Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Hi Guys
Bottom
Topic Subject:Hi Guys
SageK
Mortal
posted 30 December 2009 11:17 AM EDT (US)         
Hey I apologize if this is the improper place to post this but I was just curious.. Is there a future in desiginning scenerios for AOM:T?

Is it possible to submit designs to ES or microsoft to be considered for a Game/Graphic design job.. I'm just curious the amount of talent that has been put into this game in a Un-offical way is amazing but you have to ask if there is away to make money off the large amount of time that goes into designning these scenerios/RPGs

sooo with that I was just curious and you guys seem to be the best source of answers aside from ES themselves.
AuthorReplies:
Bunno
Mortal
posted 30 December 2009 11:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I doubt it. AOM:TT is a relatively old game. You could submit some, but I don't think you could live off of it.
Alex_Of_Macedon
Mortal
posted 30 December 2009 11:25 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
ES is closed in case you didn't know.

Some people go work for Purple Design studio, but apart from this I don't think so.

Winner of the AoMH Screenshot Tournament IV
Some of my cinematics: Vinland Saga Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) The Bow of Odysseus The Final Destination of Alexander the Great
THYMOLE
Mortal
posted 30 December 2009 11:32 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
There is a difference between making scenarios and designing games. The latter can be a profession, the former cannot. Sometimes companies will hire people to make scenarios for a game before its, but its not exactly a career.
HailToTheOboe
Bitten by a radioactive ostrich
posted 30 December 2009 11:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
RWS dipped into scenario design communities from previous games for some of their level designers and scenario scripters, but I don't think this sort of opportunity would come around very often.

I imagine working on a game like 0 AD would be a much bigger resume builder than making scenarios.
Peter Fallon
Mortal
(id: Xzyiothe)
posted 30 December 2009 11:48 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
Robot Entertainment (where most of ES went) has very specific criteria for new employees. And all of it is far beyond scenario designing.

So in short: no, there is no future in designing for AoM/AoT besides creating a game people here can enjoy.

However HeavenGames users' have gone onto work with ES in the past, and more recently with Wildfire Games and Reverie World Studios.

With Wildfire/Reverie you can't exactly get paid for scenario designing. Wildfire Games' projects are all freeware/open source, so it's really community-driven. Reverie's Dawn of Fantasy has many AoT SD veterans scenario designing there, as unpaid interns. Higher internship with Reverie is possible, just the people already there are of high quality. So the chances of immediately getting a paid position is close to nil.

☭ Long live the Turk ☭
"Xzy is the worst parts of kman and legion combined, only with proper spelling so you know he's smart enough to act otherwise if he wasn't such an idiot." - theferret
"Xzy is like all of the terrible Guardian contributors rolled into one person. Proof that you can genetically engineer a humanoid abomination." - Fiindil
Alex_Of_Macedon
Mortal
posted 30 December 2009 11:54 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Oh right I mixed reverie world studio with purple design

Winner of the AoMH Screenshot Tournament IV
Some of my cinematics: Vinland Saga Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) The Bow of Odysseus The Final Destination of Alexander the Great
perpetual_n00b
Immortal
posted 30 December 2009 12:01 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
You won't make a career out of designing scenarios for AOM:TT but it will give you some experience of what goes into making a game.

If you want to get into game design then I recommend learning how to program - C++ or Lua are probably the best options for games programming. I posted some links here that might be useful.

If you want to get into the graphic side of games then I recommend learning about 3D art and animation.
SageK
Mortal
posted 30 December 2009 12:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Ahhh thats pretty discouraging..

I was looking at the Requirments for job postion in Robot Enterainment..

haaaaaaaaaa
AuroraP
Mortal
posted 10 January 2010 10:59 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
If you're good at making scenarios, that's a great base for both programing and computer graphics. If you're into making games and are more of a triggerer, then i'd recommend you to learn stuff like lua, C++, C etc., perpentual already mentioned it in this thread. If you're more of an artistic type, i'd reccomend you to check out some CG forums and learn software like Maya/Softimage XSI or most notably 3ds max (max is the industry standard for games). I'm into Computer graphics so I could reccomend some stuff if you're interested.

ValorStudios
<==========]==0

[This message has been edited by AuroraP (edited 01-10-2010 @ 11:00 AM).]

Lupus
Sage
posted 10 January 2010 01:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
What education does a game designer have?

It's too bad the real fans doesn't get any chance to interfere with the development of a game. Imagine if Microsoft Games would hire/borrow some people from AoM Heaven for an eventual Age of Mythology 2.

[This message has been edited by Lupus (edited 01-10-2010 @ 01:51 PM).]

buppy
Mortal
(id: pubby8)
posted 10 January 2010 04:15 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Most developers for AoM designed the scenarios theirselves. Most developers playtest their games too.

It's not always good to have many players giving feedback while stuff is in development.

Personally, I think AoMH should e-mail robot a list of complaints/suggestions from their previous games, but keep their nose out of developement for the most part.
Would you rather have your time being spent making a game, or handling all the noobs that want to make stuff for a game?

[This message has been edited by pubby8 (edited 01-10-2010 @ 04:21 PM).]

THYMOLE
Mortal
posted 10 January 2010 05:11 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
Now that ES is detatched from Microsoft it doesnt seem all that unlikely that they would ask for a few interns to make stuff.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames