You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.76 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Man I stink at AOM
Bottom
Topic Subject:Man I stink at AOM
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Hedrought
Mortal
posted 23 September 2008 07:04 PM EDT (US)         
Okay so I decide to play 3v3 on the map where your allies are really close to eachother. (Forget what it is called)
For my Allies I set a defender and an attacker.

For my enemies I set default, attacker and defender.
I was playing Zeus.

I diden't do too terrible but I was kind of behind, and I was barely able to fend of a pretty big wave of the enemy troops.
One thing I noticed though was that all teams had loads of villagers and farms everywhere, Multiple barracks. And a good army.
My army was fair, not as good as the CPU's but again not too bad. Although I had about 10 villagers.

Can someone teach me some defending and attacking strategies for Greek favoruing players?

PS: My real life backround is Norse

Life is but an illusion of particles and energy.
AuthorReplies:
Ironclaw77
Mortal
posted 23 September 2008 07:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 76       
When was the last post that wasn't such a generic question, like "I suck, tell me what to do" or "How do you win wtih Egyptian".

My first advice:

• Stop playing the computer. Obviously you have internet access so o online. I don't care if you suck, so do other people. You might lose points but in the end it will help you. You can also play advanced setup non rated games that will help you more.

• Watch recorded games. This site itself has some decent recorded games for someone at your level. If you want serious stuff check out age of titans sanctuary.

• Post recorded games. You can try to describe what you are doing but it is easier to watch, and people will watch if you ask.
    Okay so I decide to play 3v3 on the map where your allies are really close to eachother. (Forget what it is called)
    For my Allies I set a defender and an attacker.
    That doesn't help me. Seeing the recorded game however will.

• Finally, Read Guides!!! When i first came to this site I didn't instantly click on forums I read some of he excellent guides first. They will give you more help then in this thread and probably the next three you will make.

This is pretty basic stuff, really the forum guide should be underneath the name like at HG main.
Can someone teach me some defending and attacking strategies for Greek favoruing players?
I can not answer that because I do not know who you are playing, what units they are using, what units you are using, and what strategy you are trying to use.

The best advice you will get:
Walls+Towers.

I R O N C L A W 7 7
Everything that shines ain't always
gonna be gold.
Hedrought
Mortal
posted 23 September 2008 07:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 76       
Will do, but dident have to get so mad about everything.

Ironclaw77
Mortal
posted 23 September 2008 07:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 76       
I am not mad at you specifically my friend but if you'll look at the last like 20 posts they are shockingly similar.

I R O N C L A W 7 7
Everything that shines ain't always
gonna be gold.
Devil_Exile
Mortal
posted 23 September 2008 08:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 76       
Although I had about 10 villagers.
And I wonder why you do so terrible...you can only get an army, or ANYTHING for that matter with a strong economy, hence LOTS OF VILLAGERS
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 24 September 2008 03:22 AM EDT (US)     5 / 76       
Yes. By watching what your CPU allies do, you should have noticed that they make waaay more villagers and use them to gather resources (and to build stuff in case of non-Norse). You should do all that Ironclaw said, but for starters, do not stop vill production all through the game until you have at least like 20 per resource (!) (having even more is not a bad thing).

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
Hedrought
Mortal
posted 24 September 2008 06:46 PM EDT (US)     6 / 76       
20 people per resource?!

I thought I was doing good with 20 people in total!

Well I guess that it is nessasary once I tackle at Online.

Survivor Fo
Banned
posted 24 September 2008 07:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 76       
wow this is funny. And your making way too many threads.
Hedrought
Mortal
posted 24 September 2008 10:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 76       
Yeah well I dont see anywhere that say's that I can't make any threads so piss off.

TTK_GeneralNoob
Mortal
posted 24 September 2008 11:08 PM EDT (US)     9 / 76       
It's just forum etiquette that you post 1 or 2 posts that have similar questions/topics rather then one post for one question.

So:

Always max out vill count (80 vills!)
Make donkey caravans from markets (made in the heroic age) and task them to the furthest allied TC.. make 10-20. These accumulate gold for you. Finally, get all your economy and armory upgrades. Upgrades are very important. Once you have a good economy, you can make as many army units as you like.

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
-Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
-Vagabond Tom.

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 09-24-2008 @ 11:09 PM).]

Survivor Fo
Banned
posted 24 September 2008 11:17 PM EDT (US)     10 / 76       
Yeah well I dont see anywhere that say's that I can't make any threads so piss off.
All your threads are related to one subject: You like to play vs computer players/you suck.
DeathAndPain
Mortal
posted 25 September 2008 02:45 AM EDT (US)     11 / 76       
20 people per resource?!

I thought I was doing good with 20 people in total!

Well I guess that it is nessasary once I tackle at Online.
Since having that many vills is generally part of good playing, it would be wise if you adopted to it as early as now. Even vs CPU this will make you stronger. That being said, continued playing vs CPU will not improve your AoM skill. To the contrary, you will mis-learn the game, because what you learn to work vs CPU will fail you online, while tactics that fail vs CPU are viable vs human opponents. If you plan on honing your skills for play vs human opponents, do that right online in rated 1v1 games.
You are perfectly right. Ignore those remarks.
It's just forum etiquette that you post 1 or 2 posts that have similar questions/topics rather then one post for one question.
I cannot see multiple threads of him with similar questions/topics. He uses the forum the way a forum is designed to be used: One thread per subject.

Multiple times in the past guys have come up with the idea to create one thread for all questions, but this idea is useless. Such a thread is always destined to become chaotic, with answers to different questions being mixed up so that nobody keeps an overview, and part of the questions often goes unanswered. Meanwhile, the thread list of the forum appears deserted, as less threads are posted. More threads mean a more-alive forum, and as long as all of them have specific subjects that suit the topic of the forum itself, they are to be embraced.

The concept of threads is to separate different subjects, and Hedrought follows it very well. As long as all of his threads are meaningful, what he does means bringing new life into this forum.

There is no "one-thread-per-user"-rule, and having one would be silly.
Always max out vill count (80 vills!)
No, not always. Having max vills is not good when:

• You are Norse. You would end up having 80 vills plus 40 dwarves plus some ox carts as economic units, leaving pretty much no pop space for military. But Norse vills are more effective anyway, with the good gold gathering rate of dwarves and the lesser drop-site-distance of hunters and wood gatherers (due to mobile carts), so you need less of them for the same resource income. In return you need to spend some pop on carts though, so you can view these as additional vills.

• You are Atlantean. You will want the max number of regular citizens, but maxing out the number of citizen heroes on top of that is usually not worth it, for citizen heroes are expensive and less pop-efficient (except perhaps for constructing buildings). Instead, add caravans so that your existing citizens can focus on food and wood.

• You have caravans or fishing boats. These effectively replace your gold/food villies. With 20 caravans trading, still having 80 vills means 100 pop in eco and only 60 in military (in a typical 3-TC-scenario). Not enough to fight the enemy effectively.
    Once you have a good economy, you can make as many army units as you like.
    Until your pop limit is reached, which will be very soon if you overdo it with the vills.
    All your threads are related to one subject: You like to play vs computer players/you suck.
    Untrue. Correct is that he is a beginner, so he has lots of questions. But every single of his questions are usually well defined:

• What is the point/purpose/value of mercs?

• How many vills should I have, and how should I use them?

• What is the use of cheat codes in online games?

• Which civ do you like most? (even though I agree that this matter has been discussed a thousand times and needs no further repetition)

He even created a "multiple questions" thread in which he grouped several minor questions. But generally, the way he is posting is in perfect accordance with the forum design, and keeps the forum clear and organized, and his threads meaningful. Just drop the "one-thread-for-everything"-idea. It defeats the concept of organizing a forum into threads. Having many threads is a good thing as long as every single of them fits into the forum and is well-defined topic-wise.

Darkness is a state of mind
    Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
    Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
  • TTK_GeneralNoob
    Mortal
    posted 25 September 2008 08:15 AM EDT (US)     12 / 76       
    @Dap

1. If he is playing Zeus 80 vills is an acceptable amount

2. Note the similar questions/topics.

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
    -Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
    -Vagabond Tom.

Crusading Knight
    Mortal
    posted 25 September 2008 10:34 AM EDT (US)     13 / 76       
    LOL.

Really, if you want to improve, do the following:

Play online, it will improve your skills greatly. It's not as hard as you would think.

Never stop producing villagers. Once you start the game, click the villager button and then the Autoque button. The more villagers you have, the more resources you will have which means you will be able to afford more military units. It's that simple (kind of).

Build houses around your towers.

Start food production first.

Build your Temple at the front of your settlement.

If your enemy trains infantry, you should train ranged units, if your enemy trains ranged units, you should train cavalry, if your enemy trains cavalry, you should train infantry. Do you understand the relationship?

Advance to the Classical Age no later than 00:06:30.

Keep spending your resources. Saving them is pointless.

///~~[Crusading Knight]~~\\\
    \\\~~[Crusading Knight]~~///
    And when he gets to Heaven,
    To Saint Peter he will tell,
    One more soldier reporting Sir,
    I've served my time in Hell.
    Nirwanda
    Mortal
    posted 25 September 2008 03:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 76       
    If your enemy trains infantry, you should train ranged units, if your enemy trains ranged units, you should train cavalry, if your enemy trains cavalry, you should train infantry.
    I tend to counter infantry with infantry, actually.

henk14
    Mortal
    posted 25 September 2008 03:59 PM EDT (US)     15 / 76       
    Instead of countering infantry with infantry, you should counter infantry with counter infantry,

/-\ () |\/||-| Rules!
    Respect the Moderators Authority.
    Nirwanda
    Mortal
    posted 25 September 2008 05:26 PM EDT (US)     16 / 76       
    Instead of countering infantry with infantry, you should counter infantry with counter infantry
    And counter infantry isn't infantry?

DragonQ
    SC2H Seraph
    posted 25 September 2008 05:37 PM EDT (US)     17 / 76       
    Not if it's a Cheiroballista.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
    There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
    But you can't take the sky from me...
    Hedrought
    Mortal
    posted 25 September 2008 07:47 PM EDT (US)     18 / 76       
    Thanks for all the help!
    Especially to DeathAndPain for defending my rights. And giving valuble tips.

I will try online tonight.

BlackSun88
    Banned
    posted 26 September 2008 08:16 PM EDT (US)     19 / 76       
    lol @ people saying never stop making vills
    Dudis
    Mortal
    posted 26 September 2008 08:18 PM EDT (US)     20 / 76       
    at some point you should stop right?
    TTK_GeneralNoob
    Mortal
    posted 26 September 2008 08:44 PM EDT (US)     21 / 76       
    Hmmm dum post by me -_-'

-Wartrain.

-Vagabond Tom.

[This message has been edited by TTK_GeneralNoob (edited 09-26-2008 @ 08:50 PM).]

BlackSun88
    Banned
    posted 26 September 2008 10:13 PM EDT (US)     22 / 76       
    Imo its relative to how your economy is doing, i usually stop vills if i have a sustainable economy with decent amounts of trade(I dont have a vill counter, but you can usually sense what your eco is needing if it needs anything)

In the grand scale of things, a few vills doesnt take that much pop away from army, but 50 food from 3 tc's(150 food total at a time) training constantly and filling in all those 1 popslots that out prioitize military( in terms of when you have free pop spaces, lower pop units create first) can be annoying and counter productive in terms of creating a sustainable army.
    Hedrought
    Mortal
    posted 27 September 2008 00:29 AM EDT (US)     23 / 76       
    Yeah but it usually ends up were I really need resources, but then later on I have everything upgraded and the huge amount of villagers is a waste of pop.

Arus_II
    Mortal
    posted 27 September 2008 02:13 PM EDT (US)     24 / 76       
    Dont upgrade eveything before you already have a decent army and have attacked. For example, dont upgrade levy barracks if you are already making Migdol units.
    Hedrought
    Mortal
    posted 27 September 2008 03:41 PM EDT (US)     25 / 76       
    Good plan, And having mutiple military buildings like for an example 2 barracks, Is so helpful. I can get a large army so much quicker by doing that.

Dudis
    Mortal
    posted 27 September 2008 07:48 PM EDT (US)     26 / 76       
    Yes you should always build more than one military building.
    Hedrought
    Mortal
    posted 27 September 2008 09:46 PM EDT (US)     27 / 76       
    Now im a Greek player, which are good minor Gods to go with, and which are minor Gods that I should stay away from?

Major_Rackham
    Banned
    posted 27 September 2008 10:11 PM EDT (US)     28 / 76       
    All good, depends on situation.
    aZeusdude
    Mortal
    posted 28 September 2008 00:27 AM EDT (US)     29 / 76       
    I had the same problem once. What I do now is when the game starts, I begin training a villiger and I put the repeat thing on. I start out on food. You will need it so other villagers can also be trained. Once you have a decent amount on food, you can go on to other resources. Always keep training villigers, and when you train something else from your town center, the repeat for the villigers will stop, unless u r advancing. Once u advance build about 2 barracks, 1 archer and 1 stable. Keep training small amounts at a time and soon you will have a large force. Make sure u don't forget about that. I learned this from recorded games with me fighting the enemy and from others playing. It's hard at first but u will get the hang of it eventually Good Luck!
    Hedrought
    Mortal
    posted 28 September 2008 00:59 AM EDT (US)     30 / 76       
    Thanks man! good advice, but how do you auto create villagers?

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames