You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » do you think age matters when playing AOM?
Bottom
Topic Subject:do you think age matters when playing AOM?
bane_of_Canada
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 05:21 PM EDT (US)         
just interested in what you think. I am under 18 and I'm not that good (1650).
AuthorReplies:
Stimpy_LOL
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 05:23 PM EDT (US)     1 / 24       
nah..it depends if you spend alot of time playin it lol
LicensedDevil
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 05:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 24       
I would say that as you get older your ability to think logically, which is important, increases, until roughly the age of 15 I'd say, so from 15 up it's simply how much practice you get in, and it is also affected by your intelligence generally. *cough*

Licensed Devil
I'm here to kill your self belief
-=[SCN Punk Network]=-
-=[WebMaster]=-
SCN Punk Empires Editor Guide (or here)
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 05:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24       
Funny question! I play my grandson every weekend, he's getting pretty good for seven (I'm really older than dirt). Age matters very little in RTS games, just be able to practice a lot and never stop learning.
-

FAILURE is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work ?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work ?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost ?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that ?"
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
aom dude
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 06:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24       
I never knew you were that old MR2 Pilot.

Yes, it matter how much time you spent on playing the game. I play to little to become really good at the game.

It's lame to quote yourself - aom dude
Socvazius
CEO
(id: Angel Socrateius)
posted 17 August 2003 06:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24       
I think age has almost 0 effect in your skill. Some of the best experts in the world have been a lot younger than what most people would think. Capoch and Hope are two 15 year olds who have almost legendary status for their skill, and that's just two out of many.

I was actually better at RTS games like 5 or 6 years ago than I am today...mainly because I had a heck of a lot more time to play them

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
SavvyPlayer
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 07:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24       
Yes, in that one's level of interest or passion is critical to success. As one grows older, develops hobbies, gains responsibilities at the office, has a family, etc., the interest and passion available to RTS gaming wanes proportionately.
NIB
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 09:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24       
Yes age does matter. If you are like 10-12 then you probably dont have enough rts experience from previous games thus you will have a harder time becoming good at a game.

If you are like 15-16 then you have probably the best chances of becoming an expert. You have played many rts games, you might even into some game designing too. But most important you have enough time and not many interests.

If you are 18+ then chances are that you are working or studing and your interests have started or completely changed to different things than computer games. You can still be good but you will have to sacrifice a lot in order to become a top player. This isnt absolute of course.

Thus more experts are located in the 15-17 ages.

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

Compa_Mighty
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 11:06 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24       
As someone said, I think starting from 14-15 years, age doesn't matter. However if you are younger, you might not have the best logical thinking, coordination or skill to maximize your ability to play these games.

Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AoM.
Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro to do The Hobbit!
Chichén Itzá is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World!
TiTaN_D00IVIeD
Mortal
posted 17 August 2003 11:34 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24       
nah... i just turned 12 but im pretty damn smart
Letheb
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 00:38 AM EDT (US)     10 / 24       
im sure that most 3-5 year olds are a bit young to grasp the basics, while most 100+ year olds are likewise, not as adapt at playing most RTS style games. other than the 2 extremes, anyone not 34 years, 3 months, 23 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes, and 34 seconds old can play with little regard to age. if you are the age mentioned above, i suggest giving up RTS games entirely
EvilCat_Knight
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 00:55 AM EDT (US)     11 / 24       
The amount of time you've been playing rts games is probably more important that your actual age. Even though I'm as old as many pros, I've only been playing rts games for 2 years, so I have little experience.

Vigilance_ca
It's all about vigilance
Humans are both the smartest and dumbest organisms on the planet

[This message has been edited by EvilCat_Knight (edited 08-18-2003 @ 01:00 AM).]

prankster959
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 01:05 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24       
Letheb are you my stalker or something?

*gives up RTS gaming*

Pentium 4 2.8 ghz 800 FSB, xfx 7800gt OC 256mb, 1gb ddr2 ram @ 533mhz, 160gb raid 0 HD

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
The Dover Demon
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 02:42 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24       
No I don't think age really matters. Anyone who understands how to play Pokemon on a gameboy is pretty much capable of playing RTS games (not that they'll be very good), they will be able to understand basic concepts.

I started playing AoE at age 7, although with cheats and when I got AoK at around 11, I also used cheats until I got bored one day and started playing without them. I played DM, then I played on the Zone and figured out I wasn't *that* bad after all. I considered myself an inter at age 11 at AoK DM and was able to beat people much older than I was 20, 30 even 40 year old adults.

MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 08:54 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24       
From my experience, when your in school and your mind is accustomed to learning, picking up new information on a daily basis, then learning a game like AoM comes naturally, more naturally than for a person who has been out of the learning mode for some time. Strategy is different, some people are good at it, others not as good, just as some people are good at math, while others struggle with it. Anything can be learned by practically anyone, for some it's easier.

I'm lucky to have a job which requires constant education. I take three to five specialized courses a year to keep up and have done so for the past (many) years, so while not in the same learning mode as someone 15, my mind is still open to new information. Age does have a tendency to bring experience with it, but very little of that experience would normally apply to an RTS game, so a 12 to 18 year old, who's mind is basically like a sponge for new information, probably has a significant advantage where RTS games are concerned.

My 7 year old grandson, who's played less then 50 games of AoM, is already playing at about a 1500 stat level and improving rapidly, far more rapidly than I am. Guess the old gray matter is starting to harden up.

So does age matter? I’d say no, but it’s probably easier for the young at mind!
-

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Fobulous
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 09:13 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24       
some of the best players in AOM are between 15-18. Hope is 15 and Salska is about 17 last time i checked. Halens and Shiautz are about 18 or younger i'm not sure (asians always look younger tho)
Meto
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 09:16 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24       
i dont think that age matters all that much as long as you are above 15-18 and not old enough to really "play" through in the game and adapt quickly.

i would think that if you are 15 years old you are not at the top of your game yet though.

but like it was mentioned, those who have the skill will be at the top with less training.
and i do believe if two people at same skill level are playing and 1 got there by using his skill and 1 just by practice i would think that the one with the skill would come out on top.

its like in the army, a general will have a lot of training, experience, knowledge about war and warfare, but it is the skill he has that will make him the better general.
as it is for most things in life.

[This message has been edited by Meto (edited 08-18-2003 @ 09:22 AM).]

Compa_Mighty
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 09:30 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24       
TiTaN_D00IVIeD: I didn't say people under 14 were not smart, but I was there a couple years ago, and I can tell you that those two or three more years really make a difference in most games.

Today, I play less, yet I usually get better results than before, just because I've developed a better logical thinking and resource management. And that's something that comes easier by "life-experience" than by a lot of game practice.

(That's why it took me 2 years to get to beat my 35 year old uncle, he had that experience.)

That leads me to another point, MR2 Pilot says maybe it's easier for young minds to get these games. I think it's the opposite. If an "older person", specifically 25-40 years old, has decent computer skills he would have a edge over a younger player that had the same time of practice. Of course practice is a factor, and as most of you have said, younger people have more time to play, that's why you don't see many 30 year olds in the top rankings.

Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AoM.
Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro to do The Hobbit!
Chichén Itzá is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World!

[This message has been edited by Compa_Mighty (edited 08-18-2003 @ 09:35 AM).]

Jegal
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 04:56 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24       
I'm a 24 year old, graduated from university and currently working Monday through Saturday from 8 am to 7 pm. (yeah, working like a dog)
I started playing RTS game since very early ages. I started with DUNE.
when i was in college (19 yrs old), i bought the AOE and played it a lot on the zone. in about two years of playing it , i reached the rating of 2000+
back then i had heck of more time than now.
right now I'm playing AOM but my only playtime is Sunday if i dont' see my gf. On weekdays after i have dinner at home i 'm pretty exhausted (after work) to play this high adrenaline, hard thinking AOM. As you all know that playing a interm-high level of AOM multiplayer the least you need is a tired mind and tired body after work. Probably i need something to relax and not to play AOM. So on weekdays , when i don't see my gf, i'd play a game or two but pretty much can't play it with a sharp mind as i ' used to in the old AOE days...
Currently i'm oscillating between 1770-1850 rating on ESO

definitely as you get older you have less focus on games and also less time and a very tired body and mind in order to concentrate on this type of games...
or maybe I just lost my skills! lol
so you 15-19 yrs old , you'd better enjoy this while it lasts! LOL

CokaCola_KiD
Banned
posted 18 August 2003 07:28 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24       
I think that people have toys, anyway RTS games toys for teenagers they help them learn to build in a realistic way. But when you get into your 20s you get out and work learn to build construct things etc. When that happens you just seem to lose interest in the game cuz you know it isnt real so whats the point?

I guess the best example is like playing with toy cars and trucks. When you learn to drive your doing the real thing so playing with a toy car seems silly.

If your 20+ and you find some kind of fulfillment in this game its because theres something missing in your real life and your replacing what you should really be doing with this game. Maybe your in a job that sucks but your just doing it for the money. Or maybe your just not motivated enough to put the effort into doing something that you would love. So you play this game instead. Thats sad. But i understand, this game made me aware of what I really want to do. But I dont really play anymore im working to doing something I consider big.

TiTaN_D00IVIeD
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 07:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24       
yea ok well i think experiance matters most cuz ive been playin since age1 when i was....9 i think and that really helps, i think the longer uve played the better u r more than the older u r the better u r at a game
MR2 Pilot
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 08:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24       
"If your 20+ and you find some kind of fulfillment in this game its because theres something missing in your real life and your replacing what you should really be doing with this game. Maybe your in a job that sucks but your just doing it for the money. Or maybe your just not motivated enough to put the effort into doing something that you would love. So you play this game instead. Thats sad. But i understand, this game made me aware of what I really want to do. But I dont really play anymore im working to doing something I consider big."

I think there's a lot of wisdom in that paragraph. When I was younger, 20 through 50, life was full and very busy, no time what so ever for games like AoM. That’s the way it should be. Now I have more time on my hands and I can enjoy a few of the things I missed getting here. The world is a very small place, if you don't get out there and see it, visit and or work in foreign countries, do those things you desire, then later on you'll regret it big time. Life is so much more than one little game!
-

Mystic_Korean
Mortal
posted 18 August 2003 11:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24       
yeah it does. If you are in the Mythic AGE while your opponent is in Archaic it'll surely make a lot of difference.

lol

Svenmonkey
Mortal
posted 19 August 2003 00:25 AM EDT (US)     23 / 24       

Quote:

Life is so much more than one little game!

Noooo! My entire existence is pointless!
greenbelt
Mortal
posted 20 August 2003 06:52 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24       
Yeah, well, I'm 74 so I think I'll not bother too much about learning the finer points of playing AOM. I'll just read the forums, which are fun, but even so I have trouble understanding some of the language.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames