You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.63 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » ESO on weeknights = a sad state of affairs...
Bottom
Topic Subject:ESO on weeknights = a sad state of affairs...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 03 June 2003 00:48 AM EDT (US)         
9:45 pst 10 MP games and 775 peeps total online...

For the Age series that has got to be an all time low, I'd probably have more luck getting in a MP Rise of Rome game then on ESO right now and that's just terrible.

I'm actually a little shocked to be honest.

AuthorReplies:
Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 03 June 2003 04:54 PM EDT (US)     31 / 63       
The main reason why the number are so low is because of the shortcomings of the Advanced Setup interface -- team games. These weaknesses should have been addressed immediately after the release of AOM, but unfortunately, they're still there, and so I'm not shocked at all to see that the number of players have drop from around 3 thousand to where it is right now.

And as to whether the x-pack will increase the number of online players on ESO... I don't think that getting players is what ESO is having problem with. I think the problem that it has since the beginning is keeping the players. And unless there is a redesign of the team-game interface (Advanced Setup), I don't see how bringing new players would help, because if they will have a hard time getting the game with the interface, they will eventually leave just as the people that left the original game for the same reason.

ESO's quick setup is good for 1v1, rated games for competitive gamers. However, the casual players don't play rated, so in order to have lots of players, it must incoporate the Advance Setup system and design of the ZONE.

Achilles_Knee
Mortal
posted 03 June 2003 09:38 PM EDT (US)     32 / 63       
exams and age of players?

wow...we're really reaching for excuses now aren't we...

I really think that 9:00pm on the west coast on a tuesday should be a heck of a lot better then it is....

I'm saying, maybe AOM isn't really that successful...maybe it's more along the lines of 'mildly successful'...

I mean, ES probably doesn't really care too much about ESO they already sold a bunch of copies...

But I feel pretty betrayed; the interface is so bad that people have stopped using it; yet no move to make it better.

Pretty sad...the bad thing is that now I'm not playing the game...I can't get an MP game...

so for me AOM is basically a failure, unless I move to England or stop spending time with the wife on the weekends...

"Either come back from battle carrying your
shield or being carried on your shield."

Latest RMS map: Alpine
Current Project: "Age of Stratego" scenario

Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 01:38 AM EDT (US)     33 / 63       
I mean; right now....10:33 PST...

2395 on the zone playing Age of Kings tC....5 rooms ROCKING with mp games....

on ESO it's 683 with 7 mp games advertised.

I mean this is a TREND not an exception...

How can anyone look at these stats and not question the success of this game; and I mean just in terms of it's online playability??

I mean; it has to be said; the Age series has not looked this bad since....

well...

ever.

I mean something like Rome Total War can come along and basically turn AOM into Netscape Navigator if ES isn't careful.

If more people are playing RON right now that's ****BAD***

I'm gonna pick it up this weekend, so we shall see...but I'm not buying the every one has exams excuse...this is serious....AOM may be dying.

Mysterium
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 04:38 AM EDT (US)     34 / 63       
Key to the success of online gaming is that:

- there is "always" the possibility to join the game
- each game is fun

The first criteria will be automatically fullfiled if each game is fun.

How to assure that each game is fun:

- create a system that links-up players that have the same strenght. ES wanted to do this with the quick-set up but was *****-up by smurfs - so key is to eliminate smurfs - only ONE account per CD - period. If somebody wants to try out new goods he shall use advanced set-up. This way the rated games would increase (I almost stopped playing rated games because either you win easily or you are trashed - but games against equal strenght players are seldom)

- in advanced set-up automatically caculate for each player a handicap that brings the level of all players playing to about the same. The calculation would be based again on the rating. This way it would also be fun for a 19+ player to play against a 17+ player - and both would learn. Handicap should be through increased costs of units, buidlings etc.

See gaiming as a sport - as long as it is fair and competitive it is fun - if there is unfairness or uncompetitive it dies !

Thus ES - listen and eliminate smurfing !!!!!

ESO : Mysterium and Mysterium2

[This message has been edited by Mysterium (edited 06-04-2003 @ 04:39 AM).]

Mr_Boingy
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 05:21 AM EDT (US)     35 / 63       
Saying that, smurfing isn't exactly a new issue is it?

You had it on AoK as well.

Do u get a lot of smurfing on WC3?

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 05:42 AM EDT (US)     36 / 63       
Smurfing might be an issue in 1v1 rated games, but as far as the lower number of players on ESO, it has little to do with the quick setup and more to do with the nonrated team-game interface that casual players use to play with their friends and clan mates.
poppy123
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 07:02 AM EDT (US)     37 / 63       
When the game becomes cheaper i think more people will buy it.

I hear this internets pretty good. I was thinking of buying one
Tordenskiold
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 07:28 AM EDT (US)     38 / 63       
More than 1,000,000 have already bought the game.

That is not the problem !! Topics like this is

They scares people away from ESO.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 09:14 AM EDT (US)     39 / 63       
so what, your solution is to just ignore the problem?

1,000,000 and I can't get a game on a Tuesday night? "Topics like this"....that's the problem, huh.

lol

Last night I finally got into a 6 player mp game and it OOS'd. So I didn't really get to play last night.

Meanwhile over at the zone...100's of mp games to chose from.

But the "problem" is me...starting a thread about it. Not the fact I can't seem to play MP anymore...Hey I have two copies of AOM, I guess I'm the problem times two now...

sheesh

edit: the scary thing is that I'm up early here at 6:16am and there are more people on now then at 10:00pm..

lol

968 with 30 mp games available....I guess I should play at 4:00am in the morning...LMAO

[This message has been edited by Ferrari_Warrior (edited 06-04-2003 @ 10:12 AM).]

Tordenskiold
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 11:16 AM EDT (US)     40 / 63       
What is your solution (except whine about it ) ???

Don't make topics just complaining about things without at least try to suggest some solution.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

Achilles_Knee
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 11:49 AM EDT (US)     41 / 63       
you gotta be kidding me...

So we can't deal with reality now. Amazing.

The solution is obviously an ESO mp interface that's usable, as many have suggested here.

But I gotta say dude; the ostrich head in the sand your doing is here pretty sad.

"Either come back from battle carrying your
shield or being carried on your shield."

Latest RMS map: Alpine
Current Project: "Age of Stratego" scenario

ColdWind2Valhala
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 11:55 AM EDT (US)     42 / 63       
AOM heaven Games on Weekdays = a sad state of affairs due to Ferrari's constant moaning
Tordenskiold
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 12:33 PM EDT (US)     43 / 63       
I agree

If he hates the games that much, why doesn't he just leave and play warcraft3 or something else, me wonders

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

ColdWind2Valhala
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 12:55 PM EDT (US)     44 / 63       
"why doesn't he just leave and play warcraft3 or something else, me wonders "

My thoughts exactly, the world may never know.

breTTus
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 05:09 PM EDT (US)     45 / 63       
hello again... wow... I mean, what to do?... personally, I think that it's an interface thing as well... I am new to the whole online RTS scene, but it does seem that almost every time I attempt to get into an MP game something goes haywire... another thing that a happy forumer commented on is the whole strategy thing... I've been feeling a bit miffed when it comes to playing rated games, because it seems that all one has to do is park some barracks or what have you close enough to your TC, and it's just about over... I've played this series since AoK, and it seems that there was a bit more strategy involved with that and Conquerors... like I said, tho, I am new to this... so maybe I just need to evolve my strategies to fit into this genre of play... solutions?... ESO is gonna have to step up and make the MP (or advanced setup) more accomodating... the 1v1 thingie is real nice, but smurfing is going to kill it off... as to a strat. solution, I probably need to evolve... I'll try some Zone w/AoK:TC, just to see... I do likes the Huns...

CyaBye...
breTTus... ESO:breTTus...

_Men of five still alive through the raging blow_
_Gone insane from the pain and they surely know_
_For Whom The Bell Tolls_
Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 04 June 2003 11:18 PM EDT (US)     46 / 63       
dude your whining...

according to the forum police.

stop talking sense it's not allowed here.

prozzzak80
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 00:03 AM EDT (US)     47 / 63       
well i was thinking that since the game i finaly ballanced now (IMO) people dont want to play cause they only wanted to win without trying to hard but now since there is no simple way to win i.e set rush jarls etc no one wants to play but now that i have read what you guys said i agree now is the time when schjool is finishing and everyone has to study plus its when all the teachers pile on tons of work so theres probobly not enough time for most people to play plus like most people who play probobly have jobs to and school and chores and stuff like that so yeah there just isnt enough time for most now

Death Comes Quikly in Space, unless it comes very slowly - Time Magazine
Phat Fox
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 00:08 AM EDT (US)     48 / 63       
I predict that in mid june/august there will be about 4000-5000 peeps on. And hopfully more when the xpac comes out.

AOM Titan Info.
Rating: 1650+
Civ. : #1 Thor #2 kronos #3 Odin
ESO : Blunt_69 aka CV_KiNGPiN
GOTD_FireCobra
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 00:32 AM EDT (US)     49 / 63       
And this does not take into account the idiots one can find on ESO too yet. I played one person on a Total War map, and downright beat the daylights out of him. He claims that I am a "loser" and what all not. He just could not accept the fact that I beat him. I hate the little snots who feel they are better than everyone else. Needless to say he is now on my pest list, and I think a bunch of other members of that clan he belonged to are going to join him.
Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 00:51 AM EDT (US)     50 / 63       
well it's 790 and 7 mp games again tonight...

I don't see how that is going to suddenly become 4000 but I hope your right...I simply can't get a game anymore...

but you know, according to some that's a 'whine'...

alpine
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 01:39 AM EDT (US)     51 / 63       
If my memory serves, and I admit I could be wrong, but didn't AOK's start kind of slowly and take off when the expansion came out?

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...
ColdWind2Valhala
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 09:15 AM EDT (US)     52 / 63       
I never said whine, I said moan. Here are some examples

MOAN Example 1

"I'm playing a lot of games lately on mp ESO and I also mess with random map scripting...and I've been noticing a disturbing trend:

there is lot of hacking going on, cause a lot of custom rms' are completley BUG RIDDEN.

look people, if your going to script, get your map to run cleanly...

no one can trust a map that fires the debugger...heck even ES maps like Nomad have bugs in them without launching the debugger so any map that in fact does fire the debugger is BROKEN.

Fix it!"

MOAN Example 2

"Seriously. Maybe it's time for us to admit that this game really isn't that great of an online game. I mean, I can happily just design and play single player scenarios or have my friends over on weekend for LAN games.

Maybe the AOM online experience is dead.

I'm probably gonna buy RON next month, maybe that's the game I play online...or maybe Medival Total War with the viking expansion...and there is always AOK."

Ferrari, it is next month now (June), go buy rise of crappy nations and leave us alone.

Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 09:42 PM EDT (US)     53 / 63       
I really think this is completely uncalled for and a personal attack and I'd like the forum admins to do something about this.
CheeZy
Mortal
(id: CheeZy monkey)
posted 05 June 2003 10:58 PM EDT (US)     54 / 63       
Quit exagerating and quiet down.

(is that an attack too?)

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
GOTD_FireCobra
Mortal
posted 05 June 2003 11:27 PM EDT (US)     55 / 63       
^^ Yet another reason AoM is declining in popularity....
Socvazius
CEO
(id: Angel Socrateius)
posted 06 June 2003 00:29 AM EDT (US)     56 / 63       
Right now, I see no serious problems with flaming.

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
Digital_Assasin
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 01:12 AM EDT (US)     57 / 63       
Reasons why the numbers are so low = The aweful ESO interface with its aweful friends and chat setup
2.Smurfing
3.Ratign system needs to be adjusted
and
4.RA STILL SUCKS ( he needs a scout )
Ferrari_Warrior
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 01:33 AM EDT (US)     58 / 63       
Yet another AOM player turned off for good.

Just an FYI, you've run off the man who scripted Land Nomad, Treasure Island, a really cool Alpine map, and someone who had completely reproduced the Ancient City of Athens in the editor for the contest using an accurate scale model.

And a man who works for a software partner of Microsoft as an IT person to boot.

I really do think I deserve common respect, and pulling my statements from other threads into a different thread altogether in a bizzare attempt at character assasignation really should be moderated out.

What you;ve done here is to encourage it.

So frankly, if you guys don't care about your users, and whenever someone points out a fact about the game it's OK for it to erupt into a slew of insults, I want no part of the community.

Congratulations people.

Tordenskiold
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 03:54 AM EDT (US)     59 / 63       
Ferrari_Warrior,

What is your mission ???

Who encourage (or pay ??) you to spam this forum with negative comments about the game ??

I cannot remember to have seen something from you which is positive, constructive, strategic or even helpful in any way at all.

It has already been said before. Yes, this game has it's bad sides, so does ESO. But ESO is still 10 times better than the zone, not even mentioning Gamespy .

Many of us still enjoys to play AOM every day and finds it may just be the best RTS game out there today. Why can't you just let us have that simple joy in life to ourself without trying to get everybody to hate the game (on an official FAN SITE, remember ??)

Since you are obviously not a fan of the game, why are you hanging around a fan site every day ?? I simply do not get it.

Just leave us alone and go play something else, please ??

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

[This message has been edited by Tordenskiold (edited 06-06-2003 @ 03:55 AM).]

alpine
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 05:26 AM EDT (US)     60 / 63       

Quote:

So frankly, if you guys don't care about your users, and whenever someone points out a fact about the game it's OK for it to erupt into a slew of insults, I want no part of the community. Congratulations people.

You have my respect for just being honest. You weren't flaming whatsoever or turning people off from the game. I suggest don't feel like running off because of a couple of 14 year olds with lots of pimples who are insecure enough to think your posts are going to destroy the game.

You're just commenting on something all of us who have played this game a long time know, something's very wrong with the multiplayer. You're just asking questions. Nothing wrong with that. People, this is not MFO. Please stop flaming the guy.

He deserves a little bit of your respect.

Quoted from "Tordenskiold":

But ESO is still 10 times better than the zone, not even mentioning Gamespy

Sorry bub but you're 100% wrong on this one. I love AoM, but ESO frankly sucks. The zone is 100x's better than ESO because of the sense of community which you don't get on ESO, and Gamespy is also better than ESO. I happen to think the RoN in game gamespy interface is pretty good myself.

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...

[This message has been edited by alpine (edited 06-06-2003 @ 05:32 AM).]

Tordenskiold
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 06:04 AM EDT (US)     61 / 63       
To be honest, I belive that the ESO "quick setup" is possible the best thing to hit multi-player life in many years. Sure, there are problem. Biggest are the guys who has to create new accounts every time they reach a certain level to pump up their ego. They are called "smurfs".

But please remember ESO did not invent the term smurf. There are tons of smurfs on the zone too. Guys joining "rookie" games just to show off and also the rated rooms are full of smurfs. That is not a problem created by ESO - it has been there for years.

Please try to explain to me, why you think the Zone and Gamespy are better than ESO. I simply do not understand it. Maybe it's just me being a little stupid

I also have RON and have started maybe 25 online games (all unrated, since their rating system does not work )
and have only been able to play maybe 2 or 3 to the end. All the rest have either lagged too much, crashed or gone "out of sync". If that is your idea of the ideal gaming room, then by all means - go play on Gamespy !!!

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

tGo_elfjorc
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 06:11 AM EDT (US)     62 / 63       
We're all missing something very important. When the gme came out, it was the holidays, so more people play. Now, it's schooltime, and so less people. Sheesh, I've got exams in 3 weeks!!
ColdWind2Valhala
Mortal
posted 06 June 2003 08:53 AM EDT (US)     63 / 63       
I played 5 quickmatch games last night. I found every game in no more than 20 seconds, had no lag and no disconnections. This happens consistently every night. I have 56k and live in the middle of nowhere, our phone lines sucks. ESO ROCKS!!!!!!!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames