You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Horde Onslaught - I made a thing!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Horde Onslaught - I made a thing!
Milkman Matty
Mortal
(id: Khan And Steak)
posted 11 September 2017 07:09 AM EDT (US)         
Hey all, I got bored on the weekend so I made a Random Map Script. I was watching this AoE2 vid and thought to myself I could make this in AoM... as a Random Map Script!

So I did.

Basic Premise
After 4 minutes, enemies spawn continually until you either survive or die. Build a base up and upgrade your buildings/units to survive.

Story
Athena is holding back an evil summoner for eons... but her power to restrain him is almost all gone. As soon as her power runs out the summoner will get out. Once out he and start summoning the horde and becoming stronger.
You must survive for long enough for the evil summoner to overdose on the power that he is gaining - then Athena can lock him away once again.

Map Design
The map design is loosely based on this map. Apparently it's from a book or something? IDK I sure haven't read it. But I did google fantasy map and that's what came up.

Features!
  • Opening cinematic!
  • Waves of enemies get harder! More enemies. different types of enemies and they also get harder to kill
  • A shop mechanic! In a freaking RMS! You can upgrade your buildings by moving a unit to relics in the top corner of the map.
  • Horde player can be an AI or a player.
  • Difficulty of AI affects difficulty of game.
  • Works with Chinese!

Screenshots

Limitations!
  • I DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU PLAY WITH MORE THAN 5 PLAYERS! (probably just crash to desktop).
  • Very, very little testing! THERE WILL BE BUGS!
  • Only tested on AoM:EE.
  • Horde player not tested as a player.
  • Eye candy is super scarce - I was more occupied with created the game functionality then making it look pretty. I'll add more stuff in a later edition (probably).

DOWNLOAD

Mirror

<||=================================||>
    Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
    96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
    { "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

[This message has been edited by Milkman Matty (edited 09-19-2017 @ 03:42 AM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    TAG
    That AoM Guy
    (id: aom expert)
    posted 18 September 2017 09:31 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
    This looks really well done, only wish AoM was a bit easier to get on, right now access is..... negative

But when I get around to playing this I will let you know what I think!

Check out my YouTube
    For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
    nottud
    Mortal
    posted 18 September 2017 10:38 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
    Cool going to give it a play.

Edit: Looks pretty fun though I have found a minor amusing bug which is you can fly to the shop and unload your villager there making it completely safe. The game wise so far seems to work pretty well and was quite fun - about to have another game.

Edit2: Added a review of the game. Hope you find it fair and the suggestions/notes useful. I think with a small amount of tinkering it can be greatly improved.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 09-18-2017 @ 12:12 PM).]

Milkman Matty
    Mortal
    posted 19 September 2017 03:23 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
    Wow, thanks nottud! That review is a lower rating than I was prepared for but I feel it is actually quite fitting. As I said this was a bit of a rush job over a weekend.

You have made some very good suggestions that I did not think of (maybe I've been out of the scenario design game for too long ^_^ haha). I think the AoMH version is a little older than the one on Steam Workshop which has had it's difficulty ramped up on all difficulties but more so on Hard and Titan.

Bosses are a great idea and I will be adding those! The relic selected is also a sweet solution to the change-name bug in RM's so I'll put that in as well. And yeah limiting the heroes is a must - good call.

I've already removed the Rocs, I felt that you could already get to any TC pretty quickly and it removed the shop abuse. Unsure how to get enemy survivor players unable to bolt each other's shop unit - or worse underworld passage/shifting sands up there. Maybe a mother nature monument? I've been out of the AoM map making scene for too long haha.

Anyway thanks for the review - it was a pleasant surprise

nottud
    Mortal
    posted 20 September 2017 02:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
    The main reason for the lower rating was partially because you could win by just creating priests (And later super upgraded towers) which I thought diluted the strategy of the game down and there were a few bugs/exploits and some improvements that could be made. With a few tweaks the rating can go much higher - just let me know if you do some updates and I will re-review.

Shop unit wise just raise the health and make the terrain there an unbuildable one and yes an isis monument should do the trick there.
    Milkman Matty
    Mortal
    posted 21 September 2017 04:29 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
    No need to justify your rating further As I said I 100% agree with you and the points you made

Hopefully I get the time to release the next version of this this weekend.

Milkman Matty
    Mortal
    posted 21 September 2017 07:16 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
    Okay I updated this tonight. I'm really hoping there's no serious bugs because I will not be able to fix them until next week as this weekend is a write off. See download page for changelog details - although there may be other changes that I have forgotten about ^_^'

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames