You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.73 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Please sign the petition for the release of The Titans for Mac users!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Please sign the petition for the release of The Titans for Mac users!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 06 February 2005 10:12 PM EDT (US)         
Yes Mods/Admins ect I read the TOS and rules, however I felt that this is important and relavent to AoM. Please for the sake of Aom, let this topic remain as it is and even if you can, sticky it! Thanks to those who participate and widen AoM's audience!

http://www.petitiononline.com/titans12/petition.html

AuthorReplies:
Satch
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 09:11 AM EDT (US)     31 / 73       
Why would you prefer a Dell? I know they flood the market with advertising but that doesn't make them the best. I'd head over to IbuyPower.com and check out their systems. You'll get a far better system for less $$$.

If you were going for a Dell though the things to look for are a dedicated video card, the most Ram you can afford and a PENTIUM (not celeron) processor.

Satch
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 09:15 AM EDT (US)     32 / 73       
Oh yah, macs rule - the absolute only thing holding them back is gaming. And - FYI microsoft and apple are collaborating a LOT lately. Notice the Office Suite for mac, AOM for mac, Virtual PC, etc...

Microsoft knows that mac is going to take a huge bite out of the computer market soon, especially as more people switch to laptops and realize that Apple is the only company thats figured out how to get some serious power in a very lightweight/battery friendly setup. And with the new Mini Mac's out for only $500 they can finally compete with the dell/gateway crowd of PC buyers who don't have a clue and only buy on price.

Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 03:25 PM EDT (US)     33 / 73       
Thanks for the site satch and to comment on the mac laptop, they start pretty powered up at only $999:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71308/wo/E76fXNB1J5Xt23tq39020A5jGs8/1.0.11.1.0.6.25.1.0.21.3.1.1.0?36,3

Satch
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 04:15 PM EDT (US)     34 / 73       
Yah they definitely are sweet. My friend has that exact model its an iBook w/ the 12'' monitor. I plan on getting one of the new powerbooks as soon as I get the funds They're a little steeper but worth it IMO.

Its amazing how much power they pack into such a small container. My HP laptop weighs a ton and has crappy battery life in exchange for that kind of power. My back is definitely looking forward to the day when I can lug around a much lighter Apple notebook!

Pascal9872
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 04:26 PM EDT (US)     35 / 73       
Wow 2.5 Ghz and an 8 gig HD????? 2.5GHz is maybe average by todays standard and an 8 GB HD is nothing. If you meant 8 GBs of ram then I think you are surely joking.

On to more serious things. I can tell you that you are not missing much with not having AOM:TT. A lot of the community switched back to AOM becase TT brought too many features that ruined the gameplay in their opinion.

On to your last point. If you are considering buying a PC then let me strongly encourage you to get an AMD over a Pentium. Pentiums are overpriced and the AMDs beat them in all the benchmark test.

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.
Satch
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 04:40 PM EDT (US)     36 / 73       
8GB of Ram is not joking, checkout the apple store, its very expensive but they offer it. And I agree AMD is better... my HP laptop is the ZV5000 which is has the new Athlon 64 processor. I love it I just wish it wasn't so heavy.

Also the PowerMac G5 is DUAL 2.5gig processors, not 1 but 2

So yah 1 by itself is run of the mill... but 2 = meh happy!

Dmytry_
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 05:20 PM EDT (US)     37 / 73       
8 gigs of RAM is for servers and for video editing and all that junk. You can get a Opteron system with 8 gigs of RAM too. Macs are slower than comparable PCs. Any one who would say otherwise is a fool. They are bought for their OS and programs. Not for their hardware. If you want to build a cheap PC check out newegg.com or other good sites. If you bought a Mac you shouldn't have expected to game on it. It uses out-dated hardware and does not support many games. Dual(or any more than 1) CPUs and anything over 1GB of RAM is a waste for gaming. Most games can only use 1 CPU at a time. They arn't designed to run on 2+ threads.
Ruler_of_games
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 05:30 PM EDT (US)     38 / 73       
i sign it:

Ruler_of_games

-Ruler_of_games
Satch
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 06:38 PM EDT (US)     39 / 73       
Dmytry, you're right most current games aren't designed to use 2 processors. However, Intel is planning on launching a 2 processor system next year and when they do you can bet that the gaming industry will capitalize on that extra power to make even more advanced games. How can you say Apple is using dated hardware when their configuration is years ahead of Intel.

I've never heard that macs are slower than PCs infact benchmark tests that I've seen show that @ the same clock speed macs perform slightly better, similar to how AMDs perform better. Maybe there's been some newer data though, I admit its been a while since I've researched that.

PC's are definitely cheaper because there are more parts manufacturers. Anyone can buy some OEM parts from newegg and build a great PC for sub-500. If macs were as wide spread as PC's I'm sure that it would be much easier to build your own mac cheap too.

Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 11 February 2005 09:04 PM EDT (US)     40 / 73       
Yea, it has to do with supply and demand. Although with newer technology, the pcs you are using now are no different from the one's you used a few years ago, obvioulsy with upgraded hardware. However The new apple generation computers have been around for 3 or 4 years at the most, because Dell, Gateway or any other companies who sell PC's have been for so many years they can lower the price a bit to compete a bit, because they have more people buying them. The PC's are cheaper, but they are bringing in more profit (at least they used to, dont know if they still are). After some times the playing field should be evened up a bit. And Dmytry if it was you who asked, I didnt want a laptop at all for x-mas, I had an e-mac. I recieved it as a gift, so obvioulsy I wouldnt return in, plus I love my mac, and gaming is less than a fraction of teen computer life. However because Microsoft has been collaborating quite alot with apple in the past few years, I wouldnt be suprised to see some games created directly by Microsoft, for both PC and mac. It may not happen, but I wouldnt be suprised. And Satch, you should love that 12-inch, is it a powerbook or ibook? Either way it drives more power I believe than my 15 inch powerbook (mine: 1 ghz, yours :1.67 ghz). Either way enjoy and cya around gameranger (mac gaming client).

Wow did I type all that, I knew I shoudlnt have coffee after 8 P.M.

savagelee
Mortal
posted 12 February 2005 10:45 AM EDT (US)     41 / 73       
I'll sign the petition, although I don't have a mac, I think its unfair that they release both versions on one system and only one version on the other.
Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 13 February 2005 12:55 PM EDT (US)     42 / 73       
Thanks savagee. Great only about a few thousand more
Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 16 February 2005 04:51 PM EDT (US)     43 / 73       
Yay 139 . Only like a few thousand more. BTW is the titans that great? some peeps say its sux. I dont get it, comment here and sign please.

freewebs.com/nighthawk_gr/thetitanspetition.htm

Satch
Mortal
posted 16 February 2005 05:43 PM EDT (US)     44 / 73       
I like the expansion... one of my friends who just switched from PC to a Mac is very upset that he lost access to his favorite civ. He's a huge Oranos fan, good thing I have 4 PCs hooked up here for LAN parties :P
Zeusownes
Mortal
posted 16 February 2005 06:36 PM EDT (US)     45 / 73       
THAT'S WHY SOULDN'T HAVE MAC...:P
Satch
Mortal
posted 16 February 2005 07:50 PM EDT (US)     46 / 73       
nono! thats why they need to release the expansion for Mac! No sense in doing something half way.
silentshot
Mortal
posted 16 February 2005 10:37 PM EDT (US)     47 / 73       
i signed anyway cause if you guys don't have authority to AoT why should we lol good luck anyway!
Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 17 February 2005 07:40 PM EDT (US)     48 / 73       
Thanks for your support guys. BTW i got XBL+HALO2 my GT is Nighthawk900

Later.

THE_champion95
Mortal
posted 18 February 2005 08:42 AM EDT (US)     49 / 73       
im not a mac user but i want to make the AoM: TT community bigger.

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
rampagingturtle8
Mortal
posted 18 February 2005 06:39 PM EDT (US)     50 / 73       
brtn what is ur gameranger sn?
Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 19 February 2005 01:29 PM EDT (US)     51 / 73       
Its nighthawk™

I aint on alot right now bcause of XBL, but I will probably play l8er 2day. Keep signing and supporting guys 2!

Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 22 February 2005 10:35 PM EDT (US)     52 / 73       
Is it possible to play AOM: TT on virtual PC for mac?
zerto
Mortal
posted 23 February 2005 12:24 PM EDT (US)     53 / 73       
Just signed the petition! I hope it will help....
Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 26 February 2005 11:02 PM EDT (US)     54 / 73       
Thanks, and can anyone answer my question above?
i r n00b
Banned
posted 27 February 2005 06:29 AM EDT (US)     55 / 73       
Let it die already.
Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 27 February 2005 04:55 PM EDT (US)     56 / 73       
The thread is keeping itself alive, and you just helped it so that was a waste if you wished for it to die. Remember guys lets stay on topic for signing the petition:

http://www.freewebs.com/nighthawk_gr/thetitanspetition.htm

Thanks!

Age_of_Jizzology
Mortal
posted 27 February 2005 05:34 PM EDT (US)     57 / 73       
I don't know, Macs are a waste of money i think because you have to buy a matching mouse, a matching monitor, etc. etc.
for like nearly 2 times the price of a normal PC keyboard or monitor. But they do have this really cool computer which is like the size of 7 CD cases stacked together...
cyclopsguy85
Mortal
posted 28 February 2005 05:19 PM EDT (US)     58 / 73       
One of the things Mac users sacrifice is their abillity to get games. The gaming industry knows that marketing to Microsoft is the best (and most obvious) company to take their product to.

If their cashflow from Windows users dies down, then they may market the program for Macs.

By the way, why was the Apple afraid of being handled?

It was afraid of being thrown out the Windows!

Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 02 March 2005 09:23 PM EDT (US)     59 / 73       
Well Apple's tend to be higher priced, not by much but to a cheap person, $100 or so makes all the difference. Macs are user friendly and never get viruses, and nearly every week Apple sends out free virus/secruity protection updates that update themselves. They are like people, and they make sense, the way they operate and all. You probably arent interested, but maybe some of you users who say how badly PC's crush Mac's in performance may want to look here:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

The green bars are macs, the other colors are PC's.

As for the monitor matching, most Apple's come in "packages", where the entire computer is built as a single console, except for the power-driving G5's. The mouse and keyboard comes with it, so I am bit confused on what you are saying. Apple is nearly done perfecting the G6 (nearly the equal to a pentium 6, if ever invented), while PC's still linger on Pentium 4 and similar models.

As for the macmini (the small mac you specified earlier), it is just 6.5 inches square wide and 2 inches tall, thats small! It even has all the necessary ports aswell, more info can be found here:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Yes its true, Macs have never been leading the gaming in the computer area, but thats because most PC's are used for gaming purposes, whereas macs are used for other purposes, such as graphic and art design. Almost every guy in school has a gaming PC, because they want to game, not create Photopshop files.

However Microsoft, although they did create Windows XP, they also create software for macs, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Entourage and some others aswell, so its not like they cant make the games accessible for mac users, its more of the matter of cash. With the recent collaborations of Microsoft and Apple, I would not be suprised to see many PC only microsoft products, created for macs too, in the coming years. Either that, or Apple will continue a computer revolution and begin making games or a program that can open executable files (.exe). That would end alot of the trouble of PC users not wanting to convert to Macs.

Wow I just typed alot, so I am going to bed, please comment, and remember to try and stay on topic and sign the petition!

http://www.freewebs.com/nighthawk_gr/thetitanspetition.htm

Brtnboarder495
Mortal
posted 07 March 2005 08:26 PM EDT (US)     60 / 73       
btw AoJ, PC's come the exact same way. My dad has.... had a PC, that he actually donated to a church because it sucked so much, he got it only a few months ago.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames