You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Halls of Valhalla
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, Elrich

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Halls of Valhalla » Funeral thread for Pubby8
Bottom
Topic Subject:Funeral thread for Pubby8
Brightpup
Immortal
(id: ChaosRobie)
posted 15 August 2017 04:59 PM EDT (US)         
RIP Pubby8

After a protracted battle with anal cancer, Patrick "Pubby8" Hitler-Smith died on July 12, 2017 at the age of 21.

Who was Pubby?
  • Pubby was active in the Age of Mythology community from 2007 to 2013

• He created Image 2 Scenerio, which could convert images (including height maps) into AoM maps (Link)

• He was a moderately competitive Ra player

• He played semi-regularly in The Vandhaal's blood sport/weekly matches back in 2007-2009

• He was active in the software engineering Stack Exchange community, one of the top 7% contributors.(link to profile)

• He was active in the competitive Dominion scene (See this)

• He was competitively active in Pokémon Showdown

• He submitted Lunar Limit to Ludum Dare 38

• Pubby introduced everyone on this forum to Minecraft (In 2009, way way before Minecraft became the second best selling video game of all time)

• He was active in that early early Minecraft community, in particular developing an isometric timelapse recorder program (Link)

• He ran a Youtube channel that showed off his work, but could be described as "experimental" at times

• Pubby who was instrumental in getting the Formicids into Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Originally he called them "dwants" - dwarf ants.

My Relationship with Pubby
I remember the moment I first met Pubby. Someone had given him my username on ESO and he kept spamming be through private chat. I think this summer of 2008, maybe.

Pubby was instrumental in introducing me to, as well as teaching me to play Dwarf Fortress.

Last year, during a drive back to my parents house, I stopped by where Pubby lived. We went to a train museum and took this picture:

Pubby is on the left, I'm on the right (censored myself a little).

Pubby and I have been communicating through IRC for a while, here is a plot of the cosine similarity between consecutive turns in our conversation:

It only shows from Jan 2014 until June 2017 though. The blue line of best fit is slightly increasing, showing that our conversations were becoming more and more in-tune as time went by.

Before he passed away, our last conversation was about philosophy:
(6:17:33 PM) buppy: you know how so much of philosophy shit is based on what old dead guys said
(6:19:37 PM) Brighty: :O but it's really not
(6:19:52 PM) Brighty: logic, epistemology, ethics, philosophy of X (where X can anything, like language), ontology
(6:20:34 PM) buppy: sounds dum
(6:20:36 PM) Brighty: old dead guys are just as relevent as, uhh, like isaac newton is in calculus :O
(6:21:04 PM) Brighty: you dont even study what they actually contributed :O
(6:21:10 PM) buppy: but do you know how much my cousin talks about what old dead guys said
(6:21:19 PM) Brighty: he must be an idiot, whats he actually study, metaphysics lel
(6:21:25 PM) buppy: he is, but imagine if those old dead guys time traveled to today
(6:21:40 PM) Brighty: ok
(6:21:42 PM) buppy: do you think they'd give a shit about modern philosophy
(6:21:49 PM) Brighty: yeah
(6:21:50 PM) buppy: or would they be way more interested in modern science and tech shit
(6:21:56 PM) Brighty: :O i dont think you understand philosophy, typical reddit answer >>>/reddit/
(6:22:11 PM) buppy: O: I dont want to understand it
(6:22:25 PM) Brighty: ok
(6:22:28 PM) buppy: nobody likes people who talk like that hint hint
(6:22:42 PM) Brighty: just know that formal logic is part of philosophy and is used in computer science and math
(6:22:53 PM) buppy: formal logic is math
(6:22:58 PM) Brighty: lel if you say so

Anyway, that's all I have to share. You will be missed my friend.

Note: This thread is semi-serious. The last time I spoke with Pubby was more than a month ago, which is very unusual. Death is a possibility. 90% of this post is actually true.

[This message has been edited by Brightpup (edited 08-15-2017 @ 05:52 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 16 August 2017 03:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
He was a level 7 pain in the ass, and it wouldn't surprise me if he faked his death just to read the comments in this thread.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
pBiggZ
Mortal
(id: P_J_B)
posted 26 August 2017 07:11 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Pubby8 is best Pubby.

"I NED MOAR RANGE" Pubby8
Yeebaagooon
EXCO Emeritus
posted 27 August 2017 12:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
The pepe would be proud.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"I saw the picture and became immediately worried about Yeeb seducing and buying out Zen" - Shanks13
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto 5.0|Multiplayer: Minigames X 4.7|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
Nanodude
Mortal
(id: geodude)
posted 01 September 2017 09:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
I miss pubby

<3
Peter Fallon
Mortal
(id: Xzyiothe)
posted 15 September 2017 02:43 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
miss you pubby & all the nonsense you spoke on MSN back in the day

☭ Long live the Turk ☭
"Xzy is the worst parts of kman and legion combined, only with proper spelling so you know he's smart enough to act otherwise if he wasn't such an idiot." - theferret
"Xzy is like all of the terrible Guardian contributors rolled into one person. Proof that you can genetically engineer a humanoid abomination." - Fiindil
Yeebaagooon
EXCO Emeritus
posted 16 September 2017 04:01 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Remember when we did that train game online?
Good times.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"I saw the picture and became immediately worried about Yeeb seducing and buying out Zen" - Shanks13
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto 5.0|Multiplayer: Minigames X 4.7|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 26 October 2017 01:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
I'm really late here, but I miss pubby

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames