You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Technical Help » AOT 1080p and drag selection box issues on Parallels Desktops for mac.
Bottom
Topic Subject:AOT 1080p and drag selection box issues on Parallels Desktops for mac.
badrobot
Mortal
posted 23 February 2019 03:10 PM EDT (US)         
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post on AOM Heavengames forum. I was playing AOT on Gameranger since 6-7 years. I recently changed my computer from pc to a mac. Currently, I don’t want to go with the boot camp route. Also, wrapping AOT with wine wrapper wont work ,probably cause gameranger wont launch the game or coudn’t identify the path. So, I went with the Virtual Machine route. VMware fusion was sluggish, but Parallels Desktop runs the game smoothly. The driver I used is from http://aarononeal.info/age-of-mythology-under-parallels/ . The file parallels.gfx which is needed to be placed on the gfxconfig & gfxconfig2 folder.
contains the following line:

// these are the plain vanilla versions we start from

[config]
hardwareTNL=hardware.gfx
softwareTNL=software.gfx

[features]
anisotropy=1 // DWORD. hardcodes anisotropy on (or off), regardless of what driver says
fontUVOffset=0.0 // float. font UV offset
win32Cursor=1 // DWORD. 0 == d3d cursor. 1 == win32 cursor
QualityLevel=high
// NoWaterBump=1

[resolutions]
0=640x480x16
1=640x480x32
2=800x600x16
3=800x600x32
4=1024x768x16
5=1024x768x32
6=1440x900x16
7=1440x900x32
8=1680x1050x16
9=1680x1050x32

[multisampleModes]
modes=1

[hardwareTextureStageState]
mtOff=mtOff.tss
mtOffNoVtxAlpha=mtOffNoVtxAlpha.tss
mtOffNoTx=mtOffNoTx.tss
mtOffOnlyAlpha=mtOffOnlyAlpha.tss
mtLinearBlend=mtLinearBlend.tss
mtEmissiveSpecularFactor=mtEmissiveSpecularFactor.tss
mtEmissiveSpecularFactorNoTx=mtEmissiveSpecularFactorNoTx.tss
mtSpecularBump=mtSpecularBump.tss
mtLinearBlendAlpha=mtLinearBlendAlpha.tss
mtLinearBlendInverseAlpha=mtLinearBlendInverseAlpha.tss
mtLinearBlendAlphaEmissiveSpecularFactor=mtLinearBlendAlphaEmissiveSpecularFactor.tss
mtLinearBlendEmissiveSpecularFactor=mtLinearBlendEmissiveSpecularFactor.tss
mtAdd=mtAdd.tss
mtAddFactor=mtAddFactor.tss
mtAddAlpha=mtAddAlpha.tss
mtAddInverseAlpha=mtAddInverseAlpha.tss
mtSeparateAlpha=mtSeparateAlpha.tss
mtLightmap=mtLightmap.tss
mtFogMask=mtFogMask.tss
mtFadeLightmapByAlpha=mtFadeLightmapByAlpha.tss

[softwareTextureStageState]
mtOff=mtOff.tss
mtOffNoVtxAlpha=mtOffNoVtxAlpha.tss
mtOffNoTx=mtOffNoTx.tss
mtOffOnlyAlpha=mtOffOnlyAlpha.tss
mtLinearBlend=mtLinearBlend2Stage.tss
mtEmissiveSpecularFactor=mtEmissiveSpecularFactor.tss
mtEmissiveSpecularFactorNoTx=mtEmissiveSpecularFactorNoTx.tss
mtSpecularBump=mtSpecularBump.tss
mtLinearBlendAlpha=mtLinearBlendAlpha.tss
mtLinearBlendInverseAlpha=mtLinearBlendInverseAlpha.tss
mtLinearBlendAlphaEmissiveSpecularFactor=mtLinearBlendAlphaEmissiveSpecularFactor.tss
mtLinearBlendEmissiveSpecularFactor=mtLinearBlendEmissiveSpecularFactor.tss
mtAdd=mtAdd.tss
mtAddFactor=mtOff.tss
mtAddAlpha=mtOff.tss
mtAddInverseAlpha=mtOff.tss
mtSeparateAlpha=mtOff.tss
mtLightmap=mtLightmap.tss
mtFogMask=mtFogMask.tss
mtFadeLightmapByAlpha=mtFadeLightmapByAlpha.tss

So, the first issue is that though the desktop runs at 1080p the game doesn’t. Tried to change the resolution on the above file to 1080px32 as the only option, but still the game doesn’t work on 1080p. My user.cfg is:
xres=1920
yres=1080
+EasyDragMilitary
+enableIdleMilitaryBanner
+enableCameraRotation
+footprints
+RecordGame
+TrainBuildFeedback
+waterbump
+enableDynamicMusic
+battleCries

And persistent.cfg is:
// startup\persistent.cfg
xres 1920
+enableDynamicMusic
+battleCries
soundOn 1
MusicVol 0.800000
musicOn 1
+waterbump
realScrollSpeed 0.060000
+showRolloverHelp
+filterChat
yres 1080
defaultUnitStance 0
playerProfileName "Default"
ESOPassword "Default"
playerGUID "{00C92B88-0D7B-400D-A2D8}"
soundVol 1.000000
MouseScaleX 1.000000
MouseScaleY 1.000000
bpp 16
graphicDetail 0
gamma 128
multisamplemode 1
+RecordGame
BroadenMPSearchOption 0
SoundSampleRate 3
showTime 1
showScore 1
currentCampaign "Fall of the Trident"
skipMipMapLevels 0
maineditlist-pos "480 270 960 810"
RoughenSettings-pos "759 450 1162 630"
BrushMaskDialog-pos "0 0 278 759"

But, it seems that nothing sticks, the game does work on widescreen but not at 1080p. Can anyone help me with this issue, but the main deal breaker is that “Drag selection Box” doesn’t appears upon dragging the mouse pointer for selecting multiple units. Though, they all get selected but the box was a precise tool for selecting. I will highly appreciate anyone could help me with the issue.

Thank You
AuthorReplies:
mju253
Mortal
posted 24 February 2019 06:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
Wow I can't believe you just posted this yesterday because I have the same problem and I've only just set up AOMT last week the same way you have. This is quite a coincidence because I've been looking all over for an answer.

I was able to get the game to run in widescreen but the UI is stretched. It's playable, but I am wondering how to do it the correct way so that the UI is normal. I used this guide (you may have tried this too?):

https://www.nooblet.org/blog/2008/age-of-mythology-widescreen-resolution/

I have the same issue with the selection box not showing up. In addition to the selection box issue, when I right click to send a unit somewhere the waypoints (usually shown as white 'dots' on the minimap) do not show on the minimap. The box on the minimap that is supposed to show where in the game I am looking at does not show up either (typically it's just a small white box on the minimap).

It's driving me nuts. Game works perfectly other than that as far as I can tell.

Still amazed that you just posted this especially given how small the community is. I hope we can find a solution. I've also tried running the game through Wine which worked well till I got tired of playing against the computer.
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 24 February 2019 09:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Some pictures would help, guys.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
mju253
Mortal
posted 24 February 2019 09:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
Hi TAG,

Thanks for checking this out and for your input on the forum in general.

Here are a couple screenshots where I've tried to highlight the issue. The filenames are the captions for each image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gDv3Z_583PbxzzcmKihRuvcNWs5BoFK0/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_CYBXG-at5Q09u3BRS1_eKrlPmRHQ3R/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oAHGN8YsTf-B0YkJl9e729ZaivQ8tY0o/view?usp=sharing

How do I embed a picture in the post by the way? Sorry to bother with this. I am new to the forum and I don't have much experience with html. Please bear with me

Looked around on the main page for a guide or something but didn't find anything- maybe I am missing something.

EDIT---------------------------

Also.. In trying to solve the widescreen issue I made a mistake somewhere with Ekants's UI mod.

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3788

Working on fixing that now. Just did a fresh reinstall and somehow still has not brought the UI back to normal.

Just as a note to explain why the UI is messed up. Had it working before installing Ekanta's mod.

[This message has been edited by mju253 (edited 02-24-2019 @ 09:52 PM).]

TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 02 March 2019 11:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Are you using a virtual machine as well?

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
Legendary Raider
Mortal
(id: avaget)
posted 13 March 2019 09:42 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
you can play vanilla (non-titans) version on a mac and gameranger even supports online play with that
https://www.gameranger.com/games/mac/
Just did a fresh reinstall and somehow still has not brought the UI back to normal.
you have to delete the cache files (if you do a reinstall always delete aom folder itself too because they get left behind) otherwise the game will use these and so you'll see the same problem from the old file cached - in particular you'll have to delete this file
uimain.XMB
.XMB files are safe to delete as they're just the cache files and because the game will recreate them from .xml on the next run

[This message has been edited by Legendary Raider (edited 03-13-2019 @ 09:46 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames