You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » WIP: Artifacts of Logic (Loki)
Bottom
Topic Subject:WIP: Artifacts of Logic (Loki)
ScionOfWar
Mortal
posted 08 January 2010 11:56 PM EDT (US)         
I wanted to announce/discuss my current work in progress and my first scenario designed for the AoM Heavengames community:

Artifacts of Logic is an ambitious storyline revolving around you, the human player, invading the magical world of gods and myths to return order and logic to a pagan world.

The quest starts with the first of nine major god battles (you guessed it, the nine major gods of AoM!). The first god I chose to do was Loki, since he's such a fun trickster that it would make a great introduction to the series.

I want to make the scenario fitting to the myths, therefor you will see some very interesting features and an awesome cast of gods and demi-gods. Hel, Fenrirsulfr, Narfi, Helblindi, Byleistr, Śtgarša-Loki, and Sigyn are all mythical characters that will be represented in this scenario.

The player will start off with one villager and an open town center. After building his city, he can begin to search for and destroy the meddling gods. The first challenge lies with the Venemous Pit - a pool of water tainted by the venom of the serpent fastened over Loki's head by Skadi. This venomous pit is the lifeblood of respawning Automaton, and the Automaton will continue to spawn until the pit is destroyed. Not only that, but for each one automaton you kill, two replace it! Without the proper strategy a player can become easily overwhelmed by these angry Automaton.

The second challenge lies with Hel. Armed with respawning minions and AI scripting, she makes a nasty challenge and guards the route west.

After Hel is sent back to Hel, players encounter Helblindi, Loki's brother. Though rarely referenced in mythology, I felt he deserved an exciting spot in the cast of opponents, and he utilizes teleportation and powerful godpowers to fight back. And is it true, he managed to capture Loki's son and king of wolves, Fenrirsulfr?

After Helblindi, players must fight Byleistr, another of Loki's siblings. I'm still working on this part.

Śtgarša-Loki, a trickster giant who fooled Loki once by challenging him to an eating contest against wildfire, makes a tricky appearance in this game. In order to progress, players must capture a relic at the end of a mine-riddled bridge. But the time limit is severe and almost impossible. Is this another of Śtgarša-Loki's tricks?

In the center of the map, players will encounter a rouge desert town which doesn't worship Loki. They're willing to join the player, on the condition he can deal with the local fire giant problem. However, trust is thin between the two civilizations and it's possible things could turn sour fast.

Beyond the desert town is Lęvateinn. This branch, mentioned in mythology as the only weapon capable of killing the blessed rooster Vithofnir, has been tainted by Loki's suffering. Now it has grown into a great and powerful tree, and it blocks the path. However, the magic of the tree prevents any humans from cutting it down.

Beyond the tree is finally Loki himself, being tended to lovingly by his wife Sigyn and brutally by the serpent left by Skadi. Players will have to defeat him in order to win.

Features:

Fully scripted Artificial Intelligence makes the armies more effective and realistic
Players can upgrade their weapons to obtain fire, ice, earth, or light arrows.
Loki is very tricky, and performs all sorts of annoying (and murderous) stunts against the human player including - a brutal ship that smashes into their TC and explodes, a micro-managed raiding plan, economic lock-down on certain resources at certain times, and more!

Where I'm at:
About 45% done with the map design
About 70% done with the AI scripting
About 60% done with the trigger scripting

What I need:
Anyone who is interested in helping! Especially people who are good at eyecandy, since I want this scenario to be aesthetically awesome. Please post here if you want to help.

Also I could use any ideas. Any particular part of Loki's mythology you would like to see featured here? Any fun tricks he could play?

[This message has been edited by ScionOfWar (edited 01-08-2010 @ 11:58 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
CharlieDog
Mortal
posted 09 January 2010 00:40 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
Sounds like a really great idea, Each part seems well put together, I especially like that you're going to make your own AI.

I could help you with any triggers you need and am alright at eyecandy. Send me a message if you need help: Charliedog88@gmail.com
ScionOfWar
Mortal
posted 09 January 2010 02:39 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Alright I sent you the scenario I am having a blast working on this so maybe you will also lol
ScionOfWar
Mortal
posted 14 January 2010 05:32 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Bumping

I wanted to give you guys a progress report

CharlieDog and I have been working on this scenario quite a bit. We've added some more embellishments to make the map look better and it's really starting to come together (mostly CharlieDog did the fantastic work here)

For the AI, I have been working diligently to make it do some fun stuff such as:

• Use transport ships and try to invade your base
  • Raid you and stuff
  • Made Narfi (a wolf and child of Loki) run around and cast traitor on units in his vicinity. Cuz it's fun?
  • Lasers

You guys will enjoy it once I'm done, working right now on Hel and her minions..

[This message has been edited by ScionOfWar (edited 01-14-2010 @ 05:34 AM).]

• Myles_Kennedy
    Mortal
    (id: Jack D P)
    posted 14 January 2010 06:02 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
    I will help with eyecandy if you still want someone to do that.
    JDmino@gmail.com

"I even heard rumors of a return of the SST (hint, hint..)" - Elrich

You heard it folks... Spam him until he makes a new SST thread!
    CharlieDog
    Mortal
    posted 14 January 2010 06:53 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
    Jack knows how to eyecandy. He could do a much better job than me. Anyways, I did a fantastic job?! I didn't think it was that great.
    ScionOfWar
    Mortal
    posted 14 January 2010 07:05 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
    lol I am digging it Any help is appreciated!

Btw can you email me an upgraded version if you did any editing? If not maybe Jack can start on it and I'll continue scripting lol

[This message has been edited by ScionOfWar (edited 01-14-2010 @ 07:05 AM).]

CharlieDog
    Mortal
    posted 14 January 2010 07:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
    Sorry I haven't had time to do any editing, I've been finishing off my map
    THYMOLE
    Mortal
    posted 14 January 2010 08:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
    Troy_Im_No_Noob
    Mortal
    posted 14 January 2010 09:07 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
    Sorry I csn't really help, since I'm just not good yet, but I can still cheer you on from the sideline.

Looks like an awesome scenario and I can't wait until it's released.

1. Perfection is impossible.
    2. Nothing is impossible.
    3. There are always exceptions.
    CharlieDog
    Mortal
    posted 14 January 2010 06:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
    Bout time Charlie
    Inoright
    The map is actually finished, but I've only playtested it on easy and I still want to add more people and houses to steal from.

@Troy I was waiting for someone to say that, that's what I thought when I saw it.
    ScionOfWar
    Mortal
    posted 14 January 2010 07:11 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
    @Charlie - don't worry about it Jack wants to get his hands dirty anyways so this is a good opportunity for him to have a go at it!

@troy - that's perfectly alright, thanks for the support! The scenario will hopefully really come together once I do the next phase of triggers and stuff, I've been downloading trigger packs so I have some fun ones to work with lol

I also found an auto-installer thing, so that will make it easier to unpack this for people downloading it..
    Myles_Kennedy
    Mortal
    (id: Jack D P)
    posted 14 January 2010 07:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
    Scion, a lot of people prefer to install things manually. So put a manual zip and an auto installer just for more preference.

Also, check your email.

"I even heard rumors of a return of the SST (hint, hint..)" - Elrich

You heard it folks... Spam him until he makes a new SST thread!
    ScionOfWar
    Mortal
    posted 16 January 2010 00:36 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
    Alright I replied

Also I agree with you, I'll have an option for people do manually install it since the auto-installer is an executable and many people prefer to just avoid those if possible lol

I was thinking about using custom movies and music for the scenarios too but maybe that's a little extreme haha
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames