You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Is modding dying out???
Bottom
Topic Subject:Is modding dying out???
newb27
Mortal
posted 03 September 2007 10:06 AM EDT (US)         
Lately, I've noticed a serious decrease in modding projects being released : ( It's horrible! I've been like the only one releasing lately and I like having competition(just not competition like the Legionarius because I'll lose every time) So come on you modders, release some more stuff! Dragonu, do you have a unit your working on? MythicRuler? Anyone??? Post what you think!
AuthorReplies:
MythicRuler
Mortal
posted 03 September 2007 12:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
Sadly, Modding is dying, slowly but surely. With new rts' coming out, many people are leaving to go play with those. After a while, they will get bored and come back to aom. I have a ton of mods from years ago I never released because, well, I rate them a 2 in my mind...they aren't good. But the xin dynasty is slowly but surely starting to be made.

Check out all of the mods I made here
Darth Balor
Mortal
posted 03 September 2007 01:53 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
*Takes Machine Gun and shoots both of you in the brains*

No modding is not dying, many teams have secret modding projects that will be announced and released soon. Some modding projects are actually going to be more than one or two new units. Don't ever say modding is dying, the reason scenario designing for AoE3 isn't doing so well is because of that mindset, they got a editor not quite as good as our and called it crap, saying it would never create anything right. It is because of this that new designers don't try to work with it. Please don't use the Word of Forums to spread your personal beliefs that Modding is dying. Instead encourage the community and work on your own projects.

I am AgeofKnights, my orginal account was accidently deleted from the HG server, Vorpal Designs has shut down so I'm here as Darth Balor, If a mod/admin can change my name to AoK, or something like my orginal name I would appreciate it.
newb27
Mortal
posted 03 September 2007 03:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
Ok, Darth Balor, I'm talking about Single Unit modding. Scenario design is still at a steady rate of input. No offense, its just that those modders that I used to enjoy looking at their mods have pretty much stopped :<>...

MythicRuler:
I hope your correct that others will soon get bored with other RTS's (like I have ) and come back, it'd be great to see aom come back to the top.
Sir Dundo
Mortal
posted 03 September 2007 03:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
Yes, everything dies eventually.. It's safe to say that Modding isn't exactly growing, and if it's not growing, it's declining.

So in a word, Modding is dying.

~V.

|/\|
/\_/_/_/Sir Dundo\_\_\_/\
|Winner of Botolf's Best Idea Award|
|Proud Leader of Modsmith Studios|
\_/†―――――†―――――†\_/
|\______/\--/\--/\______/|
\...Supreme Commander Heaven.../
nottud
Hero
posted 03 September 2007 04:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
I would mod units myself but others online would not see it.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
Sir Dundo
Mortal
posted 03 September 2007 04:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
Unless they have the mod too, of course.

~V.

|/\|
\_/†―――――†―――――†\_/

[This message has been edited by Sir Dundo (edited 09-03-2007 @ 04:38 PM).]

Dragonu
Mortal
posted 03 September 2007 04:57 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
I just released the Sioux modpack beta :P full version will be done in a couple of days thanks to petar who helps me

texture artist for PurpleDesignStudios

98% OF TEENS WON'T STAND UP FOR GOD...
REPOST THIS iF YOU'RE ONE OF THE 2% WHO WILL.
[img]http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07373/Dragonu_Sasuke_UB.gif[/img]
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 03 September 2007 05:01 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
Hmm, I've been here for 5 years and I think this is one of the most active period for modding.

It was never that big to begin with, now everyone has AoM and can run it, everyone knows their tools, there's more modders than ever.

It might not be as active as say, last year, but it certainly is very alive to me. (maybe I've got a completely wrong impression though).

PrplPplEater
Mortal
posted 03 September 2007 11:33 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
In my professional opinion (lol), modding is not dying. Modding is not quite as active as it was last year, but much has changed over the course of a year. Maybe the failed merge of AS and LZS is to blame. Maybe it was Hades, bringing down Phoenix, Vorpal and the Last Legion. Maybe it was PDS' inactivity for 5 straight months.

There could be a lot of causes for this scarce number of releases, but modding isn't dying. I've learned this market well enough to be able to confidently say that this is just a big annual dip in the economy. When I registered as PrplPplEater (I had hovered here for a while without registering back in 2004 when I had Titans), modding was quite active. Before then, modding was sort of a new thing and not many people had bought into it.

With more and more programs built to make modding easier, overall game modification is greatly rising. Soon, everyone will appear to be an expert by today's standards with more advanced tools than we could ever imagine.

AoM modding will eventually die. The game will eventually and unfortunately be topped by the many RTS games to come. Regardless of my relationship with WFG, I think 0 AD will be a massively popular game with lots of modders. A free game available on Windows, Mac and Linux that you can download for free?? You don't even have to program your own modding tools because all of it will be included! Right off the bat, modding with 0 AD will be a huge hit.

But that's just my prediction.
Ryder25
Mortal
(id: tasev)
posted 05 September 2007 08:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
Don't you guys just love AoM and modding it? It's wonderful to give awesome mods to the community and have them enjoy the mods. I'm also surprised at how many people came all of the sudden asking questions on how to mod. I am glad that new people are coming because we need some more guys to become experts so we can all enjoy the mods we've always wanted. Wow...that sounded boring and weird :S .
Stephen Caines
Mortal
posted 06 September 2007 06:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
You tell 'em Tasev!

The wimps have moved on to AoE3 to do some more finger painting (textures), while the serious modders are still here trying to figure out the interesting stuff!

From what I have seen on the AoE3 site, they are still years behind us - a good AoM mod leaves them for dead regardless of their fancy bump-maps and other new-age paraphernalia.

(just kidding ...... sort of)

P.S. Newb27 .. dying out since June 23rd 2007, when you registered .. I suggest you cut down on the amphetamines!

[This message has been edited by Stephen Caines (edited 09-06-2007 @ 06:55 AM).]

Argalius
Mortal
posted 06 September 2007 03:31 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
AoM modding is dying out for sure. However I'm quite stunned at how active it still is. When AoE3 came out many modders moved to AoE3 (me included), however AoE3 modding didn't really satisfy the things we had hoped for so most of the left. Then AoM modding had almost came to a standstill but for some reason it revived into what it is today which is quite good for an old game like AoM. But it's dying, that's for sure and this time for good I'm afraid.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
Darth Balor
Mortal
posted 06 September 2007 03:35 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23       
Can this thread be deleted please, it is very discouraging.

I am AgeofKnights, my orginal account was accidently deleted from the HG server, Vorpal Designs has shut down so I'm here as Darth Balor, If a mod/admin can change my name to AoK, or something like my orginal name I would appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Darth Balor (edited 09-06-2007 @ 03:35 PM).]

Sir Dundo
Mortal
posted 06 September 2007 03:56 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
The Mods won't close this thread unless there's a reason to.. At this point, it's a logical debate.

Like I said, everything passes away at one time, and it's inevitable that AoM Modding will eventually be null.

~V.

|/\|
\_/†―――――†―――――†\_/
Stephen Caines
Mortal
posted 10 September 2007 06:18 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
.... and just check a few recent posts on the site, Argalius and Kalus are back, so AoM Modding is clearly entering a Renaissance!
Ryder25
Mortal
(id: tasev)
posted 11 September 2007 09:50 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
Argalius and Kalus are back? So where's the AI and mods guys?

[This message has been edited by tasev (edited 09-12-2007 @ 11:31 PM).]

Argalius
Mortal
posted 13 September 2007 11:42 AM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
I still lurk around here some times, looking at some AoM mod projects. Returning to my roots and all, you know...

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
kalus
Mortal
posted 13 September 2007 03:57 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
What? Me? *goes back hiding under his rock*
ephestion
Mortal
posted 14 September 2007 08:34 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
I made a mod for Greek villagers back in 2004, they wear Greek patterns instead of straight player colour uniforms. If you know how to display screenshots i would show you. Ahh what the heck ill add it to the dload section.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
PrplPplEater
Mortal
posted 15 September 2007 01:58 AM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
I say we spam this thread until its closed.
newb27
Mortal
posted 20 September 2007 09:43 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
Heck yes! Prplppleater is on the right track
Godyssey
Mortal
(id: Two_ace_u)
posted 21 September 2007 05:06 AM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
Please do not spam such smilies. This topic may still spark some discussions.

Although I agree modding is dying, There are a lot still modding AOM, so its still active.

A green great dragon.
Mythic_Freak
Mortal
posted 21 September 2007 12:30 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
Spoken of a contradiction...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames