You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » several random questions about editor
Bottom
Topic Subject:several random questions about editor
funeralpyre88
Mortal
posted 30 June 2018 12:23 PM EDT (US)         
Hi everyone I've been playing AOM since 2003 but I've recently been using the editor a lot more and decided i want to make a long RPG scenario, like children of memories or doom lords.

A few random questions: How big a map do you think is too big? how many units is too many? Is there a limit you would recommend? i want to make it rather long but not so long that it lags endlessly.

What is the difference between yardsticks, victory markers, invisible targets and cinematic blocks? is there a real difference? they all seem similar except yardsticks disappear seconds after you place them. I've been using them for triggers and stuff, but is there a difference?

Also what is the name of the unit that looks like a white cube with a cross on top? I've seen it a lot in rpg scenarios. It reminds me of a victory marker, but i can't find it listed in objects.
AuthorReplies:
Tibzy
Mortal
posted 01 July 2018 02:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
White cube is a reveal to player block
funeralpyre88
Mortal
posted 02 July 2018 00:49 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I see two of them. are "revealer" and "revealer to player" the same thing?
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 02 July 2018 01:14 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
The purpose of the revealer is to give line of sight (LOS) to an area of the map. The revealer will grant LOS of the area to all players regardless of who controls the revealer. The revealer to player will on grant LOS to the player who controls the revealer to player (and their allies). The range of LOS can be modified using the modify prohibit trigger effect (added in the Titans expansion).
nottud
Mortal
posted 08 July 2018 03:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Victory markers prevent a player from being defeated - pretty useful if you want to keep a player alive but with victory conditions enabled.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 07-08-2018 @ 03:06 PM).]

Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 13 July 2018 09:23 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
On the size Childen of Memories is 600x600 iirc, so you could use that as reference. It feels quite big, but also has a lot of water blocking of half the area. So if you don't want that much ocean on a similarly sized feeling you might want to cut it down to 420x420 (half the sqaremeters X_X).

But you might want to decide on how long the game should be. If you are aiming for 1 hour, not only the size but the density and strength of enemies is a factor.

Regarding lag having a lot of projectiles is quite bad for performance. Same goes for the dust/foggy effects. Also loops would be a big issue, so don't use many/fast iterating ones. Mostly you can get around using loops with fire events and give the events some useful conditions to fire upon.

If you are aiming for multiplayer you got to be wary that a lot of conditions/effects are not working on multiplayer (Unit Deploy does not work, it has to be Army Deployment. Or Unit Kill does not work, you got to Damage Percent 100 (or Destroy if you don't want the death anim)). You can test them by going in the LAN mode and put some bots in there. If it works in LAN it should work in multiplayer (except for OOS sensitive stuff, like the "In Player LOS" condition).

I mostly use cinematic blocks which pretty much don't get killed by meteors/lightnings or whatnot. It's nice to learn about victory markers here but on invisible targets & yardsticks I dunno, reading the protox on those doesn't help much.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames