You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » I need an Auto-installer
Bottom
Topic Subject:I need an Auto-installer
Esus_
Mortal
posted 12 March 2004 02:48 PM EDT (US)         
A certain mod of mine is ready for release, but it contains a very large amount of files so it needs an installer, preferably just one .exe so people can install it easily.

Any auto-installer thngy you can direct me to/give me will be greatly appreciated, along with something that I can read which shows me where to define what files install to which folder.

Come back strong like the powered-up pacman.
AuthorReplies:
oddy
Mortal
posted 12 March 2004 03:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Try clickteam.com (Install Creator). To get the right files in the right folders, I usually simulate the folder structure in an other map and use that one for the installer.

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.

[This message has been edited by oddy (edited 03-12-2004 @ 03:12 PM).]

coolsk8r32again
Mortal
posted 12 March 2004 03:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
here's how i do it: (when you've downloaded the trial version of install creator pro)

make a folder called "Installer Data." Make a folder inside that one called data, anim, sound, or whatever folders you need. make sure the folder names match the aom folder's names. it works just like that. then put your files in the right folders (or make some subfolders) and when you're making the auto-installer, just select the folder "Installer Data" as the one you're using. and make sure to check "include subdirectories"

FlipBizcut
Mortal
posted 12 March 2004 05:29 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
What is the advarage compression of a Self Installer? or what I mean is. Does it compress better then a zip or rar formats? Reason I am asking is I am working on a mod that so far takes a little over 13 MB. Even when I run it in a zip, it still advarages around 7.8 MB. By the time I am done it will be well over 8MB ziped up and AoMH only allows under 8MB. Unfortunatly Sounds take up alot of space.

£¿ïþß첩û £¤® ~ ¿ïØûîÐ £í® §üÐ줧
Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.
coolsk8r32again
Mortal
posted 12 March 2004 10:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
that sounds really weird that when you EXEd it it came out to be about half the original size... normally when i zip up and exe mods, they're only AT MAX 4 MB less...
FlipBizcut
Mortal
posted 12 March 2004 11:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
I checked properties on the folder for the whole mod and currently its 14.1 MB. When I zip it up now it is 8.67 MB. Not doing nothing special. Using WinRar to compress into zip format. What I was wondering is. Does putting it into a installer exe compress it any? Which It wont really matter because Im gonna use a installer anyways. Seems that is what everyone is wanting any more.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ

[This message has been edited by FlipBizcut (edited 03-13-2004 @ 00:11 AM).]

coolsk8r32again
Mortal
posted 13 March 2004 06:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
well, there are options on install creator pro for compressing, and you CAN compress it, but it doesn't do that much good... and does compressing it into a .rar file help a lot?
FlipBizcut
Mortal
posted 13 March 2004 08:32 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Well compairing the two the rar compresses a hell of a lot more. My current mod is 14.1MB. I ran both versions to see the diff and there is a Big difference.

rar format compressed: 6.62MB

zip format compressed: 8.67MB

Downside is a whole lot of people use only WinZip rather then WinRar. Oddly enough WinRar supports both Rar. and Zip. formats. Seems to me more people would use WinRar.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
coolsk8r32again
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 11:26 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
that's weird... i don't normally use winrar to create ZIPs, does that make the difference?

EDIT:: I used the program that came with my comp. to make ZIPs... maybe i should use winrar instead?

[This message has been edited by coolsk8r32again (edited 03-14-2004 @ 11:26 AM).]

FlipBizcut
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 07:55 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I am using version 3.30. Wouldnt trade it for anything else. Works almost just like WinZip but with more options.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
coolsk8r32again
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 00:20 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
me too, i have the full version of 3.3...

guess i'll start using winrar for ZIPs now...!

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames