You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Oh please, could someone script 'Coastal' RM?!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Oh please, could someone script 'Coastal' RM?!
Ogma
Mortal
posted 14 January 2003 03:06 AM EDT (US)         
Now wouldn't I be glad if someone could script a random map type that would be generated really different each time. The unknown RM is too predictable, why can't there be something like 'coastal' is in AoE. You know, I'd die for a broken shoreline.

Only 'Nomad' offers the true unknown, and then the AI can't handle it..

AuthorReplies:
ToXiC TaNK
Mortal
posted 14 January 2003 05:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
I dont know what coastal is in AoE but it sounds like a land mass in the center surrounded my water(basicly a big island) and if I am right that is exactly what Mingard(sp?) that snowy map is like.

What I just said is a lie.
Pascal9872
Mortal
posted 14 January 2003 12:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
that would be quite easy to do actually, perhaps I will do that with my next script, whenever that is.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.
Error403
Mortal
posted 14 January 2003 03:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Yeah I kinda hoped for more maps... i mean don't get my wrong, the ones right now are very nice, but I miss maps like Gold Rush.
Celois
Mortal
posted 14 January 2003 03:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Hmm. Isn't Midgard like costal?
GoForGoldenJarls
Mortal
posted 14 January 2003 07:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
your thinking of continental. i think coastal was a big thing like midgard but only water on 2/3 sides?

a map with underworld continental would be awesome, and Elysian Fields!

einstein146
Mortal
posted 14 January 2003 10:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
I recall coastal as beign about 1/2 and 1/2 land/water, giving you a nice balance to play on. Unless I'm wrong Coastal usually had large islands connected by shallows (is it just me or does AOM RMs never produce shallows). This meant that you could choose to defend your island (or attack like heck), walling off the choke points or decide to go for an assault by sea...
Ogma
Mortal
posted 15 January 2003 04:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Coastal was about 1/3 water I think. But my main point is that random maps in AoM never really seem random, if you know what I mean. They're often too symmetrical and they seem to give players too much of equal geographic conditions, and I think that in a way reduces the possibilities/options for a game's development.

I really liked AoE where you could start on a really bad spot on the map compared to where other players started. Ah you cursed your bad luck, sure, but if you could swing it around.. ooh, the satisfaction!

And as I said earlier, the only map that comes close to this in AoM is Nomad. Maybe someone could script a Nomad but with settlemets? (hmm, maybe that exists already..)

Pascal9872
Mortal
posted 15 January 2003 11:36 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I'll look at this over the weekend, the one with shallows connecting you and your opponents was called highlands I believe. If my memory serves me wasn't continental the one with 3 sides facing water and 1 side going to the edge of the map?

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.
Ogma
Mortal
posted 16 January 2003 09:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Pascal.. You can see what I mean by coastal in this image
http://sarkone.zapto.org/coastal.gif

I'd owe you big time if you'd script it!!

ES_DeathShrimp
Immortal
posted 16 January 2003 11:07 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
Coastal-style maps get a lot of dings because the placement of water can make them inherently unfair. Someone usually gets all the water (and fish) and someone else gets a safe back wall where nobody can transport around them. You'd think those two things would cancel each other out, but players get upset at even the slightest imbalance.

For those of you who like more randomness, I applaud you, and you should be able to make something similar to coastal using Sea of Worms (it has an ocean only on one side) as a template.

Pascal9872
Mortal
posted 16 January 2003 12:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Ogma, that is what I thought you were talking about.
Thanks Deathshrimp; however, I prefer to build my maps up from scratch: seems I learn more that way.

I guess you could fix that by doing some type of line placement instead of circular placement. Actually with the AOM scripting power you can make sure everyone starts close to water using circular placement with a restricted arc (for the part of land that is touching the edge).

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
A monk I need a monk.

[This message has been edited by Pascal9872 (edited 01-16-2003 @ 12:10 PM).]

Woadie
Mortal
(id: WoadRaider)
posted 18 January 2003 04:20 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
am I the only noob who misses good ole islands???

Woadie: Sarcastic Commie b@$t@rd
Shameless blog plug!
Matei
Mortal
posted 18 January 2003 10:40 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
I also miss Islands, it was a common map type and I believe it should be one of the Quick Start maps under Random to add a bit more variety to the game.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames