You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.62 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » The Most Likely Choice For Expansion Pack Civ(should there be one...)
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Most Likely Choice For Expansion Pack Civ(should there be one...)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
thawky
Mortal
posted 25 November 2001 10:09 PM EDT (US)         
Is the Persians. Not only do they fit the time period, but they were also the main enemies of the Greeks during their reign. It would be idea to match them up with the Greeks in the campaign as well. It could involve the battles of Salamis and Thermopolae as well as Marathon. Another part of the campaign could be Alexander the Great's invasion of parts of Persia...historically and in a game sense, it matches up very well, should there be an expansion pack. I don't normally like to theorize like this, but this big block of wisdom came down and hit me square in the head...I dunno, lemme hear your thoughts about this, it's just been eating at my mind for a day or two and I wanna hear what other people think about this.

thawky
I'm heaven sent...don't you dare forget.

My tongue's the only muscle on my body that works harder than my heart.

AuthorReplies:
thawky
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 07:20 AM EDT (US)     31 / 62       
IV, not all of them ran into each other, but the Mayans at least had some contact with the English, Spanish, and other seafaring nations. If they were included in this game, it would represent a step backwards in terms of realism. I've said it before, but despite the fact that the game does have myths, it does have to be somewhat realistic as well, probably more realistic than AOK was in order to get people to buy into the myth part of it.

thawky

bismark27511
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 02:23 PM EDT (US)     32 / 62       
Christianity in aom is the worst idea i have ever heard in a forum. ever... once again

-NO MUS TO PUT IN, UNLESS you want jesus, which if he died would make every christian out there sue ES sending them outta business and destroying the saga of age of mythology... someone said something about peter and john- ah yes, the john the baptist is the one with the gray beird, yes with camel hair- he can... uh... heal people? and peter- he can um... heal people too? ah a monk civ i see- good idea ***major sarcasm*** oh angels how about those? if they werent invincible then it would work!

- monotheism again- all of the other civs have deities and sub-deities which make the game interesting. the gameplay would be completely different... just impossible

- everyone thats a christian wont buy it, and as the US is primarily a christian, what are u talking bout?

gimme a break, no offense everybody

If u arent one of those scenario playin, black forest loving, drop-tricking, red ping, econ booming, WALLING, 0 gamer, WONDER BUILDING, incompleters, come to rated and we can have an AOE game like it is supposed to be played...
Ashur
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 03:34 PM EDT (US)     33 / 62       
Thawky,

You are misunderstanding it. Historical relevance does not matter at all in this game, or is extremely little. The single player campaigns calls for a story in which all three myths join together. This means that they are obvisouly not focusing at historical relevance. Rather, the importance is the myth itself, and not the history. I don't ever recall Norse myth and Greek myth interwine, so that means ES is taking stuff that had nothing to do with each other, and making it interact. Therefore, I don't see how mayans would be ruled out, not saying that they should be in there either.

The persians... They did have multiple gods, but Zoroastrianism is still practiced today, so that would not be a good choice.

Christianity... You must be joking.

mikey
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 05:25 PM EDT (US)     34 / 62       
I think that you are all taking the offending religions thing a bit to far. The christians, they would suck if they were included, but they would get offended. Hell, a school here in the great southern land has just banned Harry Potter. But i doubt that those who are following the old religions today would be all that upset, provided that ES was fairly accurate in describing the religions.

I am not claiming to be an avid folower, but i am signed up to a few online pagan( as in celtic pagan) groups. I feel that i am in a position to say that i, and those who follow the religion more devotly, would not be offended. The game, if it did include celts, would not insult us. Providing it was an acurate depiction of the religion.

The reason i DONT want to see persians in there is war elephants. I absolutly hate playing against persians.

The first casualty in war is the truth.

Alcohol is the cause and solution of all lifes problems. - Homer Simpson

History is always written by the victors

thawky
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 05:45 PM EDT (US)     35 / 62       
*takes minute to calm down*

Quoted from Ashur:
You are misunderstanding it. Historical relevance does not matter at all in this game, or is extremely little. The single player campaigns calls for a story in which all three myths join together. This means that they are obvisouly not focusing at historical relevance. Rather, the importance is the myth itself, and not the history. I don't ever recall Norse myth and Greek myth interwine, so that means ES is taking stuff that had nothing to do with each other, and making it interact. Therefore, I don't see how mayans would be ruled out, not saying that they should be in there either.

Ok...here's how that time period works. The Egyptians came first but still had interaction with Greeks, albeit early Greeks to an extent. Soon after, the Egyptians were gone. Then, you had the Minoans on the island of Crete. They get wiped out for whatever reason and you're left with the Myceneans(sp?) on the Greek peninsula and surrounding island. Then, the Dorians, a tribe from the NORTH(read Norse) come down and conquer the guys living in Greece. All of the myths are fairly intertwined actually, the only difference is that there are some different gods and names for gods. The Norse had gods of snow because snow was important in their life. The Egyptians had never seen snow, so they didn't have a snow god. But Gods overlapped, and some stories were the same in all three cultures, despite the different names of gods and such. Some even have the same myths. Historically, this game does work, which is important for the mytholigical aspect to be beliveable. If the game had the Chinese, the Americans, and the Greek at this time, it wouldn't work at all, regardless of how good the storyline was, because it is still a historically based game, which wouldn't allow that to happen.

Done, open for comments.

thawky

IV1066
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 08:34 PM EDT (US)     36 / 62       
Quote:
Then, the Dorians, a tribe from the NORTH(read Norse) come down and conquer the guys living in Greece.

Er... I've never heard of the Dorians being related to the Norse, other than maybe that they both have Indo-European language roots. I don't even know if they share that. Have any books/websites that show that the Dorians and Norse were connceted?

thawky
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 08:47 PM EDT (US)     37 / 62       
I'm not gonna be able to look it up tonight, I did some brief research right now and found out that they did speak the same language but in different dialects...I'll look up some more tomorrow.

thawky

alLan Mandragoran
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 08:48 PM EDT (US)     38 / 62       
werent the mayans all in boring little farming villages when the spanish came over? they had long abandoned their cities and the english no, they didnt come over there.

ok i dont really care what the civ is that they put in there!! eskimos would be fun hehe

BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 09:19 PM EDT (US)     39 / 62       
I think Thawky is worrying too much about history and reality on a game based on mythology were you get to control a minotaur and ask Zeus for a meteor shower....
:0)

I think we have all seen mayans versus koreans in the conquerors and we didn't complain. For me i think whatever ES does is ok cause i know it will be a great game!!

PS: AoM isn't even released yet and you're all talking about XPacks!?
GIMME A BREAK!

Ashur
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 09:22 PM EDT (US)     40 / 62       
The Dorians did not believe in Norse Mythology (I could be wrong, but I don't think so), therefore they are not the Norse represented in the game. My point is, the historical part only goes as far as the civ itself. Anything else from that, is not a concern in the game. The single player campaign in the game will feature a mythological setting which means it's not a clear historical event. The Persian wars and Alex's conquest is a historical event and not a mythological event, and would not fit. Well, unless they force it into the game, but It would be no fun to see Alexander commanding hydras and minotars.

But... I am going to stop arguing now because It's pointless and I don't favor the mesoamericans to be in there anyways.

BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 27 November 2001 09:24 PM EDT (US)     41 / 62       
and another thing: i know someone will come up with something like:
"...uh, the koreans did meet the mayans back when they all lived in harmony in atlantis. then came the egyptians who joined forces with the Indus and asked Ra to destroy atlantis..."
if that happens lemme post my reply right now:

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

The_Excaliboy
Mortal
posted 07 December 2001 03:39 PM EDT (US)     42 / 62       
I am a newbie, and I was thinking about the whole Xpack thing. I think that:

1. Monotheism will NOT work in AOM for obvious reasons.

2. The Aztec and Mayan cultures highly interest me and I think they would be valuable additions to an Xpack.

3. There is a 60% or higher chance the Chinese or Japanese will be in the Xpack.

4. Persians? name 3 gods

Thanks, Excaliboy

mikey
Mortal
posted 07 December 2001 05:38 PM EDT (US)     43 / 62       
One persian god is mithras. Who was as i said before adopted by the romans and the celts, and is the basis for christianity.

The first casualty in war is the truth.

Alcohol is the cause and solution of all lifes problems. - Homer Simpson

History is always written by the victors

The_Excaliboy
Mortal
posted 07 December 2001 08:35 PM EDT (US)     44 / 62       
That's one

Do you know 2 more????
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
I didn't think so.

I live in a wonderful world, a happy world,
Full of smiles and cookies and other good things.
Where everyone has the same political status,
A world without war, poverty, disease or hatred.
But we get free internet access, so what the heck,
Life is full of trade-offs, right?
Seqenenre Tao
posted 08 December 2001 00:32 AM EDT (US)     45 / 62       
China, and Assyio-Babylonian.

Not sure about any of the Meso-American civs, since some of them actually still practice their ancient religions.

But considered the new neo-pagan beliefs, many of which center around ancient Gaelic religions......Im not sure about the Celts either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judeo/Christian culture....ARE YOU NUTS?

Do think Zeus, Odin, and Osiris can stand up to Yahweh?

Arch-Angels can kick the crap outta Anubites/Centaurs/Deermen......

As for God powers...The Great Flood, THE 10 PLAGUES, and that fire storm that annihilated two whole cities like Sodom and Gemorrah (sp?)!

~}Kataastaas, Kagalang-galang ng Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan{~
(The High, Honorable Society of the Sons of the People)
Mabuhay ang Maharlika!

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/wellletsseehere.jpg
Cuautemoc
Mortal
posted 08 December 2001 04:39 AM EDT (US)     46 / 62       
how about the mesopotamians? they had trade contacts with the egyptians..... harrappans????thuogh i dont think there is enough knowledge about them... the early harrappan cities were beter planned than cities even today!!!

Id challenge you to a battle of wits; but u appear to be unarmed
The_Darkmaster
Mortal
posted 08 December 2001 10:52 AM EDT (US)     47 / 62       
Quoted from The_Excaliboy:
4. Persians? name 3 gods

Check this out.

I am the sovereign of the world. I am...THE DARKMASTER
apachethehun
Banned
posted 08 December 2001 12:06 PM EDT (US)     48 / 62       
good choices::::

Assyrians*
Aztecs**
Chinese***
Persians****

Dark Age warrior
Mortal
posted 08 December 2001 02:23 PM EDT (US)     49 / 62       
I would love to have the celts in AOM.
The_Excaliboy
Mortal
posted 08 December 2001 03:25 PM EDT (US)     50 / 62       
Oh yeah? Darkmaster, do you know one more?????

*remembers that BBBBIIIGGGG LLLOOONNNGGGG list and falls over*

*gets back up*

*runs from keyboard screaming something about the darkmaster humiliating him on the Net.*

*cries like a baby to mommy about bad internet manners*

*gets carried away with the *'s

Seqenenre Tao
posted 09 December 2001 11:29 AM EDT (US)     51 / 62       
Persia's religion still exists and is still worhsipped. Its called ZOROASTERIANISM.

~~~~~~

Again, its gonna be Mesopotamian/Assyrio-Babylonian type with gods like Baal, Ishtar, and etc. culture and the Chinese.

Mabuhay ang Maharlika!

The_Excaliboy
Mortal
posted 09 December 2001 01:33 PM EDT (US)     52 / 62       
The Incas are a probable choice, too

I live in a wonderful world, a happy world,
Full of smiles and cookies and other good things.
Where everyone has the same political status,
A world without war, poverty, disease or hatred.
But we get free internet access, so what the heck,
Life is full of trade-offs, right?
thawky
Mortal
posted 09 December 2001 07:22 PM EDT (US)     53 / 62       
Incas loosely fit the time period, but it would be hyperunrealistic for them to fight the Norse and Egyptians and Greeks. The Persians at least had minor interaction with all three, with a major impact on the Greeks and minor effects on Norse and Egyptians.

thawky

PseudoKnight
Mortal
posted 09 December 2001 07:49 PM EDT (US)     54 / 62       
I think it would be interesting for gameplay if the x-pack civ was Chinese.
Seqenenre Tao
posted 09 December 2001 11:55 PM EDT (US)     55 / 62       
Perhaps some of you need to travel to the Andes or at least learn about the andean peoples of today.

You'll find that they still worship their ancient deities....again. Their not gonna be there.

Mabuhay ang Maharlika!

bismark27511
Mortal
posted 12 December 2001 11:24 AM EDT (US)     56 / 62       
chinese definately. its really gonna change the game alot if u put awhole new culture in... think about ra2yr (i h8 westwood)... o well im gonna concentrate on aom no xpack first

If u arent one of those scenario playin, black forest loving, drop-tricking, red ping, econ booming, WALLING, 0 gamer, WONDER BUILDING, incompleters, come to rated and we can have an AOE game like it is supposed to be played...
Ashur
Mortal
posted 12 December 2001 05:32 PM EDT (US)     57 / 62       
Assuming there is only one civ in the xpac, I would say:
-75% chance It would be Assryo-Babylonian. They had a similar structure as the other three in gods, heroes, and mosters.
-Chance for Persians are small. I only know 2 persian gods and they're religion is still practiced today.
-Chances for Mesoamericans are small. Mainly because they would be too far "off topic" (not saying that I'm ignorant of mesoamer myth)
-Chances for Chinese are small. Some may like it but, many of the myths (like the Monkey King/Journey to the West) deals with buddist gods...
-No chance for monotheistic religions.

I personally would like to have mongols in the game, but nobody would support me here... lol

thawky
Mortal
posted 12 December 2001 06:16 PM EDT (US)     58 / 62       
Babylonian would also work out fairly well...I agree with you.

thawky

gone_postal
Mortal
posted 12 December 2001 10:55 PM EDT (US)     59 / 62       
I would definitely like babylonians...

He kicked me in the back
when i wasn't looking,
so I kicked him twice in the face
when he was.

gone postal

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 12 December 2001 11:14 PM EDT (US)     60 / 62       
Its about time i responded to this thread, and i have alot to say

Quote:
But ES defines mythology as "Religion that is dead, not practiced anymore

Where? I never heard any ES dude say this. Some forumer a long time ago said that there MAY be a problem with MS lawyers, but its not a specific policy to my knowledge.

Also, those who said its based on Mythological facts, and not historical facts are most likely correct. The Norse didn't have much of a history.

When i make my discisiion on the next best Civ that might be put in a Expansion Pack if ES decides to even make one, and if they even decide to put another civ; i look at all the possible civs.

You have the Native Americans. They have a very unique and interesting Mythology, that i personally would be interested in playing and learning about. However, there aren't very many possible "MUs" that i can think of, and it wouldn't be very playable.

You have the Aztec/Mayans/Incas. Again, very Unique Mythologies that would be fun to learn. I think these Myths have some dragons or serpents or something. Not sure.

You have Different parts of Africa. Maybe Zulu or something. I don't even know if they had Mythologies, but i might be interested.

You have middle-eastern Myths. This may include the Isrealites(sp). I think this would be fairly fun. However, you only have one god, who is God. But i think you might be able to split it into different times. Maybe, "The God of Jacob", "The God of Abraham", "The God of Issac". Maybe "The God of David", or "Christianity" might be combined into this sector. maybe in the last age, you could switch your empire over to Christianity. Possible God Powers would be a Giant pillar of Fire, maybe raining Sulfur and Brimstone, (really cool), or plaque of darkness, cattle, locusts, ect.

You have Your Eastern Myths, which i know little about. I do know that it has dragons, and that'd be cool.

Its hard for me to pick a favorite of mine. And the most likely choice is basically impossible to say. So I can't give you one. But i provided the info.... It'd either be Isrealites or Eastern Mythology.

Thankyou

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Compa_Mighty
Mortal
posted 14 December 2001 12:39 PM EDT (US)     61 / 62       
Aztecs or chinese

Co-Author of the Aztec Civilization Outline for AoM.
Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro to do The Hobbit!
Chichén Itzá is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World!
Seqenenre Tao
posted 14 December 2001 11:40 PM EDT (US)     62 / 62       
I see no one has heard of things like political correctness.

If you add a monotheistic faith, your gonna get backlash. Its better to put ancient Chinese and/or ancient Babylonian myths in the game.

Pick up a cool mythology book, which I have 5 of them, 2 of which I've had long before ES announced AOM.

~~~~~

Check out some websites too. It may give some of you ideas about probable new MUs and Godpowers in an AOM x-pack.

The only way ES will make an X-pack is if AOM sells very well. Both AOK and AOE sold well, and each had X-packs. Its all about BUSINESS.

Mabuhay ang Maharlika!

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames