You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » creating godpowers question...
Bottom
Topic Subject:creating godpowers question...
oranos9
Mortal
posted 18 September 2006 07:56 PM EDT (US)         
Hello, all! I just got an account here, but I am very familiar with AoMH. I download most stuff i have for AoM here. I am familiar with most of the forumers and stuff, but anyway, on to my question...

I want to create a godpower but I don't know if it overwrites the base godpower. Nowhere i looked here was clear about it.

AuthorReplies:
Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 18 September 2006 09:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
It is possible to create your own godpower, without overriding an existing one, but it is a little tricky. You'll also need to edit the games technologies if you want the godpower to be available in-game under a certain god. Note that while it is possible to create a new godpower, it is not possible to create a new major/minor god, so you'd have to have your new godpower override one already provided by an existing god (even though the godpower itself is not being replaced).
Orc Master
Mortal
posted 19 September 2006 09:36 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Yeah. To make a new godpower that doesn't override an existing one I think you only have to copy the godpower that's more similar to your idea, then paste it and rename it. Then, you do what Magnum Pi said.

STAR WARS

EMERGENCE OF DARKNESS

MODPACK

=================
pik001
Banned
posted 19 September 2006 01:48 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
OR you can make it given through triggers!
Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 19 September 2006 02:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
I'm pretty sure you still need a techtree entry in order to grant the power with triggers, (which itself would require a custom scenario/RMS) because they look for the power based on the technology for it. Though I may be wrong, so someone could go ahead and test this themselves to be sure.
oranos9
Mortal
posted 19 September 2006 04:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
i just want to put it in a few scenarios, so ill try without the putting it in the techtree. just to see.]

EDIT: Because i cant double post ill ask a question here.

xLpx's guide says "now click on direct conversion and convert the techtree.xmb file into techtree.xml file,then do the same thing for the godpowers.bar open the file using notepad." But .bar files are unreadible and i cant convert .bar to anything. what do i do?

[This message has been edited by Oranos9 (edited 09-19-2006 @ 05:40 PM).]

Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 08:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
Just for future reference, it is acceptable to double post only if you have something meaningful to say (a serious question would qualify) and you want to bump up the thread to grab someone's attention. But otherwise, yes, don't double-post.

To your question on the .bar files: It's true that you can't convert a .bar to anything, but using AoM-Ed, you can use the "set data input file" option, and then select godpowers2.bar (or any other AoM .bar file) and then click "read data file" and wait for the little black and green window to finish.

What it is doing is making a copy of every file inside the bar file (usually these are .xmb's) and placing the copies in your "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Mythology/godpowers" folder. You can then use AoM-Ed again to convert the .xmb of the godpower most similar to what you want to create, to an .xml, which can then be edited with Notepad/Wordpad.

Once you have the .xml file you want, you may delete all the other .xmb's that were created. Modify the .xml to your liking, be sure to give it your own name and make a techtree entry for it, then use AoM-Ed to convert it back to .xmb and delete the .xml. Then you should be good. (It is strange but modifying or adding files that would be placed in your "C:/Program Files/.../Age of Mythology/godpowers" folder require that you convert the file to an xmb and delete the xml. Other folders with .xml files do not require you to do this.)

oranos9
Mortal
posted 24 September 2006 07:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Great, thanks so much! One more thing, where do i paste the stuff i copied to make a new gp, not overwrite an old one?

[This message has been edited by Oranos9 (edited 09-24-2006 @ 07:48 AM).]

Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 24 September 2006 04:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
You also need to have a techtreex entry for your godpower. In the xml for your godpower (before you converted it to an xmb) there should have been a line called techname="...">. I hope you changed the name here into something different, something new and unique, because that is the name that the game will be looking in techtreex for.

Suppose your godpower's techname is "New GP". The means in techtreex you'd have to add a new tech that would look like this (without the extra periods):

<.tech name="New GP" type="Power">
<.dbid>X<./dbid>
<.displaynameid>*String holding name of new gp in the xpacklanguage.dll*<./displaynameid>
<.researchpoints>0.1<./researchpoints>
<.status>UNOBTAINABLE<./status>
<.icon>*You're choice*<./icon>
<.rollovertextid>*String holding description of new gp in xpacklanguage.dll*<./rollovertextid>
<./tech>

And that's just be sure the GP will be registered, in order to have a certain major/minor god give you the GP, you'd need to find the techtree stat for the god (I.e. "Age 3 Skadi", "Age 1 Kronos", "Age 4 Hel", etc.) and add this line (without the extra periods):

<.effect tech="New GP" type="Data" amount="1" subtype="GrantedTech" relativity="*Absolute or Assign*">
<.target type="Player"><./target>
<./effect>

And delete the line the god already has that grants them thier default godpower, unless you want that god to give 2 different powers. And then that's it. You will have created and enabled your own godpower!

oranos9
Mortal
posted 26 September 2006 04:07 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
wow, thx.
i guess ill try to copy the folder the godpower is in and edit that, like if i wanted to make "New GP" Based on Chicken Storm, I could copy Chicken storm.xml and edit the copied one. then convert it back to xmb.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames