You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Cinematics and the Triggering System
Bottom
Topic Subject:Cinematics and the Triggering System
Rasher
HG Alumnus
(id: Angel Rasher)
posted 18 September 2002 12:18 PM EDT (US)         
Upon inspection of the recently-released Trigger Interface screenshot, I noted that the tab for cinematics is completely seperate from that of triggers. My initial impression was that this implies that the creation of cinematics will be handled using a completely different system then that of the triggers. Does anyone have any idea as to if this may be correct? And if so, what sort of system are you hoping for in regards to the cinematics?

If cinematics are indeed handled seperately from regular triggers, how are they to be incorporated in the grand scheme of the scenario? My guess would be that there is some link between cinematics and the triggers, although how strong of a link I cannot say.

The only cinematics I am used to creating are those in Empire Earth, when to create cinematics one would use the same trigger system as for the rest of the triggers, and to be perfectly, I cannot conceptualize how any other system would work, unless the systems were intricately linked. Does anyone have any ideas or input?

Like I said, I'm just tossing out the impressions that I get from looking at the screenshot, and I could be way off...

The Rasher
rasher@accesswave.com
[IMG]http://www.freeyellow.com/members6/therasher/Thomas.jpg[/IMG]
"You must succeed, to bring the Winds of Light into the age of darkness."
-Old Man, Magnus
AuthorReplies:
David
HG Alumnus
posted 18 September 2002 12:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Seeing how as both triggers, RMS and AI (I think) uses (variants of?) the same scripting language (XS), cinematics are probably as well. That could be a link to the triggers.
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 18 September 2002 01:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
I read in this thread over at the General Discussion, and ES_Scout said ( reply #11) that the cinematics will be created using one of those polygonal boxes. I think that in order to activate those "cinematic blocks," a trigger must be used. (Although, those blocks can work as a trigger themselves )

------------------------------------

Quoted from: ES_Scout: Howdy folks. A lot of good speculations.

The red and blue striped prisms are called Cinematic Blocks. Long ago, in the darkness of early AoM development Designers used these as the target of a Move to Unit trigger (good guess, Sunshine!) because the Cinematic Block object is invisible in the game (good guess Last_Knight! Yes, they are not doodads, Gagylpus ).

Before even that, though, they were called Yardsticks and the Artists used them to check the scale of their art in-game.

Many of the trigger conditions and effects need scenario creators to input sources and targets. This usually involves selecting map points or units. An example: Move to Point and Move to Unit. Both require a source (the unit that will move) and a target (a point on the map or a unit). I use Move to Unit the most because it is easier to edit if you are tweaking your triggers - with a Cinematic Block as your target, you move the Cinematic Block in the Editor instead of changing the target point in the trigger interface. It can be faster if you're making lots of changes.

Another great use of Cinematic Blocks is (you guessed it, Blumenkohl!) spawn points. But not always points and not always just units... There a few ways to create objects with triggers in AoM. Two of them are Unit Create and Change Unit Type. Unit Create creates a unit out of thin air, you specify the type, the location and the heading (in 360 degrees); with Change Unit Type you can place a Cinematic Block and specify what that Block will change into. Again, I'm a fan of Change Unit Type because it is easier to edit - heading and facing can both be changed by moving the Block in the Editor without touching the triggers.

This use of Cinematic Blocks is one of the most fun because you can create some really neat special effects by changing these invisible units into different particle effects. A spectacular example of this is at the end of scenario 20 in the AoM single player campaign.

You guys are really gonna love the Editor. It's very powerful (kudos to our Programmers), fun and makes creating scenarios and cinematics exceedingly satisfying.

I can't wait until you all get your hands on it.

------------------------------------

The reason that the cinematics use those boxes instead of a trigger system, I'm suspecting, is that it's a lot easier to create and edit a cinematic sequence. Also with the boxes, it would be easier to visualize where is camera is, etc. On the other hand, if trigger buttons were used, it would take much more time.

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 09-18-2002 @ 01:52 PM).]

Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 18 September 2002 03:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Well we're just going to have to wait for the game to come out, aren't we?

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
Matei
Mortal
posted 18 September 2002 06:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Did you see the "Change Unit Type"? I'm pretty sure it will work on normal units too .

Perhaps the Cinematics tab is the same as the ones in AoE and AoK, in which you typed messages and chose AVIs to play before and after the game but didn't actually make the in-game cinematics.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
Murph
Mortal
posted 19 September 2002 02:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
I think there are effects included for avis and other movies, but also separate cinematic effects for those like in EE. It would also be quite logical if the cinematic stuff will be included in the triggers (like EE).

Murph aka Rodrigo,
Founder of Dragon Gaming Design
Webmaster of Instrosurf Online
Co-managing director of SurfServer - hosting, web design and scripting
Member of Wildfire Games

[This message has been edited by Murph (edited 09-19-2002 @ 03:37 PM).]

Yehoshua Yisrael
Mortal
posted 19 September 2002 06:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
The change unit type sounds like an interesting effect. Your enemy suddenly changes into an hawk and flies off .
Or you zap him and turn him into a cow .

|Yehoshua Yisraél|152711297|
|Hashém yevarékhet Yisraél|
|SCN Punk| |SWGB Punk|AoM Punk|
|The Color of Justice|Previous Accomplishments|
Fish
Mortal
posted 19 September 2002 06:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
In Aoc most of the time triggers didnt work very well. For ex: to change a units name you had to select him first, not type the name first ( or the opposite).

And you couldnt change units. I once plan jaguars turn in to Jaguar warriors. It didnt work. This time ES says the scenario editor is alot more powerful so we will see.

ESO: Tarion, THoR_Tarion
ES_DeathShrimp
Immortal
posted 20 September 2002 11:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
You just fire normal triggers to make cinematics. The only thing that makes it a cinematic is locking out the ability for the player to give orders. You set up camera tracks to show what the player will see. Cinematic Blocks are objects that players don't interact with and can't be seen in the main game. They are useful for leaving notes to yourself, such as where units will end up during a cinematic. You can use them with triggers such as changing unit type or moving units to objects as well.
Tevious
Mortal
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
posted 20 September 2002 12:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Hmm, doesn't it also make high-poly models of everyone too?

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
|| ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
Tartarus
Mortal
posted 20 September 2002 02:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
My idea of the perfect cinematic/trigger relationship:

My idea of the perfect cinematic system would be sort of a timeline idea. Anybody that has worked with Flash would know what I mean. This way you can have more direct control over things like sequencing or synchronizing. As well, you should be able to save the timelines individually, such as: {{ Timeline 1 : Attack Cam. ROTATE AROUND BATTLESCENE. Duration : 50 seconds }}. And then, as Cinematic sequences are constructed, they become available in the trigger system.

So, you can have CONDITION : Battle Starts (or however the designer chooses to do this) EFFECT : Start Cinematic {{Attack Cam}}.

Mind you, I purely devising this system off a hypothetical editor. If ES has not done it this way, I realize there is no chance of including. But, I hope the AOM system is somewhat like this, and ideally at least for me, it would be.

[This message has been edited by Tartarus (edited 09-20-2002 @ 02:58 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames