
THYMOLE
Mortal
posted 06 December 2009 06:43 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
lostrozzacavalli
Mortal
posted 07 December 2009 03:59 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
@Perpetual| Also, if you do an "all units" effect please use a loop of "800", that is the number of protounits of AoMTT and not "999"! The trigger runs 199 useless times...

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames