Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Editing the .exe
Bottom
Topic Subject:Editing the .exe
CodeRed175
Mortal
posted 03 October 2006 08:13 PM EDT (US)         
This is a highly-talked about subject. To my knowledge, there is only one guide, but's it's a rip-off of a Wikipedia explanation. In order to edit the .exe, what kind of software do you need? I don't know, and there's others who want to know. How do you learn to read the code and find what you want to edit?etc, etc. The point is, how DO you edit it to change the very limitations, such as more gods, more population, more cheats? If there is a way how to do all this, I would be happy. So what are they?

Modder For Purple Design Studios
"Religion is hate. Religion is fear. Religion is war. Religion is rape. Religion's obscene. Religion's a w***e."-Slayer
AuthorReplies:
Magnum Pi
Mortal
posted 03 October 2006 11:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
A hex editor wopuld probably work well, because it displays ALL the characters, but as for acually being able to edit the values without screwing up the exe, that's were we run into problems. To my knowledge, every program's exe can store its "hard-coded" info in a slightly different ways and locations, so short of developing the game yourself, you stand very little chance of acually getting these things done . But I share your interest, I would love to edit the Selection and major/minor god/civ. limit, I just doubt can be done by us.

Although, I've seen certain codes in the exe (with a hex editor) that seem to simply exist and are not defined (i.e. the aoe3.exe has a line "SelectionLimit" but it gives no value) so it's also possible that this info is stored somewhere else and could be changed, or maybe it's just somewhere else in the exe, so possibly you cannot. And, don't forget, that in legal organizations such as HG, editing the executable could be controversial because it could be veiwed as an infringement (sp?) of copy-write protection policies.

[This message has been edited by Magnum Pi (edited 10-03-2006 @ 11:08 PM).]

CodeRed175
Mortal
posted 04 October 2006 01:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
one thing is for sure though. It wouldn't break the license agreement. It says you can distribute edited files, as long as they are free. It dosen't say you can't edit files either, so it's perfectly legal. Just near impossible.

Modder For Purple Design Studios
"Religion is hate. Religion is fear. Religion is war. Religion is rape. Religion's obscene. Religion's a w***e."-Slayer
Tombit
Mortal
posted 04 October 2006 09:48 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Perhaps ES would help out? I'm sure they have a few guides and information lying around, and if they care enough, they might just give all of it to us.

PrplPplEater
Mortal
posted 05 October 2006 03:20 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Doubt it. ES probably has a program that generates that crap for them. They're not going to tell us what that is or how to turn the EXE back into an understandable file of this program.
Argalius
Mortal
posted 05 October 2006 01:41 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
IIRC it impossible to reverse a compiled file to its original state. They're compressed so much and on such a complicated way that you can't reverse it. You might be able to do a little bit with a Hex Editor, but I doubt it will be anything significantly.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
Ykkrosh
Mortal
posted 05 October 2006 06:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
First, spend a while (possibly years) learning and writing programs in C++ until you understand how things work at a low level, and until you can run your programs in the debugger's disassembly view and understand what's going on. And then just open the game's .exe in a good disassembler, and spend a long time trying to understand how all their code fits together, and then probably give up because the things you want to find are too tiny and obscure and spread around lots of places and you'll never find them all . (My BAR-loading .exe mod was easier since it's replacing code with lots of recognisable function calls and strings, rather than just a single number somewhere among a million others.)

[This message has been edited by Ykkrosh (edited 10-05-2006 @ 06:24 PM).]

Rabid_Potatoe
Mortal
posted 14 October 2006 07:59 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
maybe in about a decade they'll release the source code.

Rabid Potatoe Is The Win.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames