You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Create MAPS ? (Not scenarios)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Create MAPS ? (Not scenarios)
Jagan06
Mortal
posted 31 December 2018 11:06 AM EDT (US)         
Hello. I am an old player, maybe not a good (or hardcore) one, but I've been playing this game since it came out. After a long time not touching the game, due to no longer having people to play with, I was very excited to play it again a few weeks back. Memories came back and the gameplay came back to me instantly too.

Now, with quite a few games behind me, I start to get bored again. Because of the maps.

One thing I always really wanted to do in this game, is simply create my own map and play on it. And you can ! At least that's what it looks like at first...

The editor mode is insanely complicated. I don't get the AI, and actually, I don't want any AI. I don't want to make it a scenario with goals etc, I just want to be able to create a map that I like, and play it while adding one or several opponents who will be affected to that forum. Y'know ?

To be short, I just wanna play a regular game with an opponent who starts fresh, just like me. Without having to code tons of AI stuff.

Now, is there a way to do that ?

Having recently discovered StrategyGameVideos's YT channel, I saw that he was playing with people on custom maps. so there has to be a way right ?

Thanks a lot for your help and for reading me.
AuthorReplies:
Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 31 December 2018 11:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
If you want to play supremacy you can make custom scenarios for this.

For the AI to work on such scenarios you must make a couple of things right though.

> Give them a starting Town Center and around it all of the necessary starting resources in sight. Gold, Wood and Food need to be accessible early otherwise the AI just never starts working.

> IIrc Town Centers need to be placed on the grid for the AI to be able to use them. In the editor some units are automatically placed on the grid, like gold mines and berry bushes. You will need to make a simple Trigger to transform them into Town Centers.

Trigger: [x] Active [ ] Loop [x] Run Immediately [xxxx] Priority Max
Condition: Always
Effects:

Change Unit Type - Mark all the gold mines or berry bushes you want to change into Town Centers, Pick "Settlement Level 1" from the dropdown list
Convert - Mark the thing converted to TC and pick a player number to convert to
Convert - Again for every other player

Change Unit Type - Mark all you want to change into normal neutral settlements, pick "Settlement" from the dropdown. You don't need to convert those since they are needed to be gaia anyways

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb
Jagan06
Mortal
posted 31 December 2018 12:53 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Thank you for your answer. This is already giving me a headache though LOL. I don't understand a few things :

What is Ilrc town center ? And why do I have to convert a bush or gold mine into a town center ? And what are the Xs ?

Also, how was SGV able to play custom maps with his friends ?
Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 31 December 2018 09:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
IIrc is "If I remember correctly"

Because Berry Bushes or Gold Mines are automatically snatched to the maps grid. If you use free placement the AI will not be able to build the town center.

The [x] means you need to check this check box in the Triggers Overview. Last one, the "Priority", is a Slider not a box so just pull it to the full right for max priority.

Are you playing the old game or EE?
For the old game he uses Voobly or GameRanger to play online faked as LAN multiplayer.
For EE you can go into "Online" and host a game.

When hosting a game you can chose from the dropdown menu to the right where it usually says "Supremacy". There you can select "Scenario" and load a scenario.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 12-31-2018 @ 09:01 PM).]

nottud
Mortal
posted 01 January 2019 07:17 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
If you are referring to the customm crazy maps on StrategyGameVideos's channel a lot of them are mine and unfortunately they are created with scripting and code.

However scenarios when set up correctly as pointed out by others can be just as good. Any maps that you create can be hosted with others to play - simply go into the appropriate multiplayer, create a game, select the map type scenario and select the map you want to play.

As for creating such multiplayer maps - I would suggest going to the downloads of the main site and downloading a multiplayer scenario of the type you want and having a look at how it is set up or play online and play someone else's map that you fancy the look of.
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 06 January 2019 08:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
If you're new to designing period don't even attempt to try creating random maps, just go with scenarios. fyi. scenarios are gui, random maps are code. RM's are great for randomizing but quest vars can do that for you too, similarly.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames