You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Making Units Bigger. (Not sure if this is the right forum, tell me if it isn't)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Making Units Bigger. (Not sure if this is the right forum, tell me if it isn't)
Rompa125
Mortal
posted 21 September 2006 07:52 PM EDT (US)         
I was wondering how you make units/buildings bigger if anyone can help.
AuthorReplies:
MagmaLord
Mortal
(id: darkdude)
posted 21 September 2006 08:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
Do you know how to use the editor? You can place units and hold K to enlarge or Shift + K to shrink. This only works for Titans Expansion though.

Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 21 September 2006 08:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Well, if you are talking about modding the units to be bigger, than this is possible if you had a viable program(i.e. Gmax) that can enlarge a units model, making it bigger.

If you are talking about in the scenario editor, then this should be in the SD forum, but the answer is simply to click on the unit and hold down "k" while selected to make the unit grow, and "Shift+K" to make the unit shrink.

Rompa125
Mortal
posted 21 September 2006 11:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
Ok thanks...one more thing.... is there a way i can make the carnivora plant stronger? It dosent appear in modify protounit...unless its under a different name?
PrplPplEater
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 00:04 AM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
I don't think you can...you can always mod a new one. You are, after all, in the modding forum.
Rompa125
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 03:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Right...Well i cant really mod myself =S lol
PrplPplEater
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 06:11 AM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
It'd actually be a REALLY easy mod. Just a quick proto edit would do it.
Rompa125
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 07:17 AM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
would you be able to tell me how to do it, or do it for me?
after all, the only thing i wanna make is a new unit exactly the same as the carnivora..but stronger.. it would be great if you could tell me how i can make its special attack (the eating them one)affect heroes & myth units

It'd be gr8 if you can help me. I'd have no idea what to do. tutorial or no tutorial. =S

ps: sorry about my typing. i just broke my wrist lol..

[This message has been edited by Rompa125 (edited 09-22-2006 @ 07:21 AM).]

PrplPplEater
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 07:20 AM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
Is that a Titans unit? I have vanilla. But yeah I'd be happy to do it for you. Tomorrow though. I'm way too tired right now.
Rompa125
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 07:22 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
What? vanilla? =S what are you on about?

I'm trying to make like a mother carnivora lol...thats why i wanted to know how to make em bigger... and stronger...Damn wrist..cant type very fast now lol

You said Titan unit...hmmm..a giant carnivora titan.. cool.
If you make it a Titan i'd also need to know how to make it so other players cant see that titans LOS

One other thing....You can make it for me...but then you'd have to send me the file and whatever.....there would be something that has to be written in the protox thing wouldnt there...
I've had bad experiences with that protox. Would it be possible for you to put it in a auto installer thing, if you know what im talking about

[This message has been edited by Rompa125 (edited 09-22-2006 @ 07:34 AM).]

Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 03:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
Most Atlantean units go by different names in the data than what acually appears in game. The canivora, for example, is called "Audrey" or "Audrey Water". if you try to modify proto unit, search for that.

Btw, "Vanilla" is the term used to describe original AoM without the Titans Expansion. Where as "Chocolate" is the term used to describe AoM with TT. And lastly, I don't know if this has fully caught on yet, but supposedly "Strawberry" is used to describe the Gold Edition (AoM and TT combined), just remember those for future referance as they are used all throughout AoMH.

Quote:

If you make it a Titan i'd also need to know how to make it so other players cant see that titans LOS

One other thing....You can make it for me...but then you'd have to send me the file and whatever.....there would be something that has to be written in the protox thing wouldnt there...

Yes, there would have to be something in the protox, you'd have to find the entry for "Titan Atlantean" (that's what the game's buildable Titan unit is called, not just for atties, but for all cultures). And then remove the flag:

<flag>GivesLOSToAll</flag>
from its proto stats.

Quote:

I've had bad experiences with that protox. Would it be possible for you to put it in a auto installer thing, if you know what im talking about

What sort of trouble? As long as you have the game installed, then there shouldn't be any problems. Did you remember to put the file in the correct folder and delete any .xmb files with the same name as the .xml that were already present in that folder? Those seem to be the most common problems with mod installations.

MagmaLord
Mortal
(id: darkdude)
posted 22 September 2006 04:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       
How ever I do not suggest useing mods for simple stuff you can do with the editor. You may use modify proto unit to eliminate the LOS of the Titan and then put a invisible unit with a looped follow trigger to give the Titan LOS.

Rompa125
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 07:42 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
So the carnivora is named audrey in the modify protounit.

But one question remains...how can i make its special attack affect CERTAIN heroes and all myth units (I'd rather it won't affect Kastor Adult)

You know what would be awesome? If it could use its special on Titan's as well. =P

Edit: What sort of trouble? As long as you have the game installed, then there shouldn't be any problems. Did you remember to put the file in the correct folder and delete any .xmb files with the same name as the .xml that were already present in that folder? Those seem to be the most common problems with mod installations.

So i have to delete protox.XMB?

And trouble by, when i try to download new units theres always something that has to go in between the unit line and the proto line. When i try to put that in i cant. It's as if the Protox.xml file is read-only

PS: So Age of Mythology is available at Mr Whippy? =P

[This message has been edited by Rompa125 (edited 09-22-2006 @ 07:51 PM).]

Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 08:29 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       

Quote:

So the carnivora is named audrey in the modify protounit.

Yup.

Quote:

But one question remains...how can i make its special attack affect CERTAIN heroes and all myth units (I'd rather it won't affect Kastor Adult)

This would require modding, a modify proto unit trigger won't work. The "Audrey" in protox has an action called "Throw". Allow with several other parametres, (or "param name="s) one is called "Rate", which determines what the action in question can be used against. A value1 of "1" or higher, means the action can be used against the unit or unit type put in the type= stat, a value1 of "0" means it cannot. So what you'd want is to have one line that says:

<param name="Rate" type="Hero" value1="1"></param>

which would enable this action against all the units that have "<.unittype>Hero<./unittype>" (without the periods) in their proto stats. But you can add another rate with a unit's name as its "type=" and then set value1 to "0", which would disable the attack against that specific unit. (I'll use Kastor Adult as an example) so add this as well:

<param name="Rate" type="Kastor Adult" value1="0"></param>

You can have as many "Rate"s as you want, which will give you full control over what units your unit can or cannot attack.

Quote:

So i have to delete protox.XMB?

If there was already one in your folder, then yes, delete it. You will also need to delete it if you have loaded the game, and if you exited and are trying to edit the protox.xml again. (Every time you load the game, the game creates a new .xmb file, which you will have to delete if you later want to change the .xml in any way.)

Quote:

And trouble by, when i try to download new units theres always something that has to go in between the unit line and the proto line. When i try to put that in i cant. It's as if the protox.xml file is read-only.

That's strange, that only happened to me in AoE3. But if you are recieving an error message when trying to save changes to your protox.xml, saying that it is read only, then try right-clicking on the protox.xml files, select "properties" on the pop-up window, and then a new small screen should come up shortly. Uncheck the little box that says "Read only" then click "Apply" and "OK" in that order, then try saving your changes again.

[This message has been edited by Magnum Pi (edited 09-22-2006 @ 08:34 PM).]

Rompa125
Mortal
posted 22 September 2006 10:49 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
Actually thats not what i meant by read only. It's actually more like a web page. You can't delete or add things in a web page, or save it. I hope you know what i mean

[This message has been edited by Rompa125 (edited 09-22-2006 @ 10:52 PM).]

Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 23 September 2006 00:28 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
Oh, I see what you're problem is now, you need to go to its properties and change the default program it opens with from "Internet Explorer" to Notepad/Wordpad, then click "Apply" and "OK". Once its opened with Notepad/Wordpad, you can edit to your hearts desire.

[This message has been edited by Magnum Pi (edited 09-23-2006 @ 00:30 AM).]

Rompa125
Mortal
posted 23 September 2006 02:07 AM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Yeah alright
Rompa125
Mortal
posted 26 September 2006 06:47 AM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
This would require modding, a modify proto unit trigger won't work. The "Audrey" in protox has an action called "Throw". Allow with several other parametres, (or "param name="s) one is called "Rate", which determines what the action in question can be used against. A value1 of "1" or higher, means the action can be used against the unit or unit type put in the type= stat, a value1 of "0" means it cannot. So what you'd want is to have one line that says:

which would enable this action against all the units that have "<.unittype>Hero<./unittype>" (without the periods) in their proto stats. But you can add another rate with a unit's name as its "type=" and then set value1 to "0", which would disable the attack against that specific unit. (I'll use Kastor Adult as an example) so add this as well:

You can have as many "Rate"s as you want, which will give you full control over what units your unit can or cannot attack.

Erm..... This might be where i need help.
I need to make a new carnivora unit that can do this.. cause i dont want all of the carnivoras owning my heros =P

Little help PrplPplEater? Or anyone?

I cannot mod no matter how hard i try...seriously i suck. I dont mean to sound like a lazy person lol

-----------------------------------------------------------
If there was already one in your folder, then yes, delete it. You will also need to delete it if you have loaded the game, and if you exited and are trying to edit the protox.xml again. (Every time you load the game, the game creates a new .xmb file, which you will have to delete if you later want to change the .xml in any way.)

That sucks..Why is it that the game makes a new one when you load the game?

[This message has been edited by Rompa125 (edited 09-26-2006 @ 06:52 AM).]

Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 26 September 2006 03:09 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       

Quote:

Erm..... This might be where i need help.
I need to make a new carnivora unit that can do this.. cause i dont want all of the carnivoras owning my heros =P

Creating new units is not too hard. There is a guide in the modding articals section that explains this, just remember to give your new unit a different name and unit id than the other units in the proto.xml. And change the dbid to "X". (You can also have different units to have the same displayed name while in-game, which you may want to do.)

Quote:

I cannot mod no matter how hard i try...seriously i suck. I dont mean to sound like a lazy person lol

It takes time and effort to get good at it, but anyone can do it, and once you know what you're doing, it's easy.

Quote:

That sucks..Why is it that the game makes a new one when you load the game?

This is because the game cannot read the data off of an xml file, only an xmb, but it can convert xml's to xmb's. Acually, this is the reason the game will load so much slower during the "Loading game database" phase if you have unconverted xml's. The game must convert all your xml's to xmb's.

If you want the game to load extra quickly, you can convert any xml's to xmb's yourself using AoM-Ed. This will take longer than to load the game if your xml's are large, but the files will be extra-compressed than they usually would be, and the game will load extra quickly.

The fact that the game only reads xmb's is also the reason why you must delete the corrosponding xmb for the xml you wish to edit (i.e. if you edit protox.xml and you want your changes to take effect, you must delete protox.xmb) because if the game finds an xmb file, it will use that and ignore the xml.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames