You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » project (no name yet)
Bottom
Topic Subject:project (no name yet)
bloodrex
Mortal
posted 12 December 2009 12:31 PM EDT (US)         
well hi, i'm new here and recently picked up aom again after a long break, and i started to edit maps again. I couldn't find everything i needed to know, but it helped to refresh a lot.

anyway, here's my project:
note: i can't find a good name and until now it's name is "poseidon" which refers to the god the nation worships.

A prosperous nation gets attacked by a large unknown creature, and the army gets send out to stop it, but the army easily gets destroyed, after that the creature(a fire giant) starts a rampage through the land and the player(s) have to stop them.

The player(s) can't train any units, but can gather resources to buy units. Or he can use his resources to weaken the fire giant.

The key in this game will be to keep your cities alive because they will spawn units as long as the military buildings are alive.

civilian units can be changed into militia at the nearest temple/shrine. Some units will transform to heroes upon death.

(i have an idea of how to make the fire giant randomly teleport through the map)

well er discuss, give me tips

(btw i can't figure out how i can make something explode when a units get near :/ it just won't work)
AuthorReplies:
WRP
Mortal
(id: WRP_BEATER)
posted 12 December 2009 12:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
i have an idea of how to make the fire giant randomly teleport through the map
You can transform the giant to a cinematic block and transform another cinematic block to a fire giant.
btw i can't figure out how i can make something explode when a units get near :/ it just won't work
A "Distance to unit" condition and a "Damage unit percent" will be fine. Then you can add a "Army deploy to unit" to make some fire appear.

AoMH retired Scenario designer
Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
bloodrex
Mortal
posted 12 December 2009 01:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
ah so it's distance to unit and not units in area? -facepalms-

and for the fire giant thing that's exactly what i was thinking about... first i wanted to just make him walk to spots on the map. but i figured out it'd be easier if i could just make him teleport around, so i thought of using cinematic blocks...

how to do it random: check if resources of one type > a certain amount then make a cinematic block transform into a fire giant on another spot.

^ not sure if that would work though... so any idea's on how to make it random would be helpfull
Kai Hirogashi
Mortal
posted 12 December 2009 02:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
You could use Qvalue or Qvectors they are rather easy try Qvalues:

QuestVarRandomize> v1 to v3
conditionqvcheck > v1
effects...
conditionalzend
conditionqvcheck > v2
effects...
conditionalzend
conditionqvcheck > v3
effects...
conditionalzend

Allways put a conditionalZend after each conditional effect!

Vectors are a bit more complicated but im sure you could ask in the question thread next time which would save re-talk.

Cheers

|MEMORY|
Lupus
Sage
posted 12 December 2009 05:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
Is this a multiplayer scenario? I've also been thinking on a similar mechanism where you send normal villagers to the military academy to get trained.
it's name is "poseidon" which refers to the god the nation worships.
Yes, in contrast to Poseidon the table.

[This message has been edited by Lupus (edited 12-12-2009 @ 05:04 PM).]

somerandomdude
Mortal
posted 12 December 2009 06:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Is there a proper storyline? Like for the heroes.

Sounds good, how far have you gone into making it?

To the slaughter!
To the slaughter!
A race to the slaughterhouse!
bloodrex
Mortal
posted 12 December 2009 06:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
Not far, just started actually, this is what's it going to look like though, have some idea's for eyecandy, for the cities

The villagers won't get trained, if you get them to the temple they just pick up their weapons, which triggers another trigger which makes them go back to normal after a minute <= just an idea but i've always liken to play around with the change unit type triggers.

And for the heroes, yes i do have a storyline... but i never like cinematics which lasted to long... so i might actually let cinematics appear after a few minuts.

The game will have 3 heroes and 1 priest in the major city, and 2 heroes in the larger cities.

the priest is just an ordinary worshipper, but which can receive a blessing once in the game, and dies when it ends. One of the heroes is a female (atalanta) which is a famous warrior who was planning her wedding during the siege on the first city. The second hero is a male (jason) who is supposed to mary the female hero. The last hero in the major city is the general of the army and is a famous strategist and warrior.

The 2 heroes in the 2 larger cities are brothers of each other and need to govern those cities, but are famous fighters nonetheless.

if you want more info on the scenario feel free to ask. i'm only editing the map during lunch breaks/breaks at college.
Hammerhands
Mortal
posted 12 December 2009 06:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
The problem with changing cinematic blocks is that they will no longer be there to be turned into again. The giant will move them, as he walks around and destroys stuff.

This will also help you out in ways. This means that the monster will be less likely to land in the same spot twice, especially in a big map. If you start out without a monster, and have all of the cinematic blocks in an army, and all of them have the same name change, you should be able to change one of them to a fire giant, have him walk to an enemy target, destroy it, and then change back to a cinematic block. A few minutes later have another cinematic block change into him and destroy another target. Once he moves and changes back to a cinematic block you have effectively moved your cinematic block.

You can use a QV randomizer, and QV sets to pick out which one of the blocks to change to. Probably no more than thirty. You'll have to ask someone else how to use the randomizer. I'm not that good yet.

I would use an effect designed to move a unit in a direction but without a particular destination. You can use QV randomize to choose which direction and this effect (I think unit/army move relative to unit/army) to make the unit move.

If you pull this off... it will be a great map. Ask lots of questions, and take your time. Good luck!
bloodrex
Mortal
posted 13 December 2009 06:25 AM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
yes i know it doesn't really look all that good when seeing this... overdid a bit with the skeletons/dead bodies

[This message has been edited by bloodrex (edited 12-13-2009 @ 06:26 AM).]

Guard of Osiris
Mortal
posted 13 December 2009 06:36 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
With a bit of terrain mixing, that would be really good!

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
WRP
Mortal
(id: WRP_BEATER)
posted 13 December 2009 07:08 AM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
And modify the size of the units, but not too much.

AoMH retired Scenario designer
Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
perpetual_n00b
Immortal
posted 13 December 2009 08:28 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Here's a couple of effects you might find useful - an Army Teleport to Random Location effect and a Teleport Units to Random Location effect.

As I'm sure you can guess from the names these will teleport an army or a unit to a random location of the map.

I made them a while ago in the CASTWCRT thread after seeing one of lostrozzacavalli's random location effects.
<Effect name="Army Teleport to Random Location">
<Param name="SrcArmy" dispName="Army" VarType="group">default</Param>
<Command>trQuestVarSet("lastplayer", xsGetContextPlayer());</Command>
<Command>xsSetContextPlayer(0);</Command>
<Command>kbLookAtAllUnitsOnMap();</Command>
<Command>trQuestVarSetFromRand("MapXRandom", 0, kbGetMapXSize(), true);</Command>
<Command>trQuestVarSetFromRand("MapZRandom", 0, kbGetMapZSize(), true);</Command>
<Command>trArmySelect("%SrcArmy%");</Command>
<Command>trUnitTeleport(trQuestVarGet("MapXRandom"),0,trQuestVarGet("MapZRandom"));</Command>
<Command>xsSetContextPlayer(trQuestVarGet("lastplayer"));</Command>
</Effect>
<Effect name="Teleport Units to Random Location">
<Param name="SrcObject" dispName="Source Units" varType="unit">default</Param>
<Command>trUnitSelectClear();</Command>
<Command>trQuestVarSet("lastplayer", xsGetContextPlayer());</Command>
<Command>xsSetContextPlayer(0);</Command>
<Command>kbLookAtAllUnitsOnMap();</Command>
<Command>trQuestVarSetFromRand("MapXRandom", 0, kbGetMapXSize(), true);</Command>
<Command>trQuestVarSetFromRand("MapZRandom", 0, kbGetMapZSize(), true);</Command>
<Command loop="" loopParm="SrcObject">trUnitSelect("%SrcObject%");</Command>
<Command>trUnitTeleport(trQuestVarGet("MapXRandom"),0,trQuestVarGet("MapZRandom"));</Command>
<Command>xsSetContextPlayer(trQuestVarGet("lastplayer"));</Command>
</Effect>

[This message has been edited by perpetual_n00b (edited 12-13-2009 @ 05:40 PM).]

bloodrex
Mortal
posted 13 December 2009 01:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
i'm working on the bigger city, already did the temple to poseidon, a wonder, the palace(which i'm not to proud of)

and this: the training camp for soldiers...

Don't mind the settlements, it's just to mark some spots for smaller cities, might change.

Alex Pan
Mortal
posted 13 December 2009 05:09 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
I think you need more buildings in the bigger city. There's tons of empty space, and it has less buildings than the small one.

Also be sure to change terrains when you make buildings or add water or something. Your "greek river" pond looks sketchy when it's surrounded by green, and 2 feet away you have city tiles.
bloodrex
Mortal
posted 14 December 2009 04:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
so what would fit instead of the green? i have no idea.
somerandomdude
Mortal
posted 14 December 2009 05:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
I think alex means to just have more green inbetween the pond and the city tiles... so that it looks a bit more... better.

With the training ground screenie, perhaps near the edge of the water, instead of just city tile, you could have that city tile that is a bit overgrown and has grass? Im not sure of its name though...

To the slaughter!
To the slaughter!
A race to the slaughterhouse!

[This message has been edited by somerandomdude (edited 12-14-2009 @ 05:18 AM).]

Fluttershy
Mortal
(id: Freaky2)
posted 15 December 2009 11:19 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
I think alex means to just have more green inbetween the pond and the city tiles... so that it looks a bit more... better.
Or even less.
You could make it look like the lake was manmade, or part of the lake was filled in and the city expanded out onto it.

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
(is not as helluva drug as pepe)
bloodrex
Mortal
posted 16 December 2009 04:37 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
aaaah like that

thank you
Milkman Matty
Mortal
(id: Khan And Steak)
posted 16 December 2009 06:30 AM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
Yeah, kinda like a one sided bridge. Exapmle ~ Khan

<||=================================||>
Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
{ "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

[This message has been edited by Steak And Khan (edited 12-16-2009 @ 06:30 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames