You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.43 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Archaic is boring
Bottom
Topic Subject:Archaic is boring
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Frigrating
Mortal
posted 09 July 2003 08:47 AM EDT (US)         
It's really all about BO's. Seldom do you need to change your BO due to map variances because they are not random enough. It would be nice if the x-pack added spice to this age somehow. One thing they could do is make it so that you don't always see a gold pile or chickens/bushes in your starting LOS. Then maybe Archaic wouldn't be such a mundane charade, and god forbid, we might have to think on the spot about where to distribute our villagers, rather than follow the latest popular BO. Sure there will be a degree of whining about unfair maps, but odds are everyone's luck evens out over time. The game would be so much more fun.
AuthorReplies:
Frigrating
Mortal
posted 10 July 2003 05:21 PM EDT (US)     31 / 43       
About the only time you need to adapt to anything in Archaic is when the huntables are too far away. Big deal, just eat the half dozen sheep your scout has hoarded after your villies are done berries. What you call adapting, I call an extremely boring common sense charade. ES could do better.

Archaic is played out and must be shaken up somehow.

Mokon
Mortal
posted 10 July 2003 05:27 PM EDT (US)     32 / 43       
boring for u maybe

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • Frigrating
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 05:31 PM EDT (US)     33 / 43       
    LOL. Nice thought provoking response, anyone else have anything to add besides Mokon's one liner spams?
    Toastabal
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 05:36 PM EDT (US)     34 / 43       
    you can't really expect archaic to be as interesting as the other ages, simply cause it doesn't involve any fighting. I do believe the easiest way to solve it would be to just make random show up as random, so you have to adapt when it comes up as a watermap (you usually don't see the water straight away, so that'd be after you scouted for a while).
    Frigrating
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 05:43 PM EDT (US)     35 / 43       
    That is a very good idea. They'd have to make more maps to look like anatola, oasis etc so you wouldn't automatically know which map it is just from it's colors and layout.
    ES_DeathShrimp
    Immortal
    posted 10 July 2003 05:53 PM EDT (US)     36 / 43       
    We experimented a lot with more radical starting resources, but you find that some players will resign if they can't find any Food or Gold within 60 seconds or so.

I agree that build orders suck, but I think to change them you have to have some decisions about what you do in what order. We tried to add some of that with choices about early Docks and different Food sources, but after thousands of people have played the game thousands of times, they are going to find some optimal strategies.

We have made a few additional changes to the Xpack, and the Atlanteans do start pretty differently. You might also try some really different maps. I rarely play on anything other than Unknown anymore.

Sexy_DeaN
    Banned
    posted 10 July 2003 06:05 PM EDT (US)     37 / 43       
    Unknown is a very good map, it would be nice if it was added to the random set and more people played it
    AgeMyth
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 06:09 PM EDT (US)     38 / 43       
    unknown is good for a fun game but thats it. You cant play it on rated its can be unbalanced!
    Jazzman_Pritch
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 06:13 PM EDT (US)     39 / 43       
    You want a map that forces you to think on your feet? Try playing a couple of games on vindlansaga. Now THERE is a map that throws every BO you could think of out the window.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams—Mostly Harmless
    cndsniper
    Mortal
    posted 10 July 2003 10:35 PM EDT (US)     40 / 43       
    Unknown may be very wierd once the only food were wolves, WOLVES! Not much food there. So you weren't really allowed to make a lot of peons in archiac.

Silence is beauty, words only complicate the task.
    Gods of the season lead me to my next incident.
    Success is so tragic.
    Rookierookie
    Banned
    posted 11 July 2003 07:41 AM EDT (US)     41 / 43       
    I played unknown vs comp once--sort of like nile, with each team on one side. Guess what, there is only one gold mine on the map and its on my enemy's side. Don't say I haven't scouted enough, i used LAY OF THE LAND.
    Caden_the_Cruel
    Mortal
    posted 11 July 2003 09:38 AM EDT (US)     42 / 43       
    Personally I find archaic fun in its own way. The joy there is trying to get as close to 100% efficiency as possible while maximizing the resources you gather while scouting while figuring out where you are going to set up. It is a very multitasking oriented time and I find that enjoyable. I suppose if you are an expert enough (which I am not) to hit 100% every time then it might get a little less fun. However, I am not there yet.

AOM:TT Nick:CADENtheCRUEL, CADENtheBLUE
    Rating: Isis 1750, Ra 1700
    "Ancestors last for a minute, but Crocs last forever..."
    Mokon
    Mortal
    posted 11 July 2003 11:03 AM EDT (US)     43 / 43       
    floppy one side question what is ur eso rate?

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames